Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BanditRE's GS850

Hi All,

I joined this forum about a week ago and late last week purchased a 1979 Suzuki GS850GN that had been sitting in a garage for 12 years unattended. No working brakes, cables stuck, the motor did turn over, chrome and paint had light rust pitting throughout, dusty, grungy, neglected and mine..........for $450. The photos really make it look a lot better than it looked in person. I trailered it home on Sunday, gave it a good cleaning to see what was under all that grime and starting taking it apart. Here's a few pictures....

The shiney bits cleaned up a lot better than I had feared

Looks like I'll need headlight if I don't use the Windjammer again

Max is really helping me out

Fair amount of work to do to get it running again and stopping again but the cosmetics weren't as bad as they looked at the PO's house.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2014, 08:08 AM. Reason: Photo link changed

We've seen far, far worse clean up just fine. That's going to be a nice bike.

Any idea what that throttle came from?
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I hope it turns out nice. You lost me on the throttle....that's not stock?

Comment

I could barely see it, I don't know what he is asking about, either.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Your throttle cables and grips appear stock to me.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Ya, you'll need a few parts if you're going to replace the Windjammer. Headlight bucket and side mounting brackets to start along with the cosmetic cover that goes over the lower triple clamps to name a few. Too bad it didn't come with the side covers. Those can get a little pricey in good shape. Everything else should clean up pretty easily.

Looks like a good deal for $450.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thanks guys. I think as I have the VM carbs with two throttle cables, maybe that threw him off? Don't the CV carb models have just one cable?

The side covers I have JT. I just took them off, cleaned them and hid them in the basement. They're in great shape as well with all the tabs in place. Honestly, the cosmetics are pretty darn good after I cleaned all the grime off. The parts needed to put back the headlight may have to wait. I did a quick search to figure out approximate costs and hassle in obtaining parts, and I have other things that are more important to me, so the Windjammer will likely go back on for some time at least. First I have to see if it will run and if it makes any bad noises.........

Comment

Nice bike! How many miles on it?

Comment

Thanks. Mileage is at 36,000

Comment

Originally posted by BanditRE View Post
                    Thanks guys. I think as I have the VM carbs with two throttle cables, maybe that threw him off? Don't the CV carb models have just one cable?

The CV's use one cable and VM's use two.
                    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Nice buy. I picked up my 82 GS850 for the same price. I'm along for the ride as you make it your own.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                        The CV's use one cable and VM's use two.
                        Ah, that's what got me. Didn't know that.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Cleaned up nice!
                          Charles
                          --
                          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

A bit more progress. Got the air box off and cleaned it all up. I wish I had more time to do this stuff but work really gets in the way.......

Air box in place

Covers off, bolts removed, filter removed and something doesn't look quite right.

A rather singed looking filter. No sign of foam filter but some crusty looking burnt pieces. FIRE IN THE HOLE!!

A little less burnt on this side

Dirty, grimey, slimey and sooty

Now I've never owned a GS before and I've never seen inlet hoses for this particular airbox before but I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to look like this.....

All taken apart, soaked in Simple Green, drowned in carb cleaner, and rinsed with soap and water. Ready for some new hoses and I'm thinking a new filter as well while I'm at it. What would we do without previous owners? Next up - carb removal and cleaning.
                            Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2014, 06:24 AM.

Comment

what happened to your pictures?

Comment

Working...
                              X