I think this is goodbye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this is goodbye

Hey ladies (and gents), it's been a while since checked in. My days of feeling the wind in face are very likey over I got a job in Kansas City a few months back and my first day, on my way to work, I fell and broke my wrist It's been a long couple of months. After 5 weeks it was not healing correctly and they had to go back and do surgery and put some metal in. I pray when the cast comes off it's right this time bu confidence is at all time low. It's been a real ordeal, no insurance at the time and had to get a lawyer to help me which cost more bucks. Cast comes off in two weeks an hope I can still spin the throttle but doctor is not very reassuring I am suppose to be calling on clients/customers but my company won't let me drive until I'm fixed and I'm tired of starting at the walls LOL. Hope you all doing well and had a good riding season!!!

Ps Excuse poor typing, mostly a one hand pecker right now

Maybe you have a thumb style throttle fixed up, like some of the 4 wheelers had, or have. (I don't keep up). Either way, sorry to hear about your accident and the grief it's caused. In two weeks, you may feel much better, most doctors like to prepare you for the worst, so be optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Lila :) View Post
      Hey ladies (and gents), it's been a while since checked in. My days of feeling the wind in face are very likey over I got a job in Kansas City a few months back and my first day, on my way to work, I fell and broke my wrist It's been a long couple of months. After 5 weeks it was not healing correctly and they had to go back and do surgery and put some metal in. I pray when the cast comes off it's right this time bu confidence is at all time low. It's been a real ordeal, no insurance at the time and had to get a lawyer to help me which cost more bucks. Cast comes off in two weeks an hope I can still spin the throttle but doctor is not very reassuring I am suppose to be calling on clients/customers but my company won't let me drive until I'm fixed and I'm tired of starting at the walls LOL. Hope you all doing well and had a good riding season!!!

Don't give up, there are ways to keep riding. When I more or less lost the use of my legs and on crutches due to my arthritis eating up my hip joints for near;y 5 years. I was bound and determine to ride again at sometime, so I kept my bike and sat her up for long time storage. Then I had both hips replaced and one year exactly to the date I had my surgries, I started to ride again. Best f**king feeling I ever had.

If your wrist wont allow you to manipulate the throttle. Think about having the throttle moved to the left side? There is always a way to stay in the wind.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I don't know if this idea will help Lila, but back in the old days Harley had a European model bike that had the throttle on the left and clutch on the right.....
        82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
        80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
          Maybe you have a thumb style throttle fixed up, like some of the 4 wheelers had, or have. (I don't keep up). Either way, sorry to hear about your accident and the grief it's caused. In two weeks, you may feel much better, most doctors like to prepare you for the worst, so be optimistic.
          I sure hope your right I don't about the thumb things you mention, may hav to look into that

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
            Don't give up, there are ways to keep riding. When I more or less lost the use of my legs and on crutches due to my arthritis eating up my hip joints for near;y 5 years. I was bound and determine to ride again at sometime, so I kept my bike and sat her up for long time storage. Then I had both hips replaced and one year exactly to the date I had my surgries, I started to ride again. Best f**king feeling I ever had.

If your wrist wont allow you to manipulate the throttle. Think about having the throttle moved to the left side? There is always a way to stay in the wind.
            Originally posted by Gregory View Post
            I don't know if this idea will help Lila, but back in the old days Harley had a European model bike that had the throttle on the left and clutch on the right.....

I have hope again I need to quit being sch a chic and suck it up some me thinks

Comment

I have hope again I need to quit being sch a chic and suck it up some me thinks
              There ya go!
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Hmmm, most of the chics I know who ride would be up for the challenge

You'll find a way.
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Healing Time

Hey Lila,

It's been a while alright. Sad to hear about your wrist and all the challenges that came with it. My thoughts/prayers are with you for healing properly and regaining full use of your wrist. Don't count yourself out of riding in the future--that would be a sad day.

I'm currently not riding due to my job taking me from Delaware to Florida. I rode the heck out of my "T" while in New Mexico and she requires serious maintenance. I look forward to the day I can re-engage with her and do the maintenance on my own.

Take care and drop by every now and again.

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Oh bummer, sorry about the wrist! Hopefully you will be able to ride again (and soon!).

Comment

Oh wow, sorry to hear this Lila. Hopefully you will heal up correctly and back in the saddle soon. I was wondering why you hadn't taken me up on my offer to come to Orlando, you went and got a good job! Send me an email and lets reconnect.

Comment

I found a long time ago that riding motorcycles is not just a means of transportation, it is an adjunct to your life. It may not be a vital necessity, but it can certainly feel like it, and the rewards you gain, from moment to moment, make that true.

My first injury was a broken wrist. It healed. The second was a broken back. It was .not a major break, but a vertebral fracture that also saw all of the muscles in the area torn loose. It healed. Scraping my face across the asphalt for more tha a hundred feet (you do that in about one second at 60mph) was not a nice experience, but it showed there are benefits to wearing a helmet. Lots of stitches, but it healed.

Riding alone on an empty highway in mid-evening with the sun almost gone, and only a bright glow to the left that causes streaks of red and hints of blue to scatter themselves through the clouds above, with darker clouds descending to disrupt the milieu of colours, while you ride with nothing around you but the wind and tidbits of debris that the swirls are picking up; feeling the evening chill calling down rain, sensing its pending arrival as your body notes the temperature changing, and then viewing the awesome and majestic sight nature reserves for motorcyclists and observant pedestrians, of seeing lightning begin far away to the left, then streak laterally between miles of murky clouds until the far right horizon limit is reached, and then it rises vertically, but only momentarily, before the streak turns into an exploding ball of frenzied light. And a few seconds later, it all happens again. .

These are not merely memorable moments, they are part of motorcycling because somehow, even if it happens when you are in a car, you will likely do no more than acknowledge the flash, turn up the radio to drown out the thunder, and drive on.
                        Last edited by argonsagas; 09-24-2014, 02:43 PM.
                        "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post

Riding alone on an empty highway in mid-evening with the sun almost gone, and only a bright glow to the left that causes streaks of red and hints of blue to scatter themselves through the clouds above, with darker clouds descending to disrupt the milieu of colours, while you ride with nothing around you but the wind and tidbits of debris that the swirls are picking up; feeling the evening chill calling down rain, sensing its pending arrival as your body notes the temperature changing, and then viewing the awesome and majestic sight nature reserves for motorcyclists and observant pedestrians, of seeing lightning begin far away to the left, then streak laterally between miles of murky clouds until the far right horizon limit is reached, and then it rises vertically, but only momentarily, before the streak turns into an exploding ball of frenzied light. And a few seconds later, it all happens again. .

These are not merely memorable moments, they are part of motorcycling because somehow, even if it happens when you are in a car, you will likely do no more than acknowledge the flash, turn up the radio to drown out the thunder, and drive on.
                          Well said ...
                          Currently in the Stable :
                          2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                          1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                          - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Wow, argonsagas. I've never tried to put my feeling of riding a motorcycle to words, but you just did it beautifully. Well said indeed.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your wrist. Doctors tend to underpromise and we tend to pick up on the most pessimistic things they say and forget the good bits. Your wrist has been out of action for some time and will need more to relearn. A lot depends on the physical damage but more on the attitude of the patient and the help they get in recovery after the cast is off. There is a lady round here who does real physiotherapy from her home - she takes no prisoners and has helped me with a few minor issues. I have the feeling that if you find a partner to help you take that wrist on you will surprise yourself. Good luck and best wishes on getting back on the horse.
                              97 R1100R
                              Previous
                              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
                              X