No announcement yet.

Big bore GS(X) 400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you were doing full throttle at the higher rpm's, then it sounds like your mains should be 135-140 based on the guy running VM32's on a bigger cc twin, and your hunch that it was lean. Lean produces more of a zingy sound, where rich can produce more of a deep muffled throaty sound. Lean is BAD BAD BAD at high speeds at full throttle, be careful. The AFR gauges are awesome for very quick assesment of jetting for that reason and a multitude of others.

If your main jet going from 185 to 130 changed the way your bike idled, then you are running quite lean on the pilot jets (idle jets) I'd venture to say. Bump that up one or two sizes.

I was really suspecting that with this setup, you'd have the hardest trouble tuning the low mid to mid throttle area with the needle jet and jet needle combinations. If you can get it set up to give you a good AFR reading just by adjusting the needle height, you are quite lucky.

You really need to approach it this way:

#1 main jet in the suspected vicinity of size based on similar bikes and your quick test runs
    #2 needle probably in middle or higher positions (if 5 nothches to adjust, I'd try #4 for starters)
    #3 adjust valve shimming and bench synch carbs, then adjust idle jet size
    #4 tune idle perfectly (a Gunson Colortune for $40 used on ebay is AWESOME for this) and vacuum synch carbs
    #5 find a remote location (desolate uphill straight road is best) and roll on to full throttle 5000-10000rpm pulls, swapping main jet sizes until 6500/7000rpm+ feels and sounds the best
    #5.5 take some extra spark plugs and socket, do plug chops when you get the mains close. do advanced search for "plug chops" under my username Chuck78 to get detailed info - most of the info I posted above in your thread.
    #6 now with main jet sizing set, do 5000-8000rpm pulls at a little above and then a little below half throttle, while tweaking the needle height to get it to feel best, and do plug chops to confirm mixture at that range. If you have a lot of trouble at all needle positions, I'd stop here and weld an o2 bung on your exhaust and get an AFR setup, or go visit your friend with a Dyno, as he may likely have an AFR exhaust probe for his Dyno tuning, and he could tell you with that real quick if your mid throttle positions at mid to high rpm's are far too lean or too rich.

If you have trouble tuning the 1/8 to 1/4 throttle range after that, you may need to look into upsizing or downsizing the needle jets slightly, and then re-adjust the needle height (down if larger needle jet, up higher - lower clip position - if smaller needle jet.

I believe this to be the best possible method to attack tuning this setup. Again, I HIGHLY recommend the AEM, Innovate, or similar wideband o2 AFR setups for their incredible ease of getting exact results immediately, as opposed to spending a ton of time with trial and error on jet sizing etc - especially for your setup running non stock carbs that are not tuned at all for this size engine. With a stock carb, you know that your needle jet and needle and other settings will be remotely close, but with XS650 prepped VM34's. you may be far off in tuning specs, and the AFR readings would really help get you going the right direction immediately. I think I paid $140-170 US dollars for mine. Very well worth it. The Gunson Colortune glass spark plug was an awesome tuning tool for the idle as well. With only 2 cylinders to tune, the AFR setup and careful attention to engine rpm;s while tuning as well as careful plug reading,a nd you might be able to tune the idle just as easily with the AFR gauge. On a 4 cylinder with the AFR gauge, tuning the idle is just too complicated with a single o2 sensor in the collector vs individual sniffer in each head pipe. The Gunson is really awesome though, I still recommend it. yellowish flame, too rich. blue with occasional flickers of yellow, slightly rich and slightly fouling. blue flame, perfect. blue-ish white, too lean. Very easy to read.

Excited to hear your progress.
    Last edited by Chuck78; 02-16-2015, 05:36 PM.
    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

With the GSX400 4 valve per cylinder, you probably are somewhat limited in cam selection (OEM only!), but I bet MegaCycle can regrind your cams for you no problem, as they will do the big four cylinder bikes, which should be the same as your cam but with the outer two cylinders' lobes whacked off. Just browse their catalog for the GSX750 grinds for something that works well with aftermarket pistons in the 10.25:1 compression range. A lot of their full race cams say they need 11:1 or as high as 13:1 compression. The more modern cam profiles really trap more of the intake charge, as they have a higher lift compared to the duration, vs the old cams that kept the valves open for a longer time to have an easier ramping rate. The OEM cams bleed off more compression and have much lower lift. Big gains jumping to a modern performance grind.
      Last edited by Chuck78; 02-16-2015, 05:39 PM.
      '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
      '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
      '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
      '79 GS425stock
      PROJECTS:
      '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
      '77 GS550 740cc major mods
      '77 GS400 489cc racer build
      '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

thank you for taking an interest Chuck - but we have pretty good cam grinders here in NZ too...Kelford, local to me do all the Cosworth "import car" cams worldwide. I've built motors for three previous owners of the business so have pretty good relations there.
        Carb tuning...40 plus years of experience.
        We'll get it sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
          Those 135's without filters will equal 125's with filter. The old rule is down 10 on the main with a filter.
          See if you can read the numbers on the idle jets.
          According to my 12 year old daughter, whose eyes are way better than mine, the number on the idle jet on the bike is 15, the 2 sets not in the bike are 12.5's.
          What do you suggest getting? or can we drill out the 12.5's to something usefull?

Comment

On a side note, it was the first time I had had the bowls off the carbs, interesting way the floats work, not what I expected at all.

Comment

I know it doesn't mean anything as not a proper plug chop, but after my quick flick up the street and back both plugs are a nice tan colour, running on 98 octane unleaded. Will most likely get some AvGas for the next track outing.

Comment

Originally posted by MuzzaB View Post
                According to my 12 year old daughter, whose eyes are way better than mine, the number on the idle jet on the bike is 15, the 2 sets not in the bike are 12.5's.
                What do you suggest getting? or can we drill out the 12.5's to something usefull?
                yes we can. Did you say you'd bought a small set of drills ? The 0 -1mm set in a plastic dome by any chance ? Mine has a few gaps now - not bad given it's about 25 years old. I'd suspect that one set is actually 17.5 not 12.5, without a lens they're very hard to read.

Comment

yes we can. Did you say you'd bought a small set of drills ? The 0 -1mm set in a plastic dome by any chance ? Mine has a few gaps now - not bad given it's about 25 years old. I'd suspect that one set is actually 17.5 not 12.5, without a lens they're very hard to read.
                  Coming in the post is a 20 Piece Micro HSS Drill Bit Set that has:
                  0.3. 0.35. 0.4. 0.45. 0.5. 0.55. 0.6. 0.65. 0.7. 0.75. 0.8. 0.85. 0.9. 0.95. 1.0. 1.2. 1.3. 1.4. 1.5 and 1.6mm drill bits

Plugs after run up the street. IMGP3700.jpg

Comment

That's probably still a little lean on our 98. If you see that colour on avgas, it's correct.

Comment

Hey Greg,

Drill bits arrived. Really sure both sets of pilots not in the bike are all 12.5's. I checked what the carb kit was supposed to come with and it said 2 sets of pilots, so guess they put in an extra set by mistake.

What are you up to on Friday 27th Feb? With racing Saturday I usually head over after work Firday, but could take the day off and come over earlier to see you for a tuning session if it suited.

Cheers
                      Muzz

Comment

Can do as far as i know at present. Do you want a bed or is it already arranged ?

Comment

Thanks for the offer, but should be sorted for a bed. Will let you know.

So, I have three sets of mains that are small enough to be drilled, sizes 120 125 130. (also have a pair of 135's borrowed from Chris)
                          I also have 5 sets of bigger ones 165 - 185, and another pair drilled to 1.5mm (was a test to see what a bigger one would do, makes really black plugs!! ), I also have the 3 sets of pilots. Enough for us to work with or should I get some more?

Comment

That's fine, i may even have some alternate needles.

Comment

That's fine, i may even have some alternate needles.
                              I'm a bit of a fan of AVgas for racing , but shall I bring some 98 pump gas for tuning if it makes it easier to get a read on the plugs?

Comment

Originally posted by MuzzaB View Post
                                I'm a bit of a fan of AVgas for racing , but shall I bring some 98 pump gas for tuning if it makes it easier to get a read on the plugs?
                                No - set it up on what you're going to race on.

Comment

Working...
                                X