Proud owner of 79 550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proud owner of 79 550

Sup guys, the name is Steve, I'm from north east GA been holding onto bars since 1979 with a Kawi kx 80 at 9yrs old. did the motocross thang for most of my riding, went through many dirt bikes over the yrs, hit 30 and the dirt samples started hurting longer so went to the street too get my handle bar fix. all v-twins, '99 sportster 1200 first then '01 Honda VTX, but now my other ride is a '02 Yamaha Warrior. I just acquired a long wanted 70's in line 4 550e is the best I could do, wanted a 1000 but finding that close, cheap and running was not happening, but to me it's all about the look. anything from 73 to 79 is just cool in my book. shes a survivor single owner, shows age but all the mechanical has been well kept up. all bearings and soft parts (rubber hoses, etc) were replaced in the last 10 years so she's sound. gonna ride the crap out of it this summer and blow it apart this winter and shine her up good. had it a week and between cleaning and running through all great info on here I'm sleep deprived with the two wheel madness. looks like a great place for info will be picking some brains on here for sure. now for the pics cause it didn't happen without pics
    Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2014, 09:26 PM.

one of the Warrior

Comment

Welcome to the forums.
      Great looking bikes!
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

The 550 is a good bike. I have a 1980 550. For a 550 they are pretty fast bikes and are a ton of fun! There is a lot of good information here so if you have any questions just ask!

Comment

Originally posted by jbthomp View Post
          The 550 is a good bike. I have a 1980 550. For a 550 they are pretty fast bikes and are a ton of fun! There is a lot of good information here so if you have any questions just ask!
          Ton of fun, Agreed love the old ads calling it a Canyon Cat. really torn between modding the crap out of it or just keep it mostly stock. gonna be fun no matter what. first question, what's stock gearing on 550? sounds like a lot of RPM to the old V-twin ears. it says 4000 to 4500 at 55mph. the tach bounces around some so not sure if it's right. it has 15/45 on a 120/90 tire.

Comment

Working...
          X