No announcement yet.

New in New Jersey - 1981 GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I have one of these guys 1/3hp 3gal compressors - super tiny. http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...sor-69269.html

Probably making a Harbor Freight trip tomorrow. Do you think it would have enough power to run one of these two 3/8 impact wrench or butterfly version?

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Any idea which is better? This would be to break the fork bolt free. No vice so it's tough to get leverage. I get that the compressor is super underpowered but if I could get one good blast out of it to free the bolt, I think i'd be in business. Wouldn't mind if i only get one hit and then need to let the whole tank refill - seems like it would be handy every now and then.

Comment

Ended up getting them freed up with a little PB Blaster + torch + breaker bar. EZ-out on the rounded one. Def need to replace the bolts and crush washers as a precaution for next time. got a real set of hex sockets too - the ball-end type i had almost ruined me.

Borrowed the blind hole puller from autozone to pull the front wheel bearings - curious to see how this is going to turn out.

Comment

Nice. You're a hearty soul if you're working in an unheated garage....
        My biggest problem with winter maintenence is...... winter
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Fixing Stuff

Originally posted by 180gramvinyl View Post
          Guys, I was in a bit of a dark place. Got pretty frustrated and listed this on craigstlist a few months ago - no takers, ha. Had a bit of a change of heart and figured I might as well dive in and make a learning experience out of this. Things that have transpired in the past few months:
          Wait, what? Glad you had a change of heart.

1. clean garage so I have a small space to work
          2. Setup 1000W worklight so I can finally see
          3. installed center stand + purchased a tiny jack. first time either wheel has left the ground in my possession. probably won't be able to leave it on for riding as it hits the muffler...low priority right now
          Hmmm...maybe you need this attachment:

4. FINALLY REMOVED THAT GODAWFUL FAIRING. That was a make it or break it point for me. I had considered before but the wire patching going on in there made me a bit apprehensive. Ended up just taking out all the wiring from the fairing and stuffing it under the stock headlight bucket. I can probably chop off a foot of wire but that will be for another day. I'll have to post some pics but I briefly had the new (to me) square bucket installed. Previous owner did a patchy silver job so i'm going to strip and just do rattlecan black. Any suggestions for getting the paint off plastic? Wire wheel or something?
          Yes, please post pics...and you chopping up wires doesn't sound good.

5. FORKS! Time has finally come. Ordered some seals and a set of Sonic Springs. Forks are off and partly disassembled. Fork bolts are super stuck. I rounded one of the bottom bolts so that will be a problem. I guess just drill it out and hope for the best? Maybe jam a torx in there first like a stuck carb jet? I hear air wrench is the way to go. I'm contemplating picking up this cheap guy from HF and hoping it works? I have the smallest compressor (3gal) which I know is nowhere close to enough for an air wrench but I'm wondering if it would have enough power for a good single blast? I don't need the extended use at this time. Thoughts?

If I can get them apart, I'll probably replace the bushings (and I believe there are a few other pieces Mr. Bill typically suggests removing) - if not, I'll make due with the new seals/springs for the moment. The leg with the rounded bolt moves super smooth. The other seems a bit "grainy" - hoping a bit more cleaning the internals will ease that up. I do have a slight bit of rust/pits on the tubes - hoping a can clean that up a bit rather than needing new tubes yet. Grainy one actually was NOT leaking.
          Please take pics. I'm trying to picture these fork bolts you're using an "easy out" to remove and hoping for the best. (cringe)

Ed
          Last edited by GSXR7ED; 02-01-2015, 01:25 AM.
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Garage isn't too too bad - usually around 40 degrees but that halogen worklight actually puts out an admirable amount of hear for that space.

Ed - that centerstand bracket is sharp. Might have to whip up something similar. So just a piece of metal just mounted it to passenger peg bolt area? Not bad!

Finally read through the posting pics section on the BikeCliff website - probably should have done that a bit sooner - oops.

So here she is from the fall - still with fairing:

Generally looks decent but the exhaust is ugly - quite a bit of rust on the headers.

And it was this guy that gave me trouble. My fault for using a ball end bit on it first rather than the standard hex since I didn't have one long enough to reach.
            Last edited by Guest; 02-01-2015, 11:31 AM.

Comment

I like it. Definitely a good looking cycle.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks man. The one seemingly positive thing the PO did was get it repainted. Almost that coke bottle green color which I love. One bubble near the fill cap o. His watch and I put a few small scratches on the top when it was a bit too precariously placed during a carb synch.

Comment

Sonic Springs arrived last night - need to wait for the new bottom fork bolts to arrive before I can reassemble. Man, I was surprised at how much shorter than stock they are - glad there was a disclaimer in the instructions because I was wondering if I had the right ones for a few minutes, ha.

Comment

Started to reassemble the forks the other night - surprised to see the various in design across the GS line. I thought that I could put #5 on the below fiche in first and then put the inner fork tube in -WRONG. Had to destroy to get it back out. Another week of waiting to get a replacement.

Might need to ask for some reassembly advice on reassembly as 6 & 8 are confusing me. I'll take some pics soon if I can't figure it out.

General fork question though. The left side slides smoothly throughout the entire travel area when partially assembled - #5 and anything after not installed yet. The right side seems to be a bit sluggish on the final inch or two of expansion. Would this be the bushing or possibly a bent tube? I'd rather not take apart again as I put it together with loctite - will this be noticeable after I put the springs in/ride?

Comment

OK just want to make sure that I reinstall these things correct since I was an idiot and didn't pay enough attention when taking them apart. Hopefully you guys can offer some assistance as mine don't look quite like the tutorial example.

So from this fiche - I'm trying to determine what is what:

After installing the bushing (#5), which of the two rings in the photo below comes next? The fiche makes it look like #6 has a lip to it so is it that piece?

is this the right Order?
                      1. Bushing
                      2. 5 w/ lip up - right side in below pic
                      3. Fork Seal
                      4. "oil seal washer" on top of that - left side in below pic
                      5. retaining clip

Last edited by Guest; 02-12-2015, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Anybody? I read through the service manual and it doesn't really mention these other than "reassemble the same way you took them apart."

Comment

What's in a name?

I couldn't tell you. I need to replace Fork Seals on mine but have yet to begin the job. Try looking at the nomenclature in the IPB (sorry, I'm a supply troop/noun & Illustrated Parts Breakdown). See if you can decifer it by name.

Ed
                          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Yea, I think it mostly makes sense. The "Spacer, Seal" in the image below doesn't totally look like mine because it has a lip - just need to know whether to place it in the "concave" or "convex" manner...

Comment

Good words for right side up and upside down, aye!

Ed
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Oh yea, get those vocabulary points. In any case, the '83 service manual had some good pictures and my fork insides looked similar - concave is the way to go. Forks mostly reassembled - just need to cut the spaces and add oil. gettin there!

Comment

Working...
                                X