Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting issues

Hey all,
    It seems that my '80 GS550E needs to be push started whenever I wanna ride. Just got back from a 40 minute ride, killed the engine, and when I hit the starter all I heard was a click. This leads me to believe that it isn't the starter motor however I could be wrong. The voltage on the battery read 10.77V and I understand I probably need around 11.5 to turn the engine over. I guess the problem may be from my charging system however before I went for the ride the battery was near dead. I didn't measure voltage before the ride, however the panel lights where very dim before the ride compared to fully bright after. Let me know what you think.

Do the charging system tests in The Stator Papers.

Simple tests, described to the point you don't even need to know how to use your multimeter. It tells you how to set it up, where to test, what the results mean, how to fix the bike.

Do a search, it's on this site somewhere.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Great I'll give it a shot, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ndimitri48 View Post
        ....however the panel lights where very dim before the ride compared to fully bright after. ....
        THat sounds like the charging system is working some what, but still not enough by your other descriptions if battery voltage was only 10.5v.

Should be well over 12 with engine off,
        and well over 13 when engine running at mid rpms.

Stator papers are on "In the garage." back on GSR Home page (not the fourm, homepage).

Last edited by Redman; 04-19-2014, 08:45 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
        X