No search option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barb View Post
    DON'T MAKE ME COME OVER THERE!! Well, actually, yes I'd love to come over there, the roads in your part of the world look freakin' awesome.

I know how to use a search option Ed, but thanks for the input. The one answer that seemed to fit my bill "That's a PHP error (the coding language the forum is written in is PHP). There's a configuration option that limits the size of php scripts in the server's memory. For security reasons, the default option is pretty small. I imagine this forum has gotten big enough (as in, a lot of posts and topics) that the default setting is too small to allow the search, hence the error is coming up" was great, and explains it well. I will probably be asking my very simple question somewhere without having access to the search option.
    thanks everyone,
    Barbara
    It's a 2 minute fix by the ADMIN of the site or his provider/host and I have posted on how to fix it, but to this day it has not happened, and I doubt it ever will.......

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
      It's a 2 minute fix by the ADMIN of the site or his provider/host and I have posted on how to fix it, but to this day it has not happened, and I doubt it ever will.......
      Maybe we need to move to another forum/host/admin :-P

Comment

Originally posted by srg View Post
        Maybe we need to move to another forum/host/admin :-P
        Perhaps you and the other complainers should find another Suzuki forum, and bash it. Better yet, start one of your own and run it as you see fit. Watch out for the doorknob on your way out.

Frank does a fantastic job running this place, and he does it strictly for the love of the GSR and the members here.

The GSR is one of the best forums that I have found on any subject, anywhere in the world. It is an invaluable resource and 99.99% of the members here are great. We are an online family here.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
          Perhaps you and the other complainers should find another Suzuki forum, and bash it. Better yet, start one of your own and run it as you see fit. Watch out for the doorknob on your way out.

Frank does a fantastic job running this place, and he does it strictly for the love of the GSR and the members here.

The GSR is one of the best forums that I have found on any subject, anywhere in the world. It is an invaluable resource and 99.99% of the members here are great. We are an online family here.
          yes he does a great job, but does not modernize the site or fix the little things that would make it so much easier to navigate, use and find things...

it's old and vulnerable as well, and one day if it get's hacked it's all going to go bye bye....

asking for a simple fix that takes all of 3 minutes is not asking for the world, but it would prevent stupid posts like this one, and would not casue remarks like yours to other members.....

a simple request to allow a better and more search is not asking for the world.....

sheeeesh

Comment

Me and the other complainers? I suppose my hint of humor/sarcasm didn't make it through in text. I would love to run my own forum, I've been running servers, programming, and doing web design for 10+ years. However, since something great (this site) already exists, it would be futile of me to run another one myself.

Comment

I'll have to agree with the newcomers. While the site has excellent content, there are several technical issues that keep the site from being as good as it can be. This is typical of many forums though. At least ones run on smaller budgets with limited staffing and resources.

The reality is, that not everyone is well versed in web development, hosting, site administration, etc. Often times these roles are being performed by people with just enough technical knowledge to squeak by. Nothing to be ashamed of, its hard work and we appreciate every effort. This site is really special.

The robots.txt configuration is probably the most damning issue with this site. Not allowing Google to index the forums is a gigantic mistake. Google would compliment the built in search, lessening the need to hammer away at the database, since Google would have their own index of the site for us query.

Running a forum (or any dynamic website really) is a challenge. The web is not a static target. Things change near daily. Threats are ever present. It takes work. It takes being open to learning new techniques and being willing to listen to trusted advice.

The things being requested here are not technically difficult to implement, and constitute overall improvements. I hope someone out there is listening and open to the helpful suggestions.
              Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2014, 09:16 PM.

Comment

I just searched for "front brake switch" and got:
                Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 524288 bytes) in /home/thegsres/public_html/_forum/search.php on line 1155

I cut it down to "front" ... and it takes 15 seconds, but works.
                "front switch" threw the same error msg.
                "brake" worked. "front brake" does not.
                A search engine that only takes one word at a time.....
                Last edited by exdirtbiker; 07-04-2014, 03:59 PM.
                1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
                1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
                1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
                Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Originally posted by exdirtbiker View Post
                  I just searched for "front brake switch" and got:
                  Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 524288 bytes) in /home/thegsres/public_html/_forum/search.php on line 1155

I cut it down to "front" ... and it takes 15 seconds, but works.
                  "front switch" threw the same error msg.
                  "brake" worked. "front brake" does not.
                  A search engine that only takes one word at a time.....
                  A titles only search on front brake switch displayed 45 threads

here's a link to the first page - http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...archid=4100805
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

click on advanced and do the same search but pick search titles only, and you will get results as well.....

but only if someone put in a good enough title, and didn't say or write, I need help....

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                      The link shows nothing.

It is based on cookies stored on your computer.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                        A titles only search on front brake switch displayed 45 threads

here's a link to the first page - http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...archid=4100805
                        Thanks... "advanced search / titles only" does work nicely.
                        1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
                        1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
                        1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
                        Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

There's a way to make google search a specific site. You type the search terms then site:<url> For some reason this forum is shielded against that which is too bad because if you google questions about these bikes this site doesn't come up. Maybe the admin could change this. It seems like an easier alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by Triam View Post
                            There's a way to make google search a specific site. You type the search terms then site:<url> For some reason this forum is shielded against that which is too bad because if you google questions about these bikes this site doesn't come up. Maybe the admin could change this. It seems like an easier alternative.
                            Good luck in that.....

Comment

I have never had a problem with the search feature here. Perhaps it's just a simple matter of knowing how to use it, instead of rushing to ridicule the administrator...

Comment

Maybe make "search titles only' the DEFAULT.....

Comment

Working...
                                X