Air Pods that fit a 1977 gs550!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Pods that fit a 1977 gs550!?!

I have been having a hard time finding air pods that actually fit my '77 gs550.
    Air box was removed by p/o and fitted with the foam UNI filters, which I do not like and the bike ran like **** when I bought it.
    First, I purchased the cheap EMGO filters which did not fit. Decided to go for the K&N and ordered the ones recommended by their site (RC 2314)
    Still don't fit! they are actually longer than the EMGO pods.
    WTF?
    I found a poster here who had the RC 2550 filters but I'm concerned because the neck (of the K&N RC2550) is 48mm inside diameter and my carbs outer diameter is 40mm. They have an overall length of 2 1/2" which is perfect because I need a maximum of 3"
    What do I do?

No recommendation on the filters, just reminding you that the carbs will need rejetting with those filters. Not just bumping the mains either.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The K&Ns I have on my '79 550 have two short and two longer filters, I'll see if i can find the part number for the set. It fits perfectly.

Edit, this is it:

Had to change jetting a lot.
      Last edited by tkent02; 04-20-2014, 04:53 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        No recommendation on the filters, just reminding you that the carbs will need rejetting with those filters. Not just bumping the mains either.

Yes, got that all sorted. Bike runs waaaaay better than it did. The re-jet was the first thing I did.
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          The K&Ns I have on my '79 550 have two short and two longer filters, I'll see if i can find the part number for the set. It fits perfectly.

Edit, this is it:

!!!! OK, now we're talking! I had read somewhere these were available but couldn't find them anywhere. The minute I realized my K&N didn't fit, I called and spoke to rep - is there anything more frustrating than a rep who doesn't know their products! He was great about the return policy but couldn't recommend a filter to fit.

Comment

Edit, this is it:

Because the pods are different sizes, will they have to be jetted accordingly or will their be a universal solution?

Comment

I'm still getting it right, my jetting is not quite perfect yet, but it's close enough I can't tell the difference. If you are worried get four of the short ones. I really don't think it matters.

Comment

I'm still getting it right, my jetting is not quite perfect yet, but it's close enough I can't tell the difference. If you are worried get four of the short ones. I really don't think it matters.
                They aren't listed on the K&N website, I will pray they aren't discontinued. Will have to wait until tomorrow to call and see!
                Thanks for the tip!!

Comment

Buy them from NewEgg, that's where I got mine.

Comment

Working...
                  X