No announcement yet.

I'm in the twin club….

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought the Kat by email. Told him what I'd be willing to pay if I was satisfied with the condition. Haggled a bit on line and I drove over. Turned out to be a really nice guy. He came down and did the transfer with me and then drove the bike to my place in the rain as I had my car.....Make him an offer that makes it worth the drive....
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

Common swap is to use a GS500 cylinder block with tensioner, gs500 pistons, Gs450 head. and what ever combination of gaskets work.

The 500 gaskets are thin metal and the 450 are fiber but twice the thickness.
      The 500 pistons are designed a little different but they can fit in the 450 head.
      This stuff is in the wiki in my sig.

There are some upgrades to the transmission in the later years (83 +) That solved gear wear problems.

You could just use a 500 entire gear train.

The main difference between the 450 and 500 base is the shift drum. Its backwards. Meaning 1 up 5 down. But on the gs500 the shifter is facing backwards so it works out to 1 down 5 up. Your just rotating the shaft backwards.

Does that E have the same style shifter or is it backwards ?
      Either way just use your shift drum and it will work.

Here's the thing. Everything you will get from a gs500 engine will be the most upgraded parts you can get to put in there.

There are two manuals on cliff's site. one by haines, the other by clymer.

But get a gs500 manual and you'll see some better information.

Welcome to the club
      Last edited by Mekanix; 05-24-2014, 08:55 PM.
      Stephen.
      1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
      GS twin wiki

Comment

Yes I might or probably will do an upgraded engine over the winter, but just want to get it running for now. I'd much rather just pop a working engine in it than waste riding time in the summer putting the engine together.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
          .....Make him an offer that makes it worth the drive....
          Well I offered him $100 for the motor or $200 for the whole thing, it's a bobber but it's probably got some good forks or brakes or something.

He came back with $200 for the motor or $300 for the whole thing, not too bad if I knew the engine was good but I don't. And it's 100 miles away.

And he's not talking much. The ad doesn't even mention if the engine runs, so he probably doesn't know. Or mybe he does!

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Well I offered him $100 for the motor or $200 for the whole thing, it's a bobber but it's probably got some good forks or brakes or something.

He came back with $200 for the motor or $300 for the whole thing, not too bad if I knew the engine was good but I don't. And it's 100 miles away.

And he's not talking much. The ad doesn't even mention if the engine runs, so he probably doesn't know. Or mybe he does!

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcy/4426733956.html
            What the Hell. You took a shot. Beats driving out there....
            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
            Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
            1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
              What the Hell. You took a shot. Beats driving out there....
              One thing good about this ridiculous bobber craze, there will be more parts bikes!

There will be another….

Soon I hope.

Comment

The $100 that you offered for all of what little is left, was VERY generous. Let the fool trip over the damn thing for a few months and he will be begging you to take it.

Comment

Update, the brake fluid is changed, the old stuff was still clear, the brake works fine. Rear brake, well, no fluid at all. How nice. Might do the single twin pot Kawasaki front brake mod, as I have all the parts for it less the Blackbird disc, but I want to see how well the stock brakes work first. Intake boots are fine, but the O rings are square and petrified. Just dinking around with it, waiting for my still unknown new engine to make itself known.

Who's got an engine for me????

Comment

I don't have any issues with the stock front brake Tom, seems to pull me up just fine, although I did go with an aftermarket master cylinder from Mikes XS.

It has a slightly smaller bore diameter than stock and it feels much better.

Stock was a little wooden, but this one gives me much better feel... comes a bit closer to the 'bar but is definitely better than the stock IMHO.

Can't help on the engine I'm afraid...
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Hey, Congratulations on the 450E! I'm going to be interested in how you like it.Too bad about the gearbox.

Alternatives for tires? I have it written down that the tires on My GSX400E are DURO tubeless 110/90/18 (rear)(I put a tube in) and Shinko Tourmaster 3.00"x18 (front)
                      They seem fine

someone here (GSPOWER?)found Shinko 244(cheap dualsports) that fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                        Hey, Congratulations on the 450E! I'm going to be interested in how you like it.Too bad about the gearbox.

Alternatives for tires? I have it written down that the tires on My GSX400E are DURO tubeless 110/90/18 (rear)(I put a tube in) and Shinko Tourmaster 3.00"x18 (front)
                        They seem fine

someone here (GSPOWER?)found Shinko 244(cheap dualsports) that fit.
                        I have been trying to find a 3.00 x 18 front, haven't found them online. They have a 110/90-18 that would be perfect for the rear…

Where did you buy the Shinko?

Comment

There are also Pirelli City Demons which I think are based on the Sport Demons but for small bikes and they come in 3.00-18 front, 3.50-18 rear.

From the Pirelli site:

Resistant carcass for reliable performance in any load condition.

Specific tread to ensure high mileage and high performance over time.

Front tyre with deep central grooves for better stability in straight stretches, capable of ensuring good performance and high safety also on wet surfaces.

A wide range of sizes and uses for motorcycles with small engines.

Low purchase and maintenance costs and excellent features as regards to mileage, safety in all conditions and reliability over time.
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

We probably don't get that one since we dont get any bikes less than 1000ccs, considered girly bikes, but I'll look for it.

Thanks!

Edit,

Nope, not available in the good old USA home of Harelys and Herdlys and other huge overweight overpowered monstrosities.

Looks like the RoadRiders will have to do.
                            Last edited by tkent02; 05-28-2014, 02:04 AM.

Comment

I have the matching rotor to that Blackbird one you are testing on the 550....

Actually I believe the 450 uses the smaller GS rotor (the 274mm dia one) so you would use the CBR F3 / F4 rotor on that one. Pete & I did some measuring & seems like it would work. Sold a kit to a guy here on GSR on sale or return if he promised to post pictures if it worked... no pictures, no returned parts either though so my guess is that it works...

Last edited by salty_monk; 05-28-2014, 02:05 AM.
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

OK, I'll probably take it, but I would like to ride it at least a litle bit on the stock front brake first, just so I can tell how much of an improvement it is. Still need to find an operable engine, or put the old one back together.

Comment

Working...
                                X