Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy Stator/RR Replacement for '77 GS550?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
    Is sounds like there is a short across the three legs very close or the stator input.
    I had to pull the wires pretty tight to fit through all of the guides and slide the grommet into the slot. Does it sound like I might have pulled some wire out of the insulation at the stator connection point? On the BassCliff stator replacement guide it seems there was a similar problem that was solved by simply re-soldering the connection points.

Also, when I open it up is there anyway to tell what went wrong and whether it was my fault or a manufacturer defect?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by JE550B View Post
      I had to pull the wires pretty tight to fit through all of the guides and slide the grommet into the slot. Does it sound like I might have pulled some wire out of the insulation at the stator connection point? On the BassCliff stator replacement guide it seems there was a similar problem that was solved by simply re-soldering the connection points.

Also, when I open it up is there anyway to tell what went wrong and whether it was my fault or a manufacturer defect?

Thanks
      You are just going to need pictures. If your measurements are correct then there is something wrong and if you are lucky it will be obvious.

Comment

Back in post #12, you stated that you replaced the stator with a Rick's 12-pole stator. You had mentioned in previous posts that you are aware of an "upgrade" to an 18-pole stator and that it also requires changing the rotor.

I am wondering if someone had already done the upgrade?

Did the stator that you removed have 12 poles?

Next time you pull the stator cover, let me know. There is a test you can do to see if you have a rotor that is meant for 12 or 18 pole stators.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Back in post #12, you stated that you replaced the stator with a Rick's 12-pole stator. You had mentioned in previous posts that you are aware of an "upgrade" to an 18-pole stator and that it also requires changing the rotor.

I am wondering if someone had already done the upgrade?

Did the stator that you removed have 12 poles?

Next time you pull the stator cover, let me know. There is a test you can do to see if you have a rotor that is meant for 12 or 18 pole stators.

First thing I have heard they is making any sense

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Back in post #12, you stated that you replaced the stator with a Rick's 12-pole stator.
            In post #12 I said that I went with Electrosport. I went with that particular unit because it was a fresh 12-pole rather than the rewound Rick's that was almost twice the price. I'm 99% sure the old stator was 12-pole because I compared the two when I pulled it off. I'll track down that 1% of doubt this week. It still might be possible that the old stator was a 12-pole in a previously, previously installed 18-pole rotor because that stator hasn't worked since I bought the bike. Is there a visual test that could confirm the status of the rotor or do I need to have some gear ready when I open it up?

I'll post a follow-up when I have a chance to pull the stator cover.
            Last edited by Guest; 09-15-2014, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JE550B View Post
              Is there a visual test that could confirm the status of the rotor or do I need to have some gear ready when I open it up?
              OK, sorry that I mis-remembered the vendor, but the main point was the 12-pole stator.

No special gear or tools necessary, just a piece of steel that you don't care if it gets magnetized. You can use a screwdriver, nail or a metal coat hanger, it doesn't really matter. Just hold one end of it to the inside of the rotor, you will notice that is gets pulled to one of the magnet poles. Move it around the rotor, count how many times it gets pulled to a pole.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Bad news: I am King of the Noobs.
                Good news: I know what the problem is... posplayr and Steve for the tag team win. Special credit to Facius for the July 2014 thread that could have prevented my mistake had I completely understood it at the time.

It has started raining in the PNW and I found some time to pull the stator cover. 18-pole stator for sure; 6 pairs. Checked it 10 times with different magnets. Old, toasty stator really was 12-pole so I guess this is how I learn my lesson about not trusting the PO.

Steve - Just PM'ed you on a smaller 18-pole stator.

Thanks again everybody for helping out on this thread.
                Last edited by Guest; 10-14-2014, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Success! Thanks to Steve for shipping that new stator fast enough for me to enjoy the beautiful weekend weather.

Caution to new owners: check to see if your original 12-pole system has been upgraded to 18-pole next time you've got the stator cover off.

Comment

Working...
                  X