Will it work ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will it work ???

Will a GS650 rear cowl fit on a GS550 ? will it need a bit of modding?? love the low point on it and no open gap like the 550.

Does any one have one for sale ?

Also im having trouble with my rear wheel still, put it on and it to the right and the angle looks all wrong, anyone have any bike of there rear axle close up i can look at including the bearings ?

Thanks All

Something like this?

And I'll try to get a photo of my rear wheel later - I have to go out just now.
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Sorry - photo didn't show up - link here:

1980 GS550ET

Comment

rear of a 650 ?, yeah if you could take some close ups that would be great.

I like the 650 end as it looks cafe style, and can still get two up as do not want to cut,

some close ups of the rear ans the axle part would be great mate

Comment

The photo is an '81 550EX (not mine). I believe the tail section will match the mounting points on your frame, but you would probably need to swap the seat and side panels as well.

I'll go see what I can do re the rear wheel photos.
          1980 GS550ET

Comment

I couldn't find a photo of the bearings. But I have taken a couple of the rear wheel in situ

Working from the right, the spindle passes through: chain adjuster/swinging arm, caliper mount, 'top-hat'-shaped spacer, disc, wheel bearings, sprocket carrier bearing, cylindrical spacer, chain adjuster/swinging arm, washer, and then the castle nut.
            1980 GS550ET

Comment

thanks brother, this is spot on, its the spacers i had an issue with sorry. So this should help small spacer on the left and large on right as no other way for it to work !!! thanks

Comment

just looked at your photo bucket pics great help, how you get/keep it so clean ? new parts?

Comment

A couple of new parts, but mostly re-painted, re-plated, polished etc as applicable.
                  1980 GS550ET

Comment

now i know why it wont line up, the left hand side of the swing arm is buckled !! looks like i got to get a new one and a re-spray

Comment

All the on line oem parts sellers have parts books on their web sites. These are often very useful in figuring out how things were supposed to be assembled.

sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                        All the on line oem parts sellers have parts books on their web sites. These are often very useful in figuring out how things were supposed to be assembled.

http://www.partshark.com/fiche_secti...1977&fveh=2106

Thank you, and great link. But sadly my swing arm in bent looks like i have to get a new one

Comment

You're probably already aware that there are different varieties of 550 swinging arm. They'll all fit to any frame, but the brackets and threads on the right (brake) side vary. The first variety fits the original drum brake model. Then there's the arm that has the fittings for the hose/pipe/hose arrangement. And then the arm that has brackets for a one-piece hose.

You can always use P-clips to secure a hose, so it's not absolutely crucial you get the right one. But it might save you a bit of head-scratching!
                          1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
                            You're probably already aware that there are different varieties of 550 swinging arm. They'll all fit to any frame, but the brackets and threads on the right (brake) side vary. The first variety fits the original drum brake model. Then there's the arm that has the fittings for the hose/pipe/hose arrangement. And then the arm that has brackets for a one-piece hose.

You can always use P-clips to secure a hose, so it's not absolutely crucial you get the right one. But it might save you a bit of head-scratching!
                            seen them yes and wondered about them lol. thanks steve, will be looking on for a swing arm plus have surplus stuff like tank, origanl indicators, sissy bar etc so will but up for sale in ebay abd here. thanks again

Comment

Working...
                            X