New Member, from Texas, via California now living in London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member, from Texas, via California now living in London

Ya'll (tehe) have been helping me diagnose my ignition issues, so I must chime in and say HELLO officially!

Always wanted a little Cafe Racer, living in London, pretty much THE place to do it so I did.

Picked up a nice custom GS750 from a local builder, took about 5 months to get my license. LOVE LOVE LOVE the bike...never ridden anything quite like it. Center of gravity SOOOOooo low, it's crazy stable.

Here she is, it was love at first site. Thank GOD it was for sale.

As I said, we're having a bit of an ignition issue at the moment, appears to be something up with the DynaS, but with ya'lls help we'll get'r back on the roads in NO TIME....ok well it's been 2 weeks already, but soon no doubt!!!!

Nice job photographing that. I'm not usually a big fan of the cafe look, but that's so cleanly done that it's really a head-turner. Plus the wire wheels -- that always helps. The no-fender detail looks like it belongs on that bike, but I have to wonder how much debris you have to dig out of your eyes per mile...

From the news I've seen lately, you might get more use out of some type of watercraft for the time being! Did your area catch the flooding?
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I'm not a big fan of cafe's either but that one is sweet. Great looking bike. Will you have any difficulty with MOT ? I notice no turn signals......
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

What a sweetheart! Old school, kick starter. Looks like the same exhaust I have on my '82 1100e (V&H "Street Megaphone").

God save the Queen!

PS Where's the battery?
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Cafe Racer

Originally posted by erics75218 View Post
          Ya'll (tehe) have been helping me diagnose my ignition issues, so I must chime in and say HELLO officially!

Always wanted a little Cafe Racer, living in London, pretty much THE place to do it so I did.

Picked up a nice custom GS750 from a local builder, took about 5 months to get my license. LOVE LOVE LOVE the bike...never ridden anything quite like it. Center of gravity SOOOOooo low, it's crazy stable.

Here she is, it was love at first site. Thank GOD it was for sale.

As I said, we're having a bit of an ignition issue at the moment, appears to be something up with the DynaS, but with ya'lls help we'll get'r back on the roads in NO TIME....ok well it's been 2 weeks already, but soon no doubt!!!!
          Welcome! Very beautiful Cafe Racer; here she is as seen on your tumblr acct:

Of course I'm going to tell you I love the V&H Pipe. I hope you figure out the ignition issue. Looks like a fun ride...enjoy your way around here.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

That is a very nice looking bike despite looking like it would require constant cleaning from that bare front tire. Also notice what looks like an under braced steel swing arm and over swung brake arm. Some more closeups of that would certainly be of interest to many here.

Comment

What an ugly bike. I know a place in London that you can dispose of it at. Let me know and I'll make the call. I won't charge much at all.....welcome....
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

It's a bit different than in that picture...there is a little front fender, and the pods are now a bit different so they don't constantly rust.

As for the MOT...who knows, this is the first vehicle I've owned here in the UK. I think if it's of a certain age, it doesn't have to have the signals?

There is a fun story to it's acquisition. I saw an image of it from who knows where, contacted the builder and asked him if he could build me one...he said sure. Then a few weeks later said that actual bike was for sale and if I wanted it I could get first dibs, JOB DONE.

I live in apartments and have no real shop space so I can't build anything on my own, as much as I want to. I think the price was fair, it was one of his early early builds so I didn't expect perfection or a flawlessly operating 30+ year old bike.

I'm enjoying learning about how these old bikes work, and feel confident I understand how the ignition system is supposed to work at this point. I just ordered a new DynaS and I'll put that on this weekend in hopes it solves my problem.

I didn't take those photos, but here is the link to the rest

He's a stand up guy and held the bike for me while I failed my way through getting my license, and has been helping me diagnose my electrical problems. All his builds are very very nice, clean and tasteful IMO!

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  That is a very nice looking bike despite looking like it would require constant cleaning from that bare front tire. Also notice what looks like an under braced steel swing arm and over swung brake arm. Some more closeups of that would certainly be of interest to many here.
                  I've found the swingarm online, I believe you can purchase it, or could have at one point. The over braced brake arm as well, calliper is a bit high on the disk so it's not getting the most amazing contact possible. I thought maybe a larger diameter disc could be fit at some point. But I'm not trying to with the MOTO GP championship on it...seems to work more than good enough!

Comment

Nice Pics

Originally posted by erics75218 View Post
                    It's a bit different than in that picture...there is a little front fender, and the pods are now a bit different so they don't constantly rust.

As for the MOT...who knows, this is the first vehicle I've owned here in the UK. I think if it's of a certain age, it doesn't have to have the signals?

There is a fun story to it's acquisition. I saw an image of it from who knows where, contacted the builder and asked him if he could build me one...he said sure. Then a few weeks later said that actual bike was for sale and if I wanted it I could get first dibs, JOB DONE.

I live in apartments and have no real shop space so I can't build anything on my own, as much as I want to. I think the price was fair, it was one of his early early builds so I didn't expect perfection or a flawlessly operating 30+ year old bike.

I'm enjoying learning about how these old bikes work, and feel confident I understand how the ignition system is supposed to work at this point. I just ordered a new DynaS and I'll put that on this weekend in hopes it solves my problem.

I didn't take those photos, but here is the link to the rest

He's a stand up guy and held the bike for me while I failed my way through getting my license, and has been helping me diagnose my electrical problems. All his builds are very very nice, clean and tasteful IMO!
                    Thanks for the link...the rest of the pics are sweet! And the background, simply stunning.

Ed
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

He's on the east coast of England, this place is LITTERED with old castsles and run down Roman Walls.

If I can get the bike going, I'll be doing more of my own photos. :-)

Comment

That's a very nice looking motorcycle!

Comment

Working...
                        X