coil replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coil replacement

Hello, I have new to this forum as well as GS family of motorcycles.
    I have a 76-77 gs750 I believe unsure of the model. But I have having a terrible time finding a replace coil. the coil reads "3300 12V 6F" any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can run 3ohm coils with a resistor installed.
    Contact sqdancerlynn1 for the method.
    I have lots of 3ohm coils.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Does it still have points ignition? some PO might have upgraded
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It still has points ignition.

Comment

Can you measure the primary ohms of your other coil (the good one) ?- might be 5 ohms. This measurement is done across the coil connectors marked plus and minus. Later electronic ignitions mostly went to 4 ohm coils.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I believe it was reading 4.2 ohms. Just noticed on the "good" coil it has a small crack in it too.

Comment

Was it not firing on the bad coil?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

There are a lot of gremlins with the bike. The PO who is my uncle said only one coil was firing and this was years ago. It has been sitting probably a good 8+ years. I got the bike to learn how to fix up motorcycles. The image is how I got it.

Comment

Looks decent- a good learning experience and worth fixing up. 4 ohm coils are real common, some have spade connections on coil, others have wire leads off coils that plug into wiring harness.
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

That should be what you are looking for. Not sure of the quality but the price is pretty good.

If it's been sitting that long you will have to do the usual. Carb dip, intake manifolds (oring or replacement), valve adjustment, brakes, tires, suspension. You know the 'works'. There is a lot of good people here and a ton of knowledge. I have learned a ton in the last few months and have my gs550 purring like a kitten.
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-05-2014, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X