GS1100ET Restoration and Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100ET Restoration and Update

Just getting started on a restoration and updating of a recently acquired 1980 GS1100E which has been out of action for more than 10 years. Not sure how deep to dive into the project, but ultimately, I'll probably not be satisfied without doing a detailed tear down and rebuild.

To get it running, I removed and cleaned the tank, replaced the petcock, cleaned and rebuilt the carburetors, cleaned the sludge from the oil pan, replaced filters and plugs, and installed a new battery. With minor effort, it started and ran well. #4 cylinder was a little wonky, throwing the occasional blue flame.

Looking forward to this winter project.

Mike
    Attached Files

GS1100ET Restoration and Update - Tank pics

Tank pictures - cleaned and reassembled.
    Attached Files

Comment

GS1100ET Restoration and Update - Carb pics

Carb pictures - disassembly, cleaning, jet/seal/gasket replacement, reassembly.
      Attached Files

Comment

GS1100ET Restoration and Update - Future state

Until I change my mind (again), this is what the future state looks like.
        Attached Files

Comment

I like the look of your photo set-up.
          Don't bother explaining it to me...it will be over my head.
          That stock paint on the tank looks too nice to paint or is it just a good ten-footer?
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
            I like the look of your photo set-up.
            Don't bother explaining it to me...it will be over my head.
            That stock paint on the tank looks too nice to paint or is it just a good ten-footer?

Pictures were just combined in MS Paint since I was limited to one picture per post.

Paint is great in some areas, but generally appears better than it is. Sun faded on top and crusty, rusty under the opposing tank emblem.

Thanks for looking.

Comment

It a;ready looks better than one of my running GS1100E's. You are off to a FANTASTIC start my friend.
              If you are going to paint it anyway, perhaps you would be willing to trade that tail piece for the one off of mine if yours is in better condition?

Comment

Working...
              X