Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I think this is goodbye

Wow Lila, sorry to hear of your mishap! You can absolutely overcome this setback, and don't ever let anyone tell you that a 'chick' can't do it.
    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Lila :) Guest

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful thoughts I have to say I fell like a real cryer and honestly embarrassed when I read some of your experiences compared to mine. Anyways the cast came off Thursday and according to the docs the bones look to be aligned and healed correctly but to expect some possible diminished use or soreness. It is stiff but I think I will be able to twist the throttle. Some physical therapy is in my future and what they call "post traumatic wrist arthritis" is a likely a probability. Again I appreciate everyone's kindness and looks like next year I'll ride again

Maybe it will make you feel better to think of twisting the throttle as good "therapy" for your wrist. The PT clinic would probably charge big bucks to work you out on a Suzuki Wrist Twist Strengthening System, but you already have one!
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

argonsagas is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Lila :) View Post
    Thanks to all of you for your wonderful thoughts I have to say I fell like a real cryer and honestly embarrassed when I read some of your experiences compared to mine. Anyways the cast came off Thursday and according to the docs the bones look to be aligned and healed correctly but to expect some possible diminished use or soreness. It is stiff but I think I will be able to twist the throttle. Some physical therapy is in my future and what they call "post traumatic wrist arthritis" is a likely a probability. Again I appreciate everyone's kindness and looks like next year I'll ride again

Small-type advice.

Pleae re-read my last post, and IGNORE the doomsay warning about inevitable arthritis.

Post injury arthritis is not inevitable and whatever does show up need not impinge on your chosen activities more than you allow it to do.

Your personal attitude about healing and the effort you put into restoring yourself to whatever fitness level you had before the injury can make more difference than anything else. That is not an exaggeration.

After looking at my x-rays several doctors questioned how I could stand the pain when forcing myself to do normal activities, and refuse medication. They truly cannot comprehend that this was the best recovery path for me, and each time it allowed me to regain full joint movement and muscle tone, with no serious loss in bodily expectations.

How hard (or not) you push yourself is best judged by your own body....not necessarily the brain. LISTEN to your body It will tell you what it needs.
    Use your brain to focus on what is needed, and make the decision to fully heal. Decide that you WILL heal, and then do what your body tells you to do.
    "The only thing worse than ignorance is arrogance." AE

Argon, thanks for your inspirational thoughts I am pushing all negativity out and the rehab is going well, acutally my wrist feels pretty great, maybe 85% or so. If this is as good as it gets I'm ok with it, I can twist the throttle Thanks to everyone, I really do enjoy this site

Quote Originally Posted by Lila :) View Post
    Argon, thanks for your inspirational thoughts I am pushing all negativity out and the rehab is going well, acutally my wrist feels pretty great, maybe 85% or so. If this is as good as it gets I'm ok with it, I can twist the throttle Thanks to everyone, I really do enjoy this site
    As in the Queen song, get on your bike and ride! In your case a motorcycle.
    MrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Gramma Peppermint Guest

Hi Lila!
    Long time no talk.
    So sorry about your mishap. Seems you have come a long way since the accident!

How's the old wrist now? So true about not letting negativity prevail...
    It's amazing what a woman can do when she puts her mind to it, eh?

Let us hear more from you please.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramma Peppermint View Post
    Hi Lila!
    Long time no talk.

Lol, last update, she was bike shopping now.
    MrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Gramma Peppermint Guest

Thanks mrbill. Sounds fantastic !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gramma Peppermint View Post
    Hi Lila!
    Long time no talk.

Hi Gramma, its great to hear from you again The wrist is usable and seems to be improving with therapy. I try not to worry about the future too much. I fell due to negligence in a parking garage ( a cleaning company spilled a large drum of soapy cleaner stuff) and their insurance company contacted me yesterday. I am looking to put this all behind me and move forward. Enough about me, did you get much riding in this year? Besides test rides it was nada for me I am looking at bikes now. Nice to hear from you again