stator bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stator bolts

Just wondering I installed a new stator on my Suzuki gs 850.and I forgot to use locktite on the stator bolts ..should I take off the stator and redo the bolts with locktite.. And if yes which one. 242 or 243 oil resistant..can anyone help me out

Feeling lucky?

Comment

I take it from your answer that i redo the stator bolts with 242 locktite..my luck hasn't been very good lately .I can see a lot of damage being done if one of those bolts shake loose..better safe than sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Peter opaski View Post
        I take it from your answer that i redo the stator bolts with 242 locktite..my luck hasn't been very good lately .I can see a lot of damage being done if one of those bolts shake loose..better safe than sorry
        Bolts are known to both come loose and to sheer. I have used the blue locktite and I alway use a Qtip and brake cleaner to clean threads.

Comment

From personal experience, please pull the bolts and put loc-tite on them
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            From personal experience, please pull the bolts and put loc-tite on them
            Ditto.
            One of those few times where precaution is totally worthwhile.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Suzuki used stator insulating varnish to lock the stator screws. Use the better Locktite. When you need to do it again if ever, I have found that sandbags with a towel in between to prevent scratching is the perfect place to hold the stator cover. It molds to the cover, but doesn't give so an impact tool works perfectly to break the screws loose again.
              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

GREAT. Now I can't remember if I used Loctite....Grumble. Guess I know what I am doing this weekend!

Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

I know this won't help, but I did the exact same thing two years ago, and had to pull the cover again for that reason. I swapped in allen head cap screw fasteners at the same time.
                  and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                  __________________________________________________ ______________________
                  2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Working...
                  X