Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D.I.Y. air compressor line 'desiccant' dryer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D.I.Y. air compressor line 'desiccant' dryer.

As moisture in vapor and liquid form occur in the air output of an air compressor and can have a detrimental effect on the quality of a paint job, I thought I would be nice to add a desiccant dryer to my existing system in order to remove whatever water vapor still exists, after going through the water separator I have already in place.

Let me state up front that a desiccant dryer is only a part of what is needed to remove all the contaminants normally found in the discharged air from an air compressor.

The first thing necessary towards removal of the contaminants is to drain the compressors tank on a regular basis. That doesn't mean every six months or even once a month, it means daily if the compressor is used regularly. The compressors tank is your first line defense towards having properly conditioned, oil and moisture free air. The second thing to look after on an air compressor is it's intake air filter. It needs to be inspected and replaced when it no longer is capable of doing it's job correctly. If it's plugged or full of dirt, the compressor WILL get it's air from some place and it won't be filtered. That unfiltered air goes right into the air tank air and into your air line(s) so keep the compressors filter clean and it's tank drained.

The other things needed to properly condition a compressors output are water and oil coalescers. A water coalescer (separator) removes the water in liquid form but does nothing to remove water vapor. That is where a desiccant dryer comes into play. It's job is to to remove the moisture in vapor form. A water separator normally includes a 5 micron filter.

The oil separator condenses the oil droplets present in the compressors output, allowing them to be collected and expelled out the bottom of it's bowl. An oil separator usually includes a .01 micron filter. In addition the oil separator, in most commercial air line systems, is an oil vapor filter which may include some form of activated carbon in it's design. It's purpose is to remove what oil may still exist after going through the oil separator. It is usually located just before the dryer.

My version of a desiccant dryer...

Only common tools were used to make this.

Tools....

Drill bits. (3/32", 1/8" and 7/16")
    Drill motor.
    Locking pliers (you may be able to substitute channel lock pliers)
    1/4" N.P.T tap.
    Pipe wrenches.
    Various sockets (for tracing the sheet stock and 50 micron screen and also as a form to wind the spring on)
    Adjustable wrench. (open end wench could also be used)
    Center punch.
    Scribe. (nail-awl-pick)
    Scissors.

Materials....
    Galvanized pipe. (I used 1-1/4" x 12")
    (2) galvanized pipe caps.
    1/4" pipe plug. (to check the desiccant in lew of a sight glass)
    Thin aluminum sheet stock.
    Coat hanger (poor mans spring)
    50 Micron screen (Ebay $2.64)
    Desiccant (Ebay $16 a quart. Enough to make three units @ 11 Oz per)
    Pipe sealant tape (I used a PTFE sealant that hardens in the absence of air)
    Various fittings to connect the dryer to your system.

Pictures...

Winding the spring made from a straightened coat hanger. (note the direction its being wound around the 13/16" socket)

Drill and tap each pipe cap. Set aside.

Stretch the wound spring and cut it in half. Square up the ends after you cut it and adjust as necessary to get it to fit inside the pipe and pipe caps. Note* friction fit is necessary on the galvanized pipe side to hold the filter screen and drilled aluminum plate in place. Ensure the other end fits loosely inside the pipe cap.

Find a socket that closely compares to the I.D. of the pipe and use a sharp nail- awl-pick to trace it's outline on to the aluminum sheet stock. Cut with tin snips (aviation sheers) File and or sand so it will fit inside the pipe with only a slight gap (In order to allow for the 50 micron screening wrap) Drill 1/8" or 5/32" holes as depicted. Choose a larger socket, trace and cut out the screening material, wrap the previously drilled plate. (X2)

Insert one plate/screen assembly squarely into the pipe with the screen side facing inward to a depth of about 13mm. Insert spring.

I drilled and tapped the side of the pipe at this point to accept a 1/4" pipe plug. You can do it before you install the screen assy and spring if you would like.

Clean chips out. Insert sight plug. Install pipe cap on the one end.

From the other end, fill with desiccant to within 5/8" from the end. Insert the remaining screen assy and the remaining spring. Seal the threads-install and tighten the remaining pipe cap.

Last edited by rustybronco; 10-02-2014, 08:02 AM.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Completed assembly...

Comment

The ATF has many examples of some home made filters too...LOL
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

There are no limits to this design. You could just as easily add a high pressure sight glass instead of the sight plug I use to check the color of the Desiccant. You could also use a longer length of pipe and incorporate activated carbon filter pads at the inlet end with an additional drilled aluminum plate to separate the carbon pad and the desiccant. That way the oil vapors can be removed before they can contaminate the desiccant.

The reason I didn't incorporate it was so I could remove the sight plug and bake it at 300° F to remove the moisture when it gets saturated.

NOTE****

One thing I didn't mention in my original post was the desiccant's color change. It changes from blue to pink at around 8% water (by weight). The desiccant is capable of holding up to 40% of it's weight in water but there is no way of knowing how much above 8% moisture it will be after it has changed colour.

Cudo's to the person who started me on this path* and to Griffin who told me what else was needed to make a complete 'conditioned' air system.

Thank you very much for your help and knowledge Griffin.

* http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=131919 see post #10
        Last edited by rustybronco; 09-27-2014, 03:23 AM.

Comment

I'm late to the party Looks good Dale.I think I can get a piece from wok just the right size to do mine.Two or 1 1/2 I think all threaded.Save my friend a bit of work he was going to do me.Will need a pipe tap.

Comment

Greg, it will take a bit of pressure to move sufficient air volume through your filters and this desiccant. If at all possible, try and minimize any restrictions and put your regulator at the end of the line.

Comment

I have a built in regulator but most times it's cranked up anyway.Have one I use for at the gun regulation to,defiantly using it for powder coating and spray guns.

Comment

So I thought of a question.Why do you need the springs?Head space?

Comment

I used them to hold the screen and plate assemblies in place. That way, if you wanted, you could remove an end cap and change the desiccant. You could have just as easily used stainless steel wool packing or anything else that could withstand the heat of baking.
                  Last edited by rustybronco; 10-12-2014, 09:24 PM.

Comment

OK I can see that.Got a 1 1/2" x 16' pipe and caps for mine from work,just need the NPT tap,the F72C from you,a few fittings and some desiccant and I should be good to go here

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                      OK I can see that.Got a 1 1/2" x 16' pipe and caps for mine from work,just need the NPT tap,the F72C from you,a few fittings and some desiccant and I should be good to go here
                      Just don't get pulled over with something that looks like this strapped to the back of your bike Greg. There would be a whole lot of " splainin " going on.....

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                      1983 GS 750

Comment

Now what are you trying to say Garth?It will be up on my shed wall hooked up to my compressor so I doubt even the most..........challenged cop would think it was a pipe bomb.Then again

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                          Now what are you trying to say Garth?It will be up on my shed wall hooked up to my compressor so I doubt even the most..........challenged cop would think it was a pipe bomb.Then again
                          Uh oh ! Now you've done it ! You'd best throw on a pot of coffee for the boys in stetsons when they arrive. Once CSIS picks up on the PB word in their internet spying software they should be along shortly. { put lots of sugar in, Gawd knows they can use some sweetening }
                          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                          1983 GS 750

Comment

From my dealing with the locals they don't even know the net exists

Comment

31qyRtizPPL._SL250_.jpgThreading a drilled hole in a piece of schedule 40 pipe would make me a little nervous with 150 lbs on it. Great idea for the drier though and if I can make any recommendations it would be to find a refrigerant drier shell that is take apart. They come in many sizes but are typically 48 cu in.
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-15-2014, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X