1977 GS750 carb tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 GS750 carb tuning

Hello all. I have a 1977 GS750 imported from the Netherlands. I have had it since 1978. I recently rebuild the carbs with 4 new rebuild kits. How is the proper adjustment made with the air/ fuel on the side of the carbs and the fuel screw on the bottom of the carb near the intake boot. I had the bottom screw 1.5 turns out such as the previous screws were set and the screw on he side 1.25 turn as per the manual directions. It runs far too rich , all plugs are black. Can anyone tell me the proper procedure? Also any easy way to get to that bottom screw with the carbs mounted on the bike? Is there any tool tat makes this easier?

Thanks

Jerry Gooren USA

Carbtune motorcycle carburetor synchronizers;polycarbonate tool pouchs;for motorcyclists

Comment

Click HERE to see the tool you need.

Adjustment will depend on whether you have stock airbox and/or exhaust. You made no mention of these items, so I will presume STOCK. The fuel screws (the ones on the bottom) should be set about 7/8 turn out from lightly-seated. The air screws (the ones on the sides) will start about double that, or 1 3/4 turns out. When the bike is warmed up and not running on "choke", adjust the air screws for best/fastest idle and good throttle response. If you do have pods or a pipe, the fuel screws will need to go out a bit further, but details will depend on what you have.

The carbs should be synchronized before adjusting mixtures, just to ensure that there is actually air flowing through the throat. The Carbtune that 78550GS provided a link for is our favorite tool for doing that.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
      X