I'm in the twin club….

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in the twin club….

Picked up a nice tight 1980 450E today, with one slight problem. The engine is taken apart, cases split, everything in boxes.

He took it apart to fix a false neutral between 5th and 6th, said he looked at the shift forks which were fine and gave up. I was looking at the gears on the countershaft, (or maybe it was the mainshaft) the sliding gear for 6th wobbles on the shaft, you can pull it to the side about 1/4 inch. It's like the bearing where it runs on the shaft is worn out, you can actually twist it on the shaft. I'm thinking this is enough to make the dogs engage funny. The dogs themselves look fine at first glance.

12,000 miles on it all if that matters.

Might just find a used engine, that wai I can be riding in a few days, or maybe find a used transmission, i'd rather do that from someone here so the parts are more likely to be good.

Other than that, it looks ready to ride. Brakes are fine, bearings seem tight, new tires, it's all good.

Any other ideas? Any transmission experts here?

And, while I'm in there, what's the hot setup, 850 pistons or something?

Thanks for any ideas guys!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Don't use 6th.

Comment

Congrats Tom! 1980 was the best year for the GS450.....

As far as hop up goes....... a GS500 engine will drop right in the frame (but the exhaust won't). And GS500 motors / parts are easy to come by.

Comment

A custom exhaust is required for the 500 engine?

Comment

Yep. The 500 headers come straight out of the front of the motor, which would hit the 450 down tubes. There was a member here that put a complete 500 engine in his 450 and had a custom exhaust made - there are pictures in the Twin thread. Let me see if I can find that.....

Comment

Here ya go:

Place your 2 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.

Comment

Any advantage over just using the 500 pistons and cylinders and the 450 head?

Or is something incompatible?

Comment

Originally posted by A-train View Post
                Don't use 6th.

Can't use 6th or any other gear. They sre sitting in a box on the floor.

Comment

Hmmm..... Mekanix would have more details than myself. But I know the piston domes have different shapes to begin with. The 500 has larger valve diameters, and the cams have more lift for sure (and most likely more duration).

Not saying it can't be done (because it has), but finding a complete motor and welding up some bends would seem easier to me.

Comment

I'm thinking I'll just find a 450 engine and slap it together for now, might do it up better at some other time.

Is there a source for the Suzuki Service Manual for this bike? All I find on Cliff's site is a link to the Clymer's, which I already have a paper copy of (came with the bike)

Comment

Pictures or it didn't happen......
                      Larry D
                      1980 GS450S
                      1981 GS450S
                      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

My beautiful bride was giving me "that look" the other day when I brought home the dead 750. She rode down with me, didn't really say anything, but I know what she was thinking. There's simply not enough space for another motorcycle, and she's right. And yet I keep bringing them home. It's a disease. An addiction. Can't help it sometimes. Got to sell some. Or at least sell some parts, they are getting deep.

Right now the 450 is hiding in plain sight, the bike itself is sitting in the spot where the parted out 750 was yesterday, gas tank, seat etc on the shelf in the garage, the boxes of engine parts stacked neatly by the garage door. I picked it up when she wasn't here, got everything stashed away before she got home, it just seemed cleaner that way.

Then one day when the engine is in, I pull it out to ride it I can say I bought it a long time ago. Bought it for her even.

Maybe I can put up a few partial pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          And, while I'm in there, what's the hot setup, 850 pistons or something?

Thanks for any ideas guys!
                          Just buy an 850.

cg
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g
                          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Why would I want another 850? Been there, done that. Wasn't impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              It's a disease. An addiction. Can't help it sometimes. Got to sell some. Or at least sell some parts, they are getting deep.

Right now the 450 is hiding in plain sight.

I picked it up when she wasn't here, got everything stashed away before she got home, it just seemed cleaner that way.

Then one day when the engine is in, I pull it out to ride it I can say I bought it a long time ago. Bought it for her even.

Aah...the best relationships are built on a solid ground of addiction and deceit

I sense you have a great wife, Tom.
                              '83 GS650G
                              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                              X