Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New in New Jersey - 1981 GS750E

Hey Guys -

Lots of great info here - thanks for being so thorough. I recently picked up an 81 GS750E - quite the upgrade from my previous 72 CB350. (Amazed at the tech upgrades in that time frame - doesnt seem quite as straightforward as the CB350) I've attached a pic of her.

Trying to work out some of the quirks on this beast - I've only put a few hundred miles on it so far. The bike needs full choke (pulling the knob hard) to start and quite the lengthy warmup before it will idle without choke. It also would occasionally bogs down/stumbles/sometimes stalls around the 1/4-1/2 throttle range (around 1.5K-3K) if I roll it on quick. Not as noticeable if I ease into it.

I'm assuming some of this has to do with the fact that the previous owner pulled the air filter box and just had an Emgo/Hiflow filter under the seat. Exhaust is a Vance & Hines 4into1. I picked up a stock air filter box with cover on ebay and I have a stock air filter arriving this week. Hope those help a bit - I have no idea what the current jetting situation is.

Over the weekend, I've been unable to get the bike started. Seems like the battery charge is low - I have it on the tender today. Hoping I can get it back started tonight. Filled up some low cells last night.

Does anyone have any recommendations for repair shops (or anyone that does some side work) in the central New Jersey area? I'm looking to find someone to give this thing a once over before I take over full time maintenance duties myself. I'm lacking the work space needed to really dive into things properly at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations and I greatly appreciate the wealth of info here.

Hey buddy! Where in NJ are you? Im up in the Montclair area.

Comment

Sounds like the carbs need some love/verification of settings. Search the site for, or simply google Basscliffs welcome, and you'll find a boatload of must do's for your cycle...
      Welcome to the site....Where in NJ are you? I dont know of any shops that cater to our old bikes, but this site is tremendously helpful.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
        Sounds like the carbs need some love/verification of settings. Search the site for, or simply google Basscliffs welcome, and you'll find a boatload of must do's for your cycle...
        Welcome to the site....Where in NJ are you? I dont know of any shops that cater to our old bikes, but this site is tremendously helpful.
        There is a place in Roselle Park, JDS Cycle that does. I've never been, but I've heard they are good. Circle Cycle is another place that works on old bikes. The owners is a nice guy, I've talked to him a few times, but I've not had work done there. Then there is a place in Old Tappan, in North Jersey, not sure I remember the name, but he worked on my bike. Nice enough guy, ood work, but a little expensive.

Comment

Thanks guys - I really appreciate the recommendations. I'm out in South Brunswick so I'll definitely check out some of these places.

Came home after leaving the Battery Tender connected all day - starter was cranking way faster and it started right up. I popped the air filter box in with the old Uni filter it came with (I got impatient - new filter is coming this week) and it seemed to make quite the difference. Still needs a decent amount of choke until it really gets up to operating temperature. Way more power and pull through 1/4-1/2 throttle.

Carbs will probably be the next thing on my agenda. I think ditching the fairing and swapping with a normal headlight will also happen. I found that post about the things to do first - looks like my work is cut out for me.

Comment

Wow, A friend of mine grew up in the Dayton section of S. Brunswick, and i spent a lot of time over there. Im just over in Freehold. Regarding your carbs... even though youre re installing the stock airbox, some jetting tweaks may still be required if you're keeping the 4-1 exhaust. Your best bet would probably be to verify the carbs and intake boots are 100%, then look into jetting. Member GSXR7ED just did this on a very similar bike, and documented it well. Im by no means an expert in this, but some here are......
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Maintenance

Originally posted by 180gramvinyl View Post
              Hey Guys -

Lots of great info here - thanks for being so thorough. I recently picked up an 81 GS750E - quite the upgrade from my previous 72 CB350. (Amazed at the tech upgrades in that time frame - doesnt seem quite as straightforward as the CB350) I've attached a pic of her.

Trying to work out some of the quirks on this beast - I've only put a few hundred miles on it so far. The bike needs full choke (pulling the knob hard) to start and quite the lengthy warmup before it will idle without choke. It also would occasionally bogs down/stumbles/sometimes stalls around the 1/4-1/2 throttle range (around 1.5K-3K) if I roll it on quick. Not as noticeable if I ease into it.

I'm assuming some of this has to do with the fact that the previous owner pulled the air filter box and just had an Emgo/Hiflow filter under the seat. Exhaust is a Vance & Hines 4into1. I picked up a stock air filter box with cover on ebay and I have a stock air filter arriving this week. Hope those help a bit - I have no idea what the current jetting situation is.

Over the weekend, I've been unable to get the bike started. Seems like the battery charge is low - I have it on the tender today. Hoping I can get it back started tonight. Filled up some low cells last night.

Does anyone have any recommendations for repair shops (or anyone that does some side work) in the central New Jersey area? I'm looking to find someone to give this thing a once over before I take over full time maintenance duties myself. I'm lacking the work space needed to really dive into things properly at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations and I greatly appreciate the wealth of info here.
              Welcome, I know how you feel about taking your bike to a shop for a quick check. I've also learned, most of what you need to fix you'll learn on your own by browsing the Maintenance areas and BassCliff's site: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

The shop I took my bike to in Dover did a compression test after installing the carbs...bench checked good. They also helped me figure out why the R/R wasn't regulating properly...I asked a question about grounding and the mechanic quickly knew which wire to relocate and bam, problem fixed.

That was back in Jan 2013 and I've been riding my bike since....with minimal problems until an oil leak got worse.

Here's the documented thread that's got me to my current status: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=216696

I've got a chrome V&H 4-1 and all I had to do was change the MAIN Jets (With the Help of MrBill) from stock 112.5 to 117.5. It was recommended I go to 120 Main Jets but I am happy with the performance I'm getting with my current set-up.

Good luck with your rebuild...sounds like you'll have to air-check the stock airbox and rebuild your carbs. (There are members here who will do it for a decent price too)

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
              Wow, A friend of mine grew up in the Dayton section of S. Brunswick, and i spent a lot of time over there. Im just over in Freehold. Regarding your carbs... even though youre re installing the stock airbox, some jetting tweaks may still be required if you're keeping the 4-1 exhaust. Your best bet would probably be to verify the carbs and intake boots are 100%, then look into jetting. Member GSXR7ED just did this on a very similar bike, and documented it well. Im by no means an expert in this, but some here are......
              Thanks for mentioning me DB.

Ed
              Last edited by GSXR7ED; 04-22-2014, 07:57 PM.
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Cool bike! And welcome to our little community. I'm just over the bridge from you. I have some tools and extra shims if you ever need them.

Comment

Thanks for all the info, guys.

Dorkburger, I'm in Kendall Park (basically the other side of Route 1 from Dayton) - definitely more open space on the Dayton side for things - some nice farmland cruising once you get out there. I took my CB350 down to the shore a few weeks ago and went through your area - will def have to take a trip back out. Saw this place ( when I was riding back on 526 - http://www.foreveryoungmotorcycles.com/ - had a few vintage bikes on the site so maybe some potential there.

GSXR7ED - I've been going over your build thread - tons of great info and it's helping me make a bit of a to-do list. Really great to have a bit of a walk through. Thanks!

SRG - Still need to make it to philly via bike. I've only crossed the PA border for New Hope and cruising along the Delaware but it needs to happen. And i love that Revzilla showroom.

Going to do a bit of an extended shakedown run this weekend this weekend after replacing the air filter. A friend of mine just got his first bike (jumped right into a HD SPortster 1200 - eeeps) so I'm heading up to the Poconos to do some riding. Need to remember to bring my multimeter so I can see how this battery holds up. PO said it was new but who knows. Reading up a bit on the batteries, the fact that some of the cells were so low has me a bit concerned. I'll pick up a new one if necessary when I get up there. Testing the charging system (though my electrical skills are a bit weak) and addressing the carbs are up first. No idea what sort of jetting is going on in there right now. Might send these out to one of the forum experts for a first crack at them.

The PO did mention that the air forks bleed off a bit - assuming that means I need fork seals. That said, I was checking my Clymer and trying to find a post on adding air but I'm not having much luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction of a post or let me know when the inlet is located?

Also noticed that there are a few disconnected wires under the seat (not sure if this is deliberate or they wiggled loose) - will post a pic when I get to the office. Tried to compare to the wiring diagram but I wasn't having much luck finding what was missing.

Comment

Kendall park is a nice starting point for a ride...Kingston, Hillsborough, not too far from the Skylands area of the state.....Nice. I rode to Philly one night years ago to see a show. I was sure I was going to get ran over on I 95.. and that was doing 80-85 mph just to keep up. Then I swear I was gouged for gas. I wasnt empty and the gas pump registered over 6 gallons! Good luck this weekend. Enjoy.
                    Last edited by dorkburger; 04-23-2014, 09:08 AM. Reason: add
                    sigpic

Glen
                    -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

These are the random detached wires I found when I took off the seat - close to the tail of the bike They all looked black (garage wasn't super light at the time so I could be wrong). Wasn't sure as I see 2 males/1 female - the dreaded bad college party ratio.

Comment

No Go Party Mix

Originally posted by 180gramvinyl View Post
                        These are the random detached wires I found when I took off the seat - close to the tail of the bike They all looked black (garage wasn't super light at the time so I could be wrong). Wasn't sure as I see 2 males/1 female - the dreaded bad college party ratio.

That is TOO Funny!

Does your fuel gauge work? Curious because it looks like the two connections for the fuel gauge. But then...where's the female gonna go?

Ed

EDIT: That's a little too far back for the fuel gauge wires...just a thought.
                        Last edited by GSXR7ED; 04-23-2014, 01:27 PM.
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Just follow the wires to wherever they go. You can use a voltmeter to check for continuity, and you might have to cut open some wire ties/wrapping/bunching. It depends on how bad you wanna figure it out :-P

Comment

Ha, the PO said the same thing regarding the fuel gauge when I asked him. It does work though and, seemingly, so does everything else. Going to try to dive into it next week. I really need a work light as it's too dark in the garage to see anything clearly without going blind.

Comment

I'm in the Somerset area. If you ever need help, my garage is practically rigged for GS work. I frequently ride a long the delaware, just gotta watch out for pot holes and fallen rocks!

Comment

Working...
                              X