Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

78 GS 550 Front End Swap...What to do about digital speedometer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS 550 Front End Swap...What to do about digital speedometer?

Hello guys!

I have a 1798 GS550 that I picked up on the cheap. She wasn't looking too pretty, so I did a few cosmetic changes.

Then my front forks blew seals, and while rebuilding I realized they were missing pieces! So I put a GSXR600 front end onto without really planning all the details. I've gotten all the wiring and cables routed...but now I don't know what to do about my speedo.

I understand tach is pretty easy, just wiring into the ignition coil.

However, I'm pretty lost when it comes to wiring up a new digital speedometer. I know the GSXRs are read off the front sprocket, and GS is mechanical off the front wheel...but now that I have a GSXR wheel, no mechanical drive.
    I'm guessing I have to go with magnetic wheel speed sensor mounted somewhere, but I have no idea what type of sensor will work well for me and what calibrations I may need to do. I just picked up a generic slim design speedo/tach/gear position indicator combo off eBay.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a sensor and mounting location?

Thanks!

photo (5).jpg

I don't know how to answer your question.

Just dropping by to say "Nice bike!"

Comment

Sweet looking front on that bike. I put a Danmoto digital unit on my bike and it was super easy to wire up. Had to put magnet on wheel and make a mount for the sensor but still super easy.

Comment

Working...
      X