No announcement yet.

Progress!!! 1978 GS1000E Restoration/Performance Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks again for all of the replies - random question: does anybody know if the stock needles in the RS carbs are viton tipped?
    Cogito ergo sum - "I think, therefore I am"
    René Descartes

Comment

An amazing restoration. Congratulations on your hard work, attention to detail and beautiful bike!

Cheers!
      K

Comment

According to this chart from Jetsrus they are metal tipped not viton.

About half-way down the page.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Such a beautiful restoration, Congrads!
          1982 Suzuki GS750E
          1979 Suzuki GS750E
          1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C2
          1977 HD CR1000
          1977 Kawasaki KZ400
          1974 Honda CB750

Comment

It was such a pleasure to sit back and watch this restoration. Not only did you document it, but with detail and excellent photos too. Much appreciated. Now go have some fun on that thing!

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
              Thanks Steve - the plan for this weekend is to pull the carbs, check all the float heights, check the needles/seats for gunk, and re-enable the accelerator pumps.

I'm debating replacing the needles with viton-tipped ones, as I have access to an entire assortment of them in different sizes/lengths.
              René Descartes

Comment

Well, I think I just made my first minor mis-step - I have my pilot fuel screws set at 2 turns out. According to the documentation on the RS series from Mikuni, the adjustment range is from 1/4 to 1/2 turn, no more.

See page 2 or 5

Without thinking, I have been looking at the HS40 tuning manual from Mikuni, which outlines general tuning procedures for their carburetors. The adjustment range for the HS40 is 1/4 to 3 1/2 turns. Stupid me...

When I pull the carbs this week, I will reset the screws to 1/2 turn and see how she idles. If she still runs lean I may have to up the size of the pilot jet from a 17.5 to a 20

Derp...
                René Descartes

Comment

Update, 5/27

Installed a #20 pilot jet and set the pilot fuel screw to 1/4 turn. Checked all of the float heights and set them to a hair under 18mm (spec is 17mm +-1mm) Enabled the accelerator pumps and have them coming on at just over 1/4 throttle and ending at 3/4 throttle. Replaced all of the bowl vent lines and fuel tank drip line to Tygon. Added a pair of Motion Pro quick disconnects to the fuel lines for ease of removing the tank. While I was setting the float heights, I cleaned the needles and seats really well - I'm happy to report that I no longer have any weeping through my bowl vent hoses.

Took the bike out for a 10mi ride today and all I can say is WHOA!!!! Had her up to around 55 going through some industrial parks and around town. 1st and 2nd gear roar, and my butt can barely stay planted in the seat when I nail the throttle. The sneezing through the carbs that I described in my earlier post is 90% gone, and the #20 pilot jet helped immensely - I am going to open the pilot fuel screws an 1/8 turn and see what happens, hoping to eliminate the sneezing completely. After I test this, I tweak the accelerator pumps a but and have them come on a tad sooner and see what effect it has on the throttle response. I have a sneaky feeling I may need to raise the needles by one slot, but I am going to leave this for last, as I am more concerned with the pilot system and performing a vacuum sync first. Can't wait to take her for another spin tomorrow!

René Descartes

Comment

Great news, I bet that ride felt pretty damn good.
                    Rob
                    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Is that your breather return K&N sitting above the carb filters?
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Dyno carb tune? I'd break in the engine first but verification of the mixture would be good.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                          Is that your breather return K&N sitting above the carb filters?
                          That's my crankcase breather - made a small bracket to mount a filter and ran a hose to the valve cover. Have pics buried somewhere in this thread :-)
                          René Descartes

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            Dyno carb tune? I'd break in the engine first but verification of the mixture would be good.
                            I need to research a shop with a dyno out by me (Aurora, IL) - that would be the best way to tune this beast. If the exhaust had a bung in it for an O2 sensor, I'd contemplate using a wideband monitor to tune it...
                            René Descartes

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                              Great news, I bet that ride felt pretty damn good.
                              It did - every time I go out I push the bike a bit harder, then stop, then check for leaks/loose bolts/problems, and then continue again. Next ride will be out on the highway so I can open the throttle a bit more
                              René Descartes

Comment

Originally posted by philosopheriam View Post
                                I need to research a shop with a dyno out by me (Aurora, IL)...
                                Let me check with the guys from the cruise nights....I'll get back to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X