• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, it will never stop now.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Got the parts from Dimecity but the box says 2,240 ratio yet the sticker behind the speedometer itself reads 2:1. Is that even right or should I be contacting them for a new one or refund? Also is there a harness of sorts just for the speedometer cluster area or am i just cutting wires and matching up?

Comment

I have no experience fitting an aftermarket speedo, but I would test it before assuming anything.

Put the bike on the centerstand, connect the speedo cable to the new unit.
        Spin the wheel about as fast as you can, you should see the needle move.
        Might not get a "fast" reading, but it should move.

If you don't see any movement, try spinning the wheel a bit faster. If that doesn't work, it might be the wrong ratio.

If the speedo shows much over 5 mph, it's probably also the wrong ratio.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Also sounds liek something is rattling inside. Emailed Dimecity and they said send it back to "Returns" with explanation and wills end out another one. Also sending invoice and email that says will swap another one. he said the 2:1 is the 2,240 ratio. Also going to do tracking so they can't say never got it to cover myself just in case I need to dispute with my bank card. Def CYA with them. lol.

Comment

I use GPS Speedo on my phone, and it works even without gps, I think it uses the accelerometer.

Comment

It is the proper ratio. I installed minis with white dials just recently, they're quite nicely illuminated in blue. Let me know if you need a diagram for electrical hook up.
              1980 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by radek22 View Post
                It is the proper ratio. I installed minis with white dials just recently, they're quite nicely illuminated in blue. Let me know if you need a diagram for electrical hook up.
                I haven't had a lot of time (became a Firefighter) so haven't hooked it up yet. If you have a diagram and can pass it along that would be helpful. Been working on engine, we snapped a few exhaust studs so they need to be drilled and re-tapped, oh the fun.

Comment

It's appeared in the forum a while ago, unfortunately I cannot find the original now - so cannot give a full credit to the author..
                  wiring.jpg
                  1980 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                  X