GS750 exhaust on GS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 exhaust on GS1100

I recently acquired a 1980 GS1100E. The exhaust is excessively loud. I mean like, mind-melting loud. It has a 4-into-1 header with a short can on it, that I'm pretty sure is just open.

I have a decent (perhaps even 'nice') exhaust hanging up in my workshop from a 1981 GS750L. It LOOKS like I can swap that exhaust in on the GS1100. Things may not line up exactly, but I think (think) I can make it work. Maybe.

If that doesn't work, I have a rather ugly (but solid) exhaust set from an 82GS750E. Would rather not use that one, but will if it is my only option.

Of course, I could just try it. ...but if someone KNOWS that this won't work, you could save me the trouble of figuring it out myself. There are several things that I need to do to this bike. If I know it's not gonna work, then it'll save me the time and I'll skip over it and onto the next task.
    ∙ ∙ ∙ Tom Witt
    13.Tri.Tiger.800 13.Suz.Wee-Strom 09.Kaw.KLX250 00.MZ.Skorpion 98.MZ.Baghira 86.Honda.CH250
    PARTING OUT: Suzuki 77-82.GS750 81.GS550T 85.GS550L 81.GS650GL 82.GS650E 80.82.GS850G

Can't help on the 750 exhaust, but that can looks like it is a Supertrapp. If the end cap and baffles are missing you should be able to replace them pretty easily and not have to dick around swapping exhaust systems around.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by witttom View Post
      I recently acquired a 1980 GS1100E. The exhaust is excessively loud. I mean like, mind-melting loud. It has a 4-into-1 header with a short can on it, that I'm pretty sure is just open.

I have a decent (perhaps even 'nice') exhaust hanging up in my workshop from a 1981 GS750L. It LOOKS like I can swap that exhaust in on the GS1100. Things may not line up exactly, but I think (think) I can make it work. Maybe.

If that doesn't work, I have a rather ugly (but solid) exhaust set from an 82GS750E. Would rather not use that one, but will if it is my only option.

Of course, I could just try it. ...but if someone KNOWS that this won't work, you could save me the trouble of figuring it out myself. There are several things that I need to do to this bike. If I know it's not gonna work, then it'll save me the time and I'll skip over it and onto the next task.
      I swapped a like new condition stock exhaust from my 1981 GS 750L onto my 1983 GS 1100E. It fit perfectly at the exhaust ports. At the rear hanger, I remember having to elongate the mounting bolt hole in the muffler flange about 1/4" rearwards to get it to line up with the frame hole. You should not have any problem.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Some time ago, I had a 1000G exhaust that I wanted to put on my 850G. At the same time, Dogma had an 850 system that he was going to try to install on his 1000. He found that the bolt spacing was a bit different, meaning that you would have to slot the holes in the retainer collars. We were able to simply exhange systems, he put the 1000 system on his 1000, I put the 850 system on my 850.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that the same thing would be true for your 750 and 1100. It is also possible that the 1100 might have slightly larger pipes, the 750 pipes might choke it down a bit.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I would put pods on it.

From the pic, your neighbors don't look too close.

Noise is nice (except when trying to hide from the police).
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
            Can't help on the 750 exhaust, but that can looks like it is a Supertrapp. If the end cap and baffles are missing you should be able to replace them pretty easily and not have to dick around swapping exhaust systems around.
            Looks like a Supertrapp, shaped like a Supertrapp, but doesn't say Supertrapp anywhere and I'm not sure if it is. Stuck the handle of my mallet down into it. I believe it is complete hollow. The 4-into-1 seems nice enough, but the can [whatever it might be] seems pretty ratty and cobbled together. It works [well, by 'works', I mean it makes it an exhaust system] but it is essentually just an open exhaust.
            ∙ ∙ ∙ Tom Witt
            13.Tri.Tiger.800 13.Suz.Wee-Strom 09.Kaw.KLX250 00.MZ.Skorpion 98.MZ.Baghira 86.Honda.CH250
            PARTING OUT: Suzuki 77-82.GS750 81.GS550T 85.GS550L 81.GS650GL 82.GS650E 80.82.GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
              I swapped a like new condition stock exhaust from my 1981 GS 750L onto my 1983 GS 1100E. It fit perfectly at the exhaust ports. At the rear hanger, I remember having to elongate the mounting bolt hole in the muffler flange about 1/4" rearwards to get it to line up with the frame hole. You should not have any problem.
              That's pretty much what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!
              ∙ ∙ ∙ Tom Witt

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                I'm thinking that it will be close enough, that any problems that I might have, will be minor and manageable [hopefully].

I'm really not that concerned with the reduction/restriction in power. I put a new clutch in this bike this morning, then took it for a spin. It's a rocketship. I mean, Hoe Lee Chit! Everyone always thinks they need more power, but in this rare occurrence, I don't think I do. I enough enough to spare. Haha! I'm just trying to make it a bit more rideable, for more than 9-seconds at a time. With the open exhaust, it runs incredibly well at 4k+RPM, but it stumbles around at the lower RPMs. The 750L exhaust I think would make it look a little more presentable too.
                Last edited by witttom; 07-15-2014, 02:51 PM.
                ∙ ∙ ∙ Tom Witt

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                  I would put pods on it.

From the pic, your neighbors don't look too close.

Noise is nice (except when trying to hide from the police).
                  I actually live in a rural subdivision and my neighbors are fairly close, but I live in a cul-de-sac with somewhat of an unusual property layout that gives me a back yard of approx 3 acres. My neighbors never complain about my motorcycles, partly because most of my neighbors are motorcycle people too, and I tend to be pretty respectful about it. This might change things though! Haha!
                  ∙ ∙ ∙ Tom Witt

Comment

Originally posted by witttom View Post
                    I'm thinking that it will be close enough, that any problems that I might have, will be minor and manageable [hopefully].

I'm really not that concerned with the reduction/restriction in power. I put a new clutch in this bike this morning, then took it for a spin. It's a rocketship. I mean, Hoe Lee Chit! Everyone always thinks they need more power, but in this rare occurrence, I don't think I do. I enough enough to spare. Haha! I'm just trying to make it a bit more rideable, for more than 9-seconds at a time. With the open exhaust, it runs incredibly well at 4k+RPM, but it stumbles around at the lower RPMs. The 750L exhaust I think would make it look a little more presentable too.

The 750 pipes as I remember are about 1mm smaller in outside diameter than the 1100 pipes. It made no difference that I could tell in performance.
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                    X