Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1982 Suzuki gs850glz only 482 Miles! bom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bccap View Post
    Tom's just busting your chops. Read his signature.......
    Aaaahhh, ok I see. What's the big hoo in riding an L? Am I missing something? There seems to be not a lot of L love on these forums....

Comment

The ladies love them. And midgets.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        The ladies love them. And midgets.
        Lol...ok! Well my lady does love them, and I'm 6"4 and it fits me pretty good

Comment

Do the right thing, if you are not going to ride it, pull the engine and carbs and make a planter out of the rest.

Comment

L's make nice planters.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'm afraid I'd ride it ragged Bikes are made to be ridden. Museums can rebuild scrappers.

I don't get the L dislike either, but then I prefer cruisers generally.

Comment

Hi Higgibaby, nice bike. Even though it hasn't even hit its service interval yet, keep in mind that it still is a 30+ year old bike. Even though it was in climate-controlled storage, there are many parts (particularly seals and o-rings) that have aged and either have deteriorated or will soon. You still have to get caught up on all the routine maintenance in order to make this thing run like it should. (And safely, might I add.) That includes replacing rubber carb boots, sealing up the airbox, rebuilding the brakes, new tires, heck I would even rebuild the carbs just to replace all the o-rings in there.

I think your bike is a perfect candidate for BOM. It is pretty, I'll grant you that. But I don't know that an 850L is going to get much attention at a bike show... there are zillions of them out there and they weren't really historically significant. If it were mine, I would swap out the handlebars for something reasonable and just ride it.

Welcome!
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by spchips View Post
                  He's busting you for not riding it.

I agree it is more fun to own a bike you can ride. However it's extremely difficult to keep it in showroom condition and the miles pile up, reducing the value.

You have done it exactly right. Keep one to ride the pee right out of, and another to preserve for the museums once you die.
                  It's not like it's ever going to be a sought after bike, there's not much value in it, ride it or sell it I say

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                    So are you planning to stare at it in the garage and wipe it periodically with a soft cloth diaper or are you going to put some miles on her? I rode that many miles in the last couple weeks without even going anywhere
                    I rode 453 yesterday. Went to the Maine coast for whole belly clams, then over through the White mountains to Vt for a steak dinner , got home about 11;30 last night
                    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Higgibaby View Post
                      I plan to just stare, and other people can stare as well as I'm planning to take it to some classic bike shows. I have another exactly the same (with 7000 miles) in black which is my daily rider...
                      How sad. These things were made to be ridden, not mounted on a mantelpiece.
                      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Lots of people keep bikes for shows and keep the mileage off them. Lets face it his daily rider is the same bike and only has 7000 miles on it. It's not like he's riding a beater.....
                        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                        1983 GS 750

Comment

I suppose so, but someone is missing riding that one. Vehicles were not created to be crated away.
                          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                            Lots of people keep bikes for shows and keep the mileage off them. Lets face it his daily rider is the same bike and only has 7000 miles on it. It's not like he's riding a beater.....
                            And thats the thing, I live in RI (smallest state) so where ever I ride it doesn't put much mileage on! But I have scoured everywhere, for any examples of a GS this good...disregarding if its an "L" or not...there isn't another that i have seen out there like this. I bought the bike with 435 miles on it, so it wasn't me that didn't ride it. (I've technically put 42 miles on it, and i haven't had it too long)

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                              Hi Higgibaby, nice bike. Even though it hasn't even hit its service interval yet, keep in mind that it still is a 30+ year old bike. Even though it was in climate-controlled storage, there are many parts (particularly seals and o-rings) that have aged and either have deteriorated or will soon. You still have to get caught up on all the routine maintenance in order to make this thing run like it should. (And safely, might I add.) That includes replacing rubber carb boots, sealing up the airbox, rebuilding the brakes, new tires, heck I would even rebuild the carbs just to replace all the o-rings in there.

I think your bike is a perfect candidate for BOM. It is pretty, I'll grant you that. But I don't know that an 850L is going to get much attention at a bike show... there are zillions of them out there and they weren't really historically significant. If it were mine, I would swap out the handlebars for something reasonable and just ride it.

Welcome!
                              Thanks Charles, I've been through everything and its all fine right now...I will probably plan a full strip and rebuild over the winter though...And your right there are a ton of "L's" out there, but not in this kinda shape. ( I did swap ,y handlebars on my other L for the G bars...its a little more comfortable.

Comment

482miles... That's the goal for this weekend. Everyone need to ride at least 482miles. You have from Friday to Monday morning. Who's in?
                                My Motorcycles:
                                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                                79 1000e (all original)
                                82 850g (all original)
                                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                                X