Shifter Return Spring GS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifter Return Spring GS1100

My return spring must have just gave out, is it worth trying to replace myself or should i just take it to a shop?

Hi cowboyjim35.

Welcome to the forum.

I can't answer that. But others can and will. The short of it is it depends.

Depends on your tools, your skill level and your willingness to learn, make mistake and get dirty.
    Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
    1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

to remove the shifter shaft you must first remove the entire clutch basket assembly.
      if you are comfortable with this.....then go for it!
      and ummm....when in doubt...take pics of each step and use this to reassemble.

tools needed....1/2" impact and a 1-1/4" socket.
      metric socket not needed as this SAE socket fits better than it's metric cousin.
      Last edited by blowerbike; 08-16-2014, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Are you talking about the one on the shift shaft or the one on the pawl barrel at the transmission? One would be a lot simpler than the other. Alot of "shops" either won't touch it or will screw it up worse than you could

Comment

Originally posted by matt1100 View Post
          Are you talking about the one on the shift shaft or the one on the pawl barrel at the transmission? One would be a lot simpler than the other. Alot of "shops" either won't touch it or will screw it up worse than you could

i really have no clue at this point. All i know is when riding if I shift with my foot, either up or down, it does not return to the Center position. I must put it back in it's "normal" center position before shifting again.

How many labor hours?

Comment

How long would this take typically?

Comment

I'm in the exact same spot and have been searching for a solution with my own 81 850g

Comment

As mentioned, pull clutch basket and go exploring
                Attached Files
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

My return spring must have just gave out

The "must have" part is what caught my eye, as in you don't actually know that the shift lever return spring is broken. The shift lever could be bent, there could be something jammed in the shift shaft seal, or something else entirely. If it were my bike, I'd at least want to know what the problem is before dragging the bike into the repair shop where they can pretty much make up any story they want about the maintenance effort required and charge you accordingly.

We're a DIY community here, so the only answer your going to get is "try to fix it yourself and we'll help you along the way." If you put your location into your profile information or signature, there's a very good chance that there's someone nearby who can help out in person.
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I'd bet that almost no shop would even touch it. Most techs that work in the shops today haven't even seen your bike, let alone worked on one. I'd recommend you to do it yourself if even close to being mechanically inclined. As others have said... Take pictures as you go so you'll remember how things go back together. Download the factory service manual for your bike from here:

Tons of information there.

If you get to a stumbling point then stop back here and ask as many questions as you need. Post pictures for clarification purposes. Good luck with your next project.

PS: What model and year is your GS1100? You might want to put that in your signature so others wont have to ask when you post again. You might also want to put your location into your profile. There are many of us all over the world and you might find someone local to give you a hand.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                    X