No announcement yet.

GS1100E performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For red light to red light performance I dropped 1 tooth on the countershaft sprocket. And turned it into a totally different animal. 3rd gear wheelies are effortless.
    sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Want TORQUE from an 1100? Try one of my 1400cc street GSs!!!
      Ray.

Comment

-1 tooth on the counter shaft and you can let the clutch out at an idle and not stall it. Weather you like it or not depends on your riding style. Sounds like you would like it geared lower. But I am with some of the others here in saying something is not right if it feels under powered from a V twin unless it was built V twin or a yammie Warrior. Are you sure the cam timing is correct?
        My stable
        84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
        85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
        88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
        98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
        90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
        06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
        00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

My 2 last bikes were thumper. DR650 and DRZ 400. Before that I had 2 Honda shadows 1100, and before...thumpers etc. So this is my background. The GS does pull good but at higher RPM.
          I did 500km today trying different rev etc. This is a really great bike, surprising, good ride, way better than my shadows.
          My thought is the HP/torque curve vs a twin or a thumper is completely different.

Since I have no experience with 4 cylinders, I cannot compare how the GS is suppose to pull. I was asking the question because I have nothing to compare to. I will recheck the timing marks tomorrow and ride probably another 500km.

Next week, I will have the 4 carbs sync. Then the rebuild will be almost over...I guess( there is always something else showing up hahaha)

Comment

Good gods. Honda Shadow 1100s make less torque than a GS1100, even if they make more way low. I thought you might be talking about a VTX or Warrior.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
              Good gods. Honda Shadow 1100s make less torque than a GS1100, even if they make more way low. I thought you might be talking about a VTX or Warrior.
              I will comeback with more updates when the synchro will be done to the carbs etc. I don't want to have this thread to be about if the GS pulls VS any bike. Was just looking for feedback to make sure I did everything right during the rebuild. Maybe everything is fine too. Best thing would be to have someone try my bike that knows how the GS is suppose to ride and pull. Otherwise, hard to tell. Anyway, I'll have the carbs set-up this week. Maybe the paperclip adjustement was not too good for me after the carb teardown and rebuild!

Thanks Guys!

here's the specs of the shadows I owned. ( I did owned also a VT750 1983)

Engine Type: 1099 cc, 4 Stroke - Liquid Cooled - V Twin
              Engine Bore and Stroke: 87.5 mm x 91.4 mm
              Valves 3 valves/cylinder
              Claimed Horsepower: 78.4 bhp @ 6000 rpm
              Maximum Torque: 73ft lbs @4,500rpm

Comment

Yes I understood what you meant from the start , IF you engage the clutch too quickly you can kill the engine on a GS -

Unlike a Sportster/Big Twin that will grunt straight away from 900.RPM

Get the revvs between 2000 ~ 3000 and slip the clutch a little more than your Harley / or VTX or V star

I don't mean sss ss-slip the clutch ... the timing or engagement rate of the clutch lever at the friction point is different - to get a smooth start .
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Did you retain the stock gearing (sorry, didn't read through your rebuild thread). Sounds like someone (possibly the previous owner, if the bike's new to you) may have gone with taller gearing, to drop cruising rpm on the highway. I too have done this, but not drastically, and the difference at take-off is negligible.
                  '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                  Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by coachmorin View Post
                    I will comeback with more updates when the synchro will be done to the carbs etc. I don't want to have this thread to be about if the GS pulls VS any bike. Was just looking for feedback to make sure I did everything right during the rebuild. Maybe everything is fine too. Best thing would be to have someone try my bike that knows how the GS is suppose to ride and pull. Otherwise, hard to tell. Anyway, I'll have the carbs set-up this week. Maybe the paperclip adjustement was not too good for me after the carb teardown and rebuild!

Thanks Guys!

Valves 3 valves/cylinder
                    peak torque at 4500 is barely above idle on a GS.

Opening the throttle wide at 3-4K RPM is almost lugging.

In the twisties, I like to stay at 5-7K RPM which is where it is very linear. I do have 4:2:1, so with 4:1 you need to go even a little higher (6-8 KRPM).

Comment

Yup, the GS1100E's have pretty much a flat torque curve from 3,000-9,500 rpm...

They build very quickly from just off idle.

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                        Yes I understood what you meant from the start , IF you engage the clutch too quickly you can kill the engine on a GS -

Unlike a Sportster/Big Twin that will grunt straight away from 900.RPM

Get the revvs between 2000 ~ 3000 and slip the clutch a little more than your Harley / or VTX or V star

I don't mean sss ss-slip the clutch ... the timing or engagement rate of the clutch lever at the friction point is different - to get a smooth start .
                        Trippivot,

You nailed exactly what I meant. thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
                          Yup, the GS1100E's have pretty much a flat torque curve from 3,000-9,500 rpm...

They build very quickly from just off idle.
                          This is really interesting. I thought the max HP ''claimed'' was 108 though?

Comment

This is really interesting. I thought the max HP ''claimed'' was 108 though?
                            At the crank it was 108ish.
                            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

I let the clutch out in first on my '82 1100e nice and easy at about 2,000 or less rpm and then open her up. Pulls like a (very fast) truck.

Of course, I've never ridden a Harley, so maybe I'm unduly impressed with my GS's low-rpm torque.
                              I paid attention last ride, and the fact is that my clutch is completely released in first gear well below 2,000 rpm. It is literally impossible to lug my bike, at least in first gear. Probably goes for second as well. Your bike might need a tuneup.
                              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Thanks Guys!

Valves 3 valves/cylinder

78 horsepower?

A stock 850 makes that much.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                                X