How do I remove oem airbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I remove oem airbox?

I'm trying to remove the airbox on my 83 gs450tx so i can clean it and fix the new battery (which is slightly larger than it could be) in place.

Originally posted by M.Hayes.GS450TX View Post
    I'm trying to remove the airbox on my 83 gs450tx so i can clean it and fix the new battery (which is slightly larger than it could be) in place.

I don't own that bike but I looked at the parts fiche and, according to it, the bolt towards the bottom of your top picture is a mounting bolt. However, to me it also looks like those two bolts at the bottom where the grounding wires are might be mounting bolts too.

Course, that is just what I can see in the pictures; you know better than me.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

On the smaller GS models, the key is to get the inner fender out of the way.

Usually the plastic rear inner fender is held in by a few fasteners and a combination of tabs. You'll have to bend and squeeze the inner fender to release it so that it can move back a few inches.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I have also heard that on the 450, you have to remove the engine if you want to remove the airbox and still be able to use it again.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

On wife's had to take out battery box, cam chain tensinor, rear inner fender, and side plate for r/r. Push back as far as can, then you have to turn on side and if remember right take out left side between frame and engine. Was a huge pain, but with patience it's doable. terrylee

Comment

On my '82 1100e, it was supposedly do-able by removing a frame cross member.

I've heard about cases where it's necessary to remove the engine. Seems a bit extreme just to see the top of your battery.

I was planning on installing pods, but I still wanted to remove the stock air box intact. I couldn't do it. Well, I'd always wanted to own a Dremel.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              On my '82 1100e, it was supposedly do-able by removing a frame cross member.

I've heard about cases where it's necessary to remove the engine. Seems a bit extreme just to see the top of your battery.

I was planning on installing pods, but I still wanted to remove the stock air box intact. I couldn't do it. Well, I'd always wanted to own a Dremel.
              hahaha! I would love a to have a dremel too.....

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I have also heard that on the 450, you have to remove the engine if you want to remove the airbox and still be able to use it again.

Yes.. That is indeed the case.. engine out ..

Comment

Now what about un-installing that cat from the rear of your bike?

Don't use a Dremel; try to remove it intact.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I've got one out of our 450 several times without cutting anything or removing engine! terrylee

Comment

Originally posted by terrylee View Post
                      I've got one out of our 450 several times without cutting anything or removing engine! terrylee
                      seems like I did also but it wasn't 'easy' just involved inner rear fender and battery box/wiring /??

Comment

I have a GS450E 1981 and it was a bitch to get the airbox out! Just saying.
                        So you have to remove:
                        1 - All bolts that hold the airbox to the frame & remove/completely loosen carb/airbox clamps
                        2 - Remove carbs
                        3 - remove drain hose from bottom of airbox & top lid portion of airbox(via removal of two slide brackets)
                        4 - both metal triangle side panels completely(L w electrical and the right ground panel)
                        5 - remove battery with battery holder bracket/box

As far as I could tell the only way to actually get the box out of the frame, with lots of back and forth, rotating and jostling is through the LEFT SIDE TRIANGLE space in the frame. It won't fit through the right side or the top but I was able to squeeze it out through the left side of the bike triangle panel space.
                        If you don't HAVE to remove it then DONT, do whatever maintenance/ cleaning with it installed in the bike if you can.
                        Good Luck !

Comment

Working...
                        X