X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Massive Carburetor problems, need help

Hello fellow GS riders, I am new here so please
    forgive me of this has been covered
    (I've been searching since last night with no luck)

problems
    -running on three cylinders
    -immediately fouls new plugs in the non running
    cylinder and the one next to it looks bad
    -strong gasoline smell upon starting
    -popping (LOUD) misfiring sputtering and stalling
    extremely low power w intermittent bursts of almost full power
    -sometimes pours quite a bit of gas through the airbox overflow tube

Now from what I've read from this wonderful site, I know my carbs are not healthy, specifically my float needles or another part of them? (I really don't know much about carbs) and I've seen that the petcock (which doesn't work in reserve) could also be causing problems...and that they may even be working together.

Looking for a cheap fix, or a cheap carb alternative that is as good or better for performance and reliability

thanks in advance and sorry if this has already been asked

-Mark

Almost forgot, bike is a 1982 GS1100GL (or G or L the shaftie "cruiser")

Comment

Go here and look on the right side about directly in front of Cliffs bike...CV carb rebuild tutorial and look at the list for a service manual,while there.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You DO NOT need any rebuild kits. What you need are the orings for the carbs and the intake manifolds.

And DO NOT grip the float seats with pliers to get them out!! This will squish the hole out of round and then that seat is junked. Take a very thin blade and get it between the carb body and the shoulder of the seats and gently work around the seat and get them pried out that way.

DO NOT heat the seats to try and loosen the grip of the crud. There are screens in there that are held to the seats by a plastic locking band and heat will melt them.

Get the CV carb kit ( 1 kit does all 4 carbs ) and the intake manifold rings are on page 3. Measure the ID of the old orings and get the same size

Last edited by chuck hahn; 09-21-2014, 03:40 PM.
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Is the non firing cylinder #2 (second from left as you sit on bike) ? Then suspect petcock- in fact, always suspect petcock! Try disconnecting and blocking off vacuum line from petcock to carb #2- you'll have to use "pr" spot to get fuel to flow now, but now no fuel fuel can dribble/pour down the vac line.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thank you guys so much for the wisdom and quick response, I'll have my shop try this and get back to you

Comment

Useless waste of time trying to trouble shoot with known gumped up carbs..get them rebuilt per the tutorial and THEN youll be able to be precise on what the "other" problems are.

Comment

Originally posted by 82gs1100gl View Post
                Hello fellow GS riders, I am new here so please
                forgive me of this has been covered
                (I've been searching since last night with no luck)

problems
                -running on three cylinders
                -immediately fouls new plugs in the non running
                cylinder and the one next to it looks bad
                -strong gasoline smell upon starting
                -popping (LOUD) misfiring sputtering and stalling
                extremely low power w intermittent bursts of almost full power
                -sometimes pours quite a bit of gas through the airbox overflow tube

Now from what I've read from this wonderful site, I know my carbs are not healthy, specifically my float needles or another part of them? (I really don't know much about carbs) and I've seen that the petcock (which doesn't work in reserve) could also be causing problems...and that they may even be working together.

Looking for a cheap fix, or a cheap carb alternative that is as good or better for performance and reliability

thanks in advance and sorry if this has already been asked

-Mark
                If you're having a shop working on this old of a bike, it's not gonna be a cheap fix and more than likely they won't get it done correctly because they don't know the specifics of this bike. They'll probably buy 4 carb rebuild kits $40-$80 a piece, then charge you $200 in labor to clean then and rebuild them. I would take the bike back, take the carbs off, and build it yourself. It will be WAAY cheaper and you are more knowledgeable about the carbs. It doesn't take an Einstein.

Comment

You're completely correct about the crazy prices for a shop to do it, and I would really love to do the work myself, but I don't have anywhere to do it, the right tools, and I really do not know enough about carbs to be comfortable tearing them down on my only vehicle. Either way, my shop is picking it up tomorrow, and they still give me an employee discount, hopefully it won't be too expensive :/

Comment

Expect 450 to 600 from the shop. I do them for 185 a rack. Thats everything and shipping back. I order the orings and gaskets. All you need to do is box them and send a money order with them..or use paypal. Depending on what you want to spend and how long you want to be down I am offering an option. And youll be assured that they will be done right and save a boat load of cash. PM me if your interested for my info.

2 or 3 days each way shipping and 2 days to do the dipping and reassembly so you looking at around 7 or 8 days turn around time....roughly. I get the bowl gaskets out of Canada so and it usually takes 4 or 5 days to get to me I am usuaally done and just waiting on the gaskets to come and then its ship them back.
                    Last edited by chuck hahn; 09-21-2014, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Don't ask for help if you're not gonna listen. These guys know their stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by 82gs1100gl View Post
                        You're completely correct about the crazy prices for a shop to do it, and I would really love to do the work myself, but I don't have anywhere to do it, the right tools, and I really do not know enough about carbs to be comfortable tearing them down on my only vehicle. Either way, my shop is picking it up tomorrow, and they still give me an employee discount, hopefully it won't be too expensive :/
                        Damn and you're having the shop pick it up? Are they charging you for that or is it a good faith move? I can see dollar signs in their eyes. Make sure to get an itemized statement. For sure make sure they've changed the O-rings between the head and intake boots and make sure they've rebuilt the carbs and also sealed the airbox. This should be good to go after that.

Comment

If you want to pay someone to mess with your carbs for you, contact Chef 1366 on this list. Cheaper, and better. Here is the link:

If you sell parts or provide services for GS series motorcycles, place a description of it in this forum.

I've done my own, but I sent him the difficult ones that I was convinced that I would destroy in disassembly. They were so closely bench synched when I got them back that I barely had to touch them at all. Also, your petcock is clearly bad. Replace it so that you will have a solid foundation. I'm using an aftermarket one from Z1 Enterprises. Welcome
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Here is the $64,000 question, when were the valves last adjusted? And yes it makes a difference. It's service that should be done (assuming it's been awhile) while the carbs are off. It eliminates one problem area out of the equation. The petcock could be the another one.
                            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

If you're gonna own one of these older bikes you have to be able to do the maintenance or they will eat you alive in shop costs. Also I wouldn't depend on one as a DD unless you KNOW how to do everything on the bike..

Comment

Working...
                              X