No announcement yet.

New Member in Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking I still need to put tyres on it, go through all the brakes, weld up the seat pan and make a seat cover for it, change the fluids...

Should be up and running 'again' sometime this weekend.

I have case savers on the 850 and was just searching Ebay for some clamp-on highway pegs.

Yep, nice 850 for $500 (or less). You'd be like a kid in a candy shop over here. Maybe you should start buying and shipping bikes over to Dubai and Japan.
    Just think, you could be a regular Wes Cooley clone.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
      Don't know how well I'd survive the trip but I'm game.
      Don't worry - I'd come get you

Comment

I have a car and a trailer. Rather ride
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
          Dude, where are you finding these??
          Just on craigslist. I guess I'm lucking out. I have a call into the guy, we'll see where this one goes. I did notice it has a kickstart too, got to love that.

Comment

He called back, seems like a nice enough guy. Trying to be honest, which is a breath of fresh air. He's had it 12 years, he rode it once 12 years ago, didn't like riding and its been parked ever since. There's rust in the tank, which he's tried to clean out with some success, and it will run with starter fluid. Pipes are in good shape according to him, so I'll be heading down to look at it hopefully tonight. Wish me luck.

Comment

That's a hell of a deal, I don't even want an 850G but if that was near me I would go buy it, in a heart beat.

Best of luck on your purchase!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                Dude, where are you finding these?? An 850G for $500 that has no major issues is a bargain. This one is not showroom condition, but I wouldn't call it rough either. It's miles ahead of every other bike I see for that money. Loose the fairing if it's not your thing. If the PO doesn't have the stock headlight and turn signals, you'll have to hit eBay for those.

If I had room in my garage for more than two bikes, that's one I'd pick up myself.

I see a license plate on it, so it must have a title. But verify that the title is clear before you make the trip out there.
                Thats why we have basements, to store more bikes
                1984 GS550ES
                Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
                4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

Comment

if you don't buy it, one of these hoarders will
                  1984 GS550ES
                  Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
                  4700 miles

Comment

I have case savers on the 850 and was just searching Ebay for some clamp-on highway pegs.
                    Hey Doc, I am sure you could adapt the ones on the GK to work on your 850, you need them more than I do, and I sure as hell ain't ever going to use them, ever.

Comment

Well I now own a 1979 Suzuki GS850. I'll have to pick her up and trailer her home this weekend, but the deal is done, hands were shaken, money and paperwork exchanged. It'll need quite a bit of work, brakes, lines, carbs, tires, gas tank cleaning, a whole lot of cleaning, but it should be fun!

Thanks for your help the past few days, and I look forward to talking to you all as things progress. As soon as I get it home I'll post some pictures. Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                        I have a car and a trailer. Rather ride
                        That's what I meant! I'd ride up and head down with..

Been through Marysville about 6 times this year already - scenic route to my cottage in Lexington....

Comment

Aww yeah! Congrats and welcome to the disorder we know as GS.
                          1984 GS550ES
                          Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
                          4700 miles

Comment

Here's the new bike getting home. It was a busy weekend, but I got the top box off and gave the shiney bits a quick clean and its coming out looking pretty good. I'll start a thread in the projects part of the forum if anyone's interested.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Congrats! That a great bike and it will reward you if you keep up on all the maintenance.

Feel free start a project thread. We like pictures.

Now get to work!
                              Charles
                              --
                              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                              X