No announcement yet.

To KLR or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just checked 'em out...they look pretty beefy! Ought to protect the side of the radiator in a drop/crash just fine!
    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Does that brake upgrade overwhelm the traction of the front tire, especially with knobbies?
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
        Does that brake upgrade overwhelm the traction of the front tire, especially with knobbies?
        Sure, if you want to. It still takes a pretty damn healthy squeeze, so it's not like you're going to run out and lose the front end the first time you grab a handful of brake. There are reports of stoppies as well...

Knobbies have a lot more traction on the street than most people expect. The feel is a little different as the knobs flex, but grip is fine.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post
          I just checked 'em out...they look pretty beefy! Ought to protect the side of the radiator in a drop/crash just fine!
          I'm a really, really crappy off-road rider, but for some reason I almost always biff it to the left. Believe me, the SW-Motech bars protect the radiator and such VERY well.

I also hit a deer at about 50 mph last year, and the bike slide a good way on its left side. A little untweaking and a little black paint, and the crash bars are back in service. (Along with replacing everything on the front end, the rear subframe, and most of the plastics...)

Yep, they're stout.
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post

If you do a panic stop using just the front brake on pavement with knobbies, perhaps it is a possibility. Otherwise, I have never had an issue. I have Dunlop 606s on my KLR and love 'em. Air them up and they tolerate pavement miles well. Air them down and they plow thru anything.

I have taken my Pig thru places that folks say it has no right going thru...surprisingly capable bike if you go in knowing it isn't a 250lb dirt bike and act accordingly. I have installed RT emulators up front, but also need to add heavier fork springs.
            Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Finally got a short ride this afternoon. This thing is gonna be a hoot!

sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
              2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

i've locked up D606's accidentally on dry pavement with stock DR650 brakes.

Comment

Took my second ride on it this morning complete with a flat rear tire out in the boonies. Had to push it a half mile or so and walk a couple more to a place my wife could find me. I'm Loving it!
                  Last edited by marvinsc; 11-22-2014, 09:11 PM.

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Well, you're just livin' the dream, aren't ya?
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Well, on the upside the bike is now at a local independent shop where they will fix the flat, and install the Crash bars and skid plate.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                        Well, on the upside the bike is now at a local independent shop where they will fix the flat, and install the Crash bars and skid plate.
                        SHOP????

I've seen Brian change KLR flats with rocks and sticks..........................You'll need to get good at fixing flats if you don't want to push and walk a lot more!

Joe
                        IBA# 24077
                        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

2 weeks into ownership and this is my first. I have no idea what happened so hopefully I will get better............

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Got the bike back today, new inner tube and functional Farkles installed.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Oooh, purty! Nice shiny hardware. It'll get dirty soon enough...

We'll have to get together sometime for a trailside tire changing class.

During the flat tire incident Joe mentioned, I forgot to bring my trail stand, so we did indeed employ rocks and sticks. It was about the nicest place I've ever fixed a flat -- not too hot, shady, fairly level, no traffic, a slight breeze, and of course plenty of handy rocks and sticks.
                              Last edited by bwringer; 12-06-2014, 03:42 AM.
                              Eat more venison.

Comment

Scott, I missed checking in on this thread but heard at Joe's X-mas party last night (thanks Krusty) that you had gotten a dual sport. Very, very nice. Brian mentioned most of the upgrades and I would also add heated grips and these gauntlets. They have great coverage and I added some 12 ga electrical wire within the seams so they hold thier shape better but for early in the season and late in the season they are outstanding IMHO and you can wear light gloves and your hands will be warm.

The Symtec Heat Demon Heated Grips are a great, must have accessory. 2-stage heated grips that keep you comfortable and warm and riding with these rea…

Here is the link to our "field tire changing" party"

I carried this kit on my trip this summer, fortunately I did not have to use it but it is required IMHO for solo riding just in case you do get a flat tire. It has room for front and rear tubes, spoons, stem puller, and you can also put in a small bottle of talcum powder and tire lube to help get the tire back on.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...rons?term=tusk fender tube tire kit
                                https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...ler?term=valve stem puller
                                https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...uddy?term=bead buddy tire tool
                                Last edited by twr1776; 12-07-2014, 01:13 PM.
                                82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                                81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                                83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                                06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                                AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Working...
                                X