Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best aftermarket stator for GS450?

Hi,
    I've recently noticed that my 1988 Suzuki GS450 is running on a weak stator and I'm looking forward for a replacement. After doing some online research in this regard I've narrowed my list of options down to Arrowhead's stators. However, there are two similar models from which I have to pick one.
    1. ASU4000
    2. ASU4001

What is the difference between these above models? Also, I saw that ASU4002 looks similar but it is not mentioned against my vehicle model. What is the difference that it is only mentioned for GS1000 and above? What do you guys suggest? Also, if I can get a technical resource regarding the technical specs and ratings for these stators, can someone please help out in this regard? I've searched the net looking for this info for too long now but in vain.

Thanks!

You sure it's a stator problem? You've done the quick test,etc. to determine this?

The stock suzuki part seems to be 31401-45030 for stator. Looks like lots but some have different/longer connectors,so they get different part numbers. I suspect some of bigger bikes have fatter stators to get a more output,but I'm not sure.

You've noticed all the stuff about series R/R's ?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Try to email the mfg. to find out what they recommend for your model. I think there are really only a few different stators used on the GS bikes, looks like up to 850 may use the same unit and the 1000/1100 a bit larger diameter. Later models do seem to be thicker cross section. Like Tom says the change in lead lengths may be part of the reason for multiple p/ns for stators. You may want to look at Ric's also. Ray
      "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
      GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
      1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
      1979 GS1000SN The new hope
      1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

I need to eventually change mine in my 750 too. I hear good things about Ricks and there's the much touted Electrosport as well. Tagging along to see what you end up with and what you get/think for how much you spend.
        Last edited by mikerophone; 07-22-2014, 11:17 AM. Reason: Clarity / autocorrect !
        ----------------------------------------------------------------
        2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

I think Electrosport quality fell off, at least I seem to remember having heard that. I bought a Rick's the last time I needed one. Got rid of the stock Suzuki R/R and went with one from an '05 Honda CBR1000RR. Much more robust than the Suzuki piece. That was before the series regulators were available. Still no problems with mine after quite a few miles and years.

Comment

What exactly do you mean by being "more robust"? What I've noticed is that the end voltage available at the battery terminals seems to be fine (around 14.5 volts when running idle) but there is not enough current coming out from my charging system (less than 2 amps) which is too low to keep the battery charged when one has to make long night time journeys with all lights on. Ideally I would want somewhere between 3 and 4 Amps. Currently i'm on the stock R/R and stator. R/R seems to be fine as all diodes are alive and well. The only culprit that remains this way is the stator. Or may be i'm wrong? All connections are also tight and secure.

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
            I think Electrosport quality fell off, at least I seem to remember having heard that. I bought a Rick's the last time I needed one. Got rid of the stock Suzuki R/R and went with one from an '05 Honda CBR1000RR. Much more robust than the Suzuki piece. That was before the series regulators were available. Still no problems with mine after quite a few miles and years.

Comment

Yes Tom, I've done my homework. What I require is more current out of the charging system. All the multimeter tests have been passed so the only thing that remains now is the stator. I've swapped and checked with many R/Rs from different models and there was minimal change in the final current output so my guess is that the stator has gone weak. I also tend to believe so because the resistance between all three terminals of stator should be on the higher side between 0.2 and 2 ohms. On new ones I've seen 1.4 - 1.5 whereas in my case it is only 0.8 ohms each.

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              You sure it's a stator problem? You've done the quick test,etc. to determine this?

The stock suzuki part seems to be 31401-45030 for stator. Looks like lots but some have different/longer connectors,so they get different part numbers. I suspect some of bigger bikes have fatter stators to get a more output,but I'm not sure.

You've noticed all the stuff about series R/R's ?
              Last edited by Guest; 07-23-2014, 05:51 AM.

Comment

I've read here that a stator from a modern GS500 will bolt right in.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Homework done! Sure sounds like you got weak stator output . Last year before I switched over to series R/R, I did some testing. By about 4000 rpm, the stator was pumping out more juice ( about 40% more) than bike needed to run with headlight, so the shunt R/R was dumping this excess to ground as it was supposed to do. This was same size stator as your 450, so your bike should have plenty of power available.
                  All the stators that I've checked measure about .9 ohms lead to lead-?this includes bigger honda stators from early 80's.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I went with Electrosport for my 450. The first one they sent me had a fault to ground issue right out of the box, I had a big ride coming up though so I was able to make it work for the time being. As soon as I returned I called them up and they were happy to replace the unit with a good one. Perhaps their quality has dropped off considering the first one sent was faulty but the one I have now seems to be running A-OK!

(I've also got the Polaris SH775, or whatever, R/R on there)

Comment

Originally posted by safwan.khan View Post
                      What exactly do you mean by being "more robust"?
                      Larger with more heatsink area. The problem with the stock Suzuki unit is when they go bad they tend to overcharge. On a long ride they can boil a battery dry then things start shorting out.

Comment

GS1000 stator in GS450?

I was just wondering if I can fit in a GS1000 stator into my GS450? Is there a size difference (physically) between both the stators or are they identical and only different in terms of their power rating? I'm asking this because I have to order these parts from ebay and I must be sure about the size and dimensions of these parts which I can't find anywhere online. Perhaps some experts with hands on experience with these bikes here can help me out on this.
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-23-2014, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Right, however currently my problem is undercharging due to less current output.

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                          Larger with more heatsink area. The problem with the stock Suzuki unit is when they go bad they tend to overcharge. On a long ride they can boil a battery dry then things start shorting out.

Comment

My understanding is that if you aren't getting enough current then the voltage will start dropping.
                            Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
                            2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline_Racing View Post
                              My understanding is that if you aren't getting enough current then the voltage will start dropping.
                              yep, the R/R can't do much if stator ain't delivering.
                              1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                              X