Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the symtoms?

Hi,

I am new to the forums and just received my first bike from a friend. Unfortunately it is not a GS.. love that bike.

My question is for my buddy.. He is working on a 1980 GS1000
    Cooley clone.

He wants to know the symptoms of torn or leaky diaphrams.. The bike had not run in 10 years and he rebuilt the carbs but the engines sputters on acceleration.

He knows his stuff as he has been building bikes for 40 years but this has him stumped..

Thanks in advance for your help.

He could just take tops off the CV carbs and remove diaphragms and inspect for tears/pinholes. But first, does he have stock air box stuff on ? Or pods?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

He says they are the stock air boxes that have been opened up a bit to let it breath better.

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      He could just take tops off the CV carbs and remove diaphragms and inspect for tears/pinholes. But first, does he have stock air box stuff on ? Or pods?

Comment

Originally posted by Powhatan View Post
        He says they are the stock air boxes that have been opened up a bit to let it breath better.
        It doesn't want to "breath better" -it was happy when it left factory! His symptoms are typical for this "improvement" .
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It doesn't want to "breath better" -it was happy when it left factory! His symptoms are typical for this "improvement" .
          Thanks Tom.. I will pass this info along.

Comment

Thanks again Tom... my buddy said that the bike did not have the top plate on the air box so he made one and tested. That took care of 80% of the problems..

This gives him a baseline to tune the carbs properly now.

I really appreciate your help.

Comment

Working...
            X