Sticky Float?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticky Float?

So I finally got my 1981 GS 650E running again after it sat idle for about a year. It has a spark and runs well once it gets going with the choke on. The issue is that it leaks a significant amount of gas out of the overflow tube on the left side of the bike. I am wondering if one of the floats is potentially stuck and not shutting off the gas once its filled. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also the bike won't run when the choke is off. Don't know what that means. Possible the carbs are getting to much gas? Help.

First of all, ... when did you install "overflow tubes" on the carbs? Your bike did not have any when it left the factory.

What you are probably calling "overflow tubes" are actually VENT tubes. If gas is getting that high, YOU HAVE SOME SERIOUS PROBLEMS. Do NOT run the engine until you fix the carbs.

If the bike has been sitting for about a year, it obviously needs some attention. Your description of not running off-"choke" also tells me that the carbs need some attention. It is apparently time to do a full strip-and-dip rebuild of your carbs, then you can ride safely.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yep, what Steve said.
      A complete strip and dip with some new orings is what needs to be done. Don't worry you're not alone, we've all had to do this.

Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
      X