V-Strom to GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V-Strom to GS850G

Hello all! I recently purchased a 1981 GS850G after having to sell my 2006 V-Strom DL1000. I loved that bike, put a lot of time and $$ into it. When I was on a long trip, to Edinburg, TX (south of San Antonio) and not even half way through the trip needing new tires, then to add insult to injury the battery no longer held a charge in the middle of no mans land. The cost for the stator was tripled along with the receiving time. So I had to make the choice, or rather the Big Hoss (my wife) did, to sell the bike and get me home. 2 days behind schedule, nearly $600 beyond spending limit, I did not have any leverage to argue.

So here I am!!! A new project. My goal? Turn the GS into a mild adventure bike. This should be fun.

Why not both? (See my sig...)

Welcome and best wishes with the project!

Kawasaki green on a Suzuki shaftie is just...
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

The color even distracted you from noticing the painful-looking handlebars.

It looks solid though. Should clean up well.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I like the color. Its a great bike, but in my personal experience, it isn't any good on soft terrain. I made it up this mining track above Boundary , AK a mile or so before the clutch overheated and wouldn't release. The gearing isn't ideal for plonking over terrain.

sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi,

The GS850G is pretty heavy to go tooling around in the dirt and gravel.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
          Help! Your Bike Won't Start
          DON'T DO THESE THINGS
          Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
          Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by (RJ) View Post
            .. My goal? Turn the GS into a mild adventure bike. This should be fun.
            Welcome to GSR.

Maybe then, you are like me.
            Born To Be Mild.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
              I like the color. Its a great bike, but in my personal experience, it isn't any good on soft terrain. I made it up this mining track above Boundary , AK a mile or so before the clutch overheated and wouldn't release. The gearing isn't ideal for plonking over terrain.

Paul, that is a fantastic photo. Can't believe you were riding that road in a pair of shorts!! I bet there's not too many guys on here would think of taking their GS down a road like that, lol.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                Paul, that is a fantastic photo. Can't believe you were riding that road in a pair of shorts!! I bet there's not too many guys on here would think of taking their GS down a road like that, lol.
                That is actually the '83 that I made my brother ride. You can just see the corners of the Samsonite rain covers on the luggage bolted to my metallic brown '81. That was a fun trip.

Comment

Thanks for all the welcomes!

Yes it is a bit heavy but not any heavier than the DL1000 I was riding, and at a lower center of gravity, with a lower, yet reasonable amount of clearance (before luggage). Thanks for the info on the gearing I'll have to keep that in mind during my build/riding. It is a VERY mild adventure bike, not going to be doing any off-roading or rock climbing like I did with the V-Strom. This will be road and the occasional dirt road/maintained trail. I got the bike non-running, the guy said it was running just before I picked it up, but then all it would do is click the starter relay. Somebody destroyed the wiring. Supposedly it was a blinker issue, that lead to a no start issue after they tried fixing the blinkers. What a mess I inherited, but challenges are good for the soul. Last week I started the tear down, ordered a few parts. I'll be starting a build thread this weekend, with accompanying pics for your pleasure.

A couple questions if somebody can answer.
                  1. Do I really need to use the blinker control box during my rewire. Yes I'm completely rewiring it to a much simpler design.

2. On the maintenance schematics there is a single wire coming off the Alternator/Stator that runs to the signal switch that eventually loops around to the rectifier/regulator, can I simply connect this wire directly from the stator to the regulator?

Thanks a bunch and look for my GS850G Adventure build this weekend.

Comment

There are threads here on deleting the self cancelling turn signals. I have no luck with the search feature. If your self cancellors work, I would like to buy the two modules. You can at least get rid of the smaller of the two. As to the redundant stator wires to the left hand grip, you can and should run the stator wires directly to the R/R. You may consider asking these specific questions in the electrical sections. There are real experts on this list. I am not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by (RJ) View Post
                      Thanks for all the welcomes!

Yes it is a bit heavy but not any heavier than the DL1000 I was riding,
                      Yes. it actually is, 100 lbs heavier dry weight than the DL1000, with crap suspension for anything but smooth pavement, poor brakes, and little power. Why not use it as it's designed, as a very competent and comfortable road bike, and find a DR 650 or something to beat around on the trails?

I just hate to see a good GS smashed up. It won't take long.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                      X