No announcement yet.

Best aftermarket stator for GS450?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

safewankhan,Be wary of stators not meant for your bike. They may not match the magnets(the "poles") in yours among other reasons....
    The stock stator should be ok for more than the 3-4 amps you say you need,if you keep the RPM up. .. but the stock stator can supply this easily. The stator output depends upon rpm and this will be true of other stators you can replace it with.

I would attach a voltmeter to the battery and turn all that stuff on with a running bike and see what happens. I would not worry if it's a bit below 14 volts at idle RPM. The battery can cushion demand for a little while, as long as it comes back when you speed up. If it doesn't, you should have another look at connections, battery condition and then your stator's ac output per the tests here.

Comment

Originally posted by safwan.khan View Post
      I was just wondering if I can fit in a GS1000 stator into my GS450? Is there a size difference (physically) between both the stators or are they identical and only different in terms of their power rating? I'm asking this because I have to order these parts from ebay and I must be sure about the size and dimensions of these parts which I can't find anywhere online. Perhaps some experts with hands on experience with these bikes here can help me out on this.
      Do cross checking with part/type numbers of a couple of aftermarket stator makers - like Electrosport lists the ESG014 for the GS450, and that's a stator they list for many GS models. http://www.electrosport.com/street-b...tml?pt=stators
      You'll find the GS500 one is the newest one on ebay if you're buying used. These are also available from aliexpress for quite cheap, but unknown quality.
      They list a different one for the GS1000, the ESG021 - I suspect that's the larger core type with overall larger dimensions, shared with the 1100s.
      Yes, it is. http://www.electrosport.com/street-b...tml?pt=stators

I know for a fact the smaller GS stators are largely interchangeable - for example, I fitted a GS550 stator to mine, just had to lengthen the wires , but not really that big a deal. On another, the seller cut the wires very short, and I had to re-use my old wiring, crimped this time.
      There is a difference in core thickness between some of them, ie, they'll fit fine but there's simply less iron and copper there, so power won't be as much. If I recall correctly, 19mm and 14mm are the two thicknesses - they are identical in edge thickness, just core thickness differs, so they'll physically swap over, no problem.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The GS1000 stator is bigger, so no go.

As noted above, the GS500 stator works fine on many other models (the connector is different, but that's a piffling detail -- you replace the connectors anyway) and you can find GS500 stators from recent models cheep on eBay or wherever. My GS850 is wearing a stator from a 2001 GS500 I bought on eBay for $20. OEM quality, and 30 years newer than the original.

However, there's not a foolproof way to make sure it's good before buying (you take a small chance, as with any used part), so you might want to buy a new or re-wound stator.

From what I can find, the GS500 was available in the US until 2009. No idea what you can find in your corner of the world.
        Last edited by bwringer; 07-25-2014, 06:32 PM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks guys for your valuable input. I really appreciate you all for that!
          I turned out lucky this time as I found an original GS450 stator from a local mechanic's junkyard. Brand new out of old stock. I got it for around $45. Replaced it with the bad stator and it worked like a charm! Now the current output is much higher as compared to when the bike was running on the weak stator and also the stator AC output is a bit higher than the previous bad one but now I have another concern. The rectifier is getting heated up to an extent that I can't touch it. This indicates that the new stator is producing much more power than is required which is being wasted as heat. Any smart suggestions regarding how can one utilize that power for some other interesting stuff / performance upgrades / mods?
          Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2014, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Get a SH-775 R/R And protect your brand new stator or plan on finding another spare stator soon!
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Get a SH-775 R/R And protect your brand new stator or plan on finding another spare stator soon!
              +++++++++++10

Comment

safwankhan,Glad to hear you are up and running again!
                If you have the original rectifier/regulator, the heat on your rectifier is probably not going to go away whether you add some more loads or not. The rectification itself produces heat in these devices and the originals were not as rugged as others of the same vintage -they seem to burn out too often and I believe the electrics gave these bikes a bad reputation soon after they were sold.
                So, keep your "fingers crossed" (as we say over here) that it does not fail. If you cannot easily find the new and popular SH 775 or its variants , I recommend you go back to that junkyard and have a look for a Honda one from a larger bike. I've replaced two burned out Suzuki OEM R/R's with 2nd hand SH238's(I believe they were from CX/GL 500's) . Basscliff has some instruction here as to the differences in wiring these Honda regulators.

But paying close attention to your connections can help too...I mean for instance, a "ground bus" so that the negative side can have a "resistance free" path to the Battery's negative pole...there is plenty of stuff about all these improvements here if you can sort through and find it.

Comment

Great information. I will look around for SH-775 or its variants. Btw i've heard from some bikers here that Honda CBR1000's R/R (2005 model) is also a good replacement R/R as it is made up of FETs and runs cooler than the stock or OEM versions. Is that true? Regarding your bus point, I've tightly mounted battery's negative terminal to the frame with a bolt connector after sand blasting the point of contact to ensure direct metal-to-metal connection and did the same with the R/R's ground on the other side of the frame with anther bolt connector so the ground connection is pretty solid with zero resistance across both points.
                  Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                  safwankhan,Glad to hear you are up and running again!
                  If you have the original rectifier/regulator, the heat on your rectifier is probably not going to go away whether you add some more loads or not. The rectification itself produces heat in these devices and the originals were not as rugged as others of the same vintage -they seem to burn out too often and I believe the electrics gave these bikes a bad reputation soon after they were sold.
                  So, keep your "fingers crossed" (as we say over here) that it does not fail. If you cannot easily find the new and popular SH 775 or its variants , I recommend you go back to that junkyard and have a look for a Honda one from a larger bike. I've replaced two burned out Suzuki OEM R/R's with 2nd hand SH238's(I believe they were from CX/GL 500's) . Basscliff has some instruction here as to the differences in wiring these Honda regulators.

But paying close attention to your connections can help too...I mean for instance, a "ground bus" so that the negative side can have a "resistance free" path to the Battery's negative pole...there is plenty of stuff about all these improvements here if you can sort through and find it.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-27-2014, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Thanks Tom for this info. However I can't seem to find an SH-775 on ebay. Can you suggest from where I can get one of these?

Comment

Originally posted by safwan.khan View Post
                      Thanks Tom for this info. However I can't seem to find an SH-775 on ebay. Can you suggest from where I can get one of these?
                      Another member found this recently - in Spain, and ships worldwide, might be worth checking into..4012941 is part number for the SH-775
                      V
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Oops, don't go recommending that one, it's almost certain to be a non-series type - read this.

It's all very fishy, indeed.
                        Last edited by Grimly; 07-27-2014, 06:41 AM.
                        ---- Dave
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                          Oops, don't go recommending that one, it's almost certain to be a non-series type - read this.

It's all very fishy, indeed.
                          Yeah, it's fishy, but I wouldn't expect them to understand series vs. shunt argument. But they should be able to pick unit up up and note Shindengen's markings. If it was false, I' report them to eBay and get full refund plus Nadia would get a black eye. OP has got to do some digging considering his location!
                          1981 gs650L

Comment

Yeah, it's fishy, but I wouldn't expect them to understand series vs. shunt argument. But they should be able to pick unit up up and note Shindengen's markings. If it was false, I' report them to eBay and get full refund plus Nadia would get a black eye. OP has got to do some digging considering his location!
                            I think the owner of that company knows exactly what the difference is and what he's doing. 'Nadia' is probably a sweaty jock in a basement.
                            ---- Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                              I think the owner of that company knows exactly what the difference is and what he's doing. 'Nadia' is probably a sweaty jock in a basement.
                              I was thinking "Nadia" was the name of his Russian girlfriend who moonlighted as a Shindengen rep while working her way through college.
                              1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                              X