Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E performance

Good day all,

I have finished rebuilding my GS last week. Starts good, runs good. My question is about performance of the bike. It is my 1st GS and my 1st 4 cylinders too. I'm use to big V-Twin torque engine. I feel my GS is sluggish under 4000rpm. 1st gear seems too long. When I go from a dead start, I have to slip the clutch a little to get it going, like if there was not enough torque. Once launched it's good but the acceleration is not brutal. Is this the nature of the beast or I miss something during my winter time rebuilding?

Before you asked ...Carbs full rebuilt, new splugs, full valves adjust, no clutch slipping...

Go to 9,000 RPM and open the throttle wide.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yes over 4000rpm, starts to pull good, even harder over 6000rpm. The complain I'm having is from the dead start. Maybe I just need to get use to it and find the pefect friction spot?

Comment

4,000 - 6,000 is nothing, the real power starts higher. Why even use less that 4,000? While it will run, it certainly isn't designed for it. If you want to ride around under 4,000 and have any torque, get a V twin or a thumper.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by coachmorin View Post
          Yes over 4000rpm, starts to pull good, even harder over 6000rpm. The complain I'm having is from the dead start. Maybe I just need to get use to it and find the pefect friction spot?
          You are just used to a bike that redlines before the GS even starts making power. Fours are built to rev, let it rip and enjoy the top end rush. If it is fast launches you crave then you need to rev it and slide the clutch a bit until it is rolling.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Truth. The GS is much faster than you realize, but you are used to the feel of torque, which is really only the thrust from a stop or low rpm. Rev it out. It'll outrun pretty much any VTwin that doesn't wear fairings.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

The engine you have, running right, is about as torquey as these bikes get. You'll probably have to let the clutch out at a higher RPM than you're used to on the twin, but when you do, you shouldn't have an issue. I think you're bike is rated to run 0-60 in something like 4 seconds. Which doesn't suck.

1st is 'long' because you have 9500 revs to play with

Comment

I feel much better now! I thought at first that I did something wrong while putting the bike back together during winter time! I have to get use to this ''new'' engine! Love that bike! Thanks all!

Comment

My '81 750E is the little brother to your 1100E and I don't find it sluggish at low RPMs at all. I can roll away from a stop sign in pretty much any gear I like. If anything, I wish it were more tame at low RPMs (like my 8-valve 850 is) because sharp turns at urban intersections + potholes + touchy throttle and things have gotten a wee bit dicey at times.

You say you rebuilt your carbs, are they properly synced? Maybe the idle mixure could use some tweaking?
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                    My '81 750E is the little brother to your 1100E and I don't find it sluggish at low RPMs at all. I can roll away from a stop sign in pretty much any gear I like. If anything, I wish it were more tame at low RPMs (like my 8-valve 850 is) because sharp turns at urban intersections + potholes + touchy throttle and things have gotten a wee bit dicey at times.

You say you rebuilt your carbs, are they properly synced? Maybe the idle mixure could use some tweaking?
                    I'd guess these comments are on the right track.

GS liter size bikes certainly pull harder at the top end but they also have a relatively wide power band too - when running as they should.

Inferring from your comments that you suspect the poster's bike may need at least a tune up sounds right to me.

Comment

the carbs have not been sync on a bench at this point. Will do in the upcoming weeks for sure. The plugs needs to be coffee like color I assume for the engine to run in the right mixture?( Will check those later on)

here's my rebuild thread

Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2014, 09:26 PM.

Comment

If you lack torque anywhere on a gs1100, something is amiss.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
                          +1 on that!
                          My Motorcycles:
                          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                          79 1000e (all original)
                          82 850g (all original)
                          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
                            Gotta agree with that.

I let the clutch out in first on my '82 1100e nice and easy at about 2,000 or less rpm and then open her up. Pulls like a (very fast) truck.

Of course, I've never ridden a Harley, so maybe I'm unduly impressed with my GS's low-rpm torque.
                            Last edited by Rob S.; 06-08-2014, 03:30 AM.
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

ride a big inch V twin and the torque will rip your hands off the grips..fun fun

Comment

Working...
                              X