Carb leaking gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb leaking gas

Last year I took my carbs off to clean and took off the float bowl off two of them and now that they're back in, when i turn the bike on it starts leaking gas from either one or two (I can't see where the leak is coming from).

Could it be the float bowl gasket that's making it leak? When I shut the bike off, the leak stops.

Could be the gasket but after a lay-up it could just be that the float or needle valve is slightly stuck ?

Had that with a Yamaha XS750 last month.
    Just gently tapped carb. float chamber with wooden handle of a hammer whilst leaking and, as if by magic, the flooding stopped virtually instantly.

Now got similar problem with a VF750 Honda - BUT because carbs are downdraught the leaking petrol goes straight into the engine and two nasty things can happen.
    Hydraulic lock.
    Leakage past rings and down into crankcase.

Comment

Yep a couple good whacks with a dead blow hammer will do it most times.

Comment

agreed with above. although if you did do a true cleaning of the carbs you could of possible mixed up floats... maybe check the float heights? just saying. but im with stuck or needle valve.

Just an FYI add your bike to your signature for further help so we know what you are working with

And lastly welcome to GSR. Be sure to check out Basscliffs web site @ http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
        Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2014, 11:34 PM.

Comment

If it's on the centre stand it won't be the gasket because the fuel level should never reach it. As said before, stuck float needle, wrong float height or worn needle. I have had carbs start leaking after cleaning. The solution in that case was new needles. It happens the only thing keeping the float needle sealed was the filth.

Comment

Originally posted by GS650GTGS850G View Post
            Could be the gasket but after a lay-up it could just be that the float or needle valve is slightly stuck ?

Had that with a Yamaha XS750 last month.
            Just gently tapped carb. float chamber with wooden handle of a hammer whilst leaking and, as if by magic, the flooding stopped virtually instantly.

Now got similar problem with a VF750 Honda - BUT because carbs are downdraught the leaking petrol goes straight into the engine and two nasty things can happen.
            Hydraulic lock.
            Leakage past rings and down into crankcase.
            Thanks. I'll try it. Hopefully there hasn't been any leakage into the crankcase..!

Comment

Working...
            X