No announcement yet.

No more racing for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a couple months a trip to the strip will be part of your post-surgery therapy.
    Good luck and positive thoughts sent your way.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Don't sell those bikes quite yet... I had triple bypass surgery in 2010, 90%-95% blockage of 3 arteries.

Today I am in the process of refreshing my 1981 GS1100EX, she is on a Harbor Freight stand in the garage.

It will take quite a while to recover, but you will be joining a club that finds themselves with abundant energy and a new found appreciation for life in general.

Comment

We are with you for the long run...When you are recuperating,and are up to it, send us some news. We will be here.
        Curt
        sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Originally posted by bellucci View Post
          We are with you for the long run...When you are recuperating,and are up to it, send us some news. We will be here.
          Curt
          Thanks Curt,
          I went and met my surgeon today. He moved the meeting up from Dec 5th to today because after looking at my records he does not want to wait. He said they don't need to do a valve replacement but they are going to do a 5 way bypass in two weeks. He said I should feel like a new man and be able to race by the begainning of the race season in April and I should only be out of work for six weeks but he does not want me working before the surgery because of the risk of a heart attack and if I have a heart attack before the surgery I could damage my heart more which would increase my recovery time and my chances of things going bad. About 3% of people don't make it through the surgery. I was hoping for better odds. Anyway I feel a little better about this after talking with him. He said this is a permanent fix not just a patch like stents are. When he is done my stents will be gone but I will have stainless steel wire in my chest holding my rib cage together that they don't take out so in will set off metal detectors off at the air ports. Now I have 2 weeks of boredom before the surgery. Naa I have plenty of work to do in my garage that I can do sitting down. I will be sitting at my port bench. That will keep me busy.
          My stable
          84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
          85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
          88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
          98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
          90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
          06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
          00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

I don't think the SS will set off metal detectors at the air ports. I have over 3 lbs of SS in both of my hips and never have set off a metal detector anywhere. Even the wand won't pick them up. My Dr. said something about tissue covering the SS prevents it, don't really recall. Though I do have a card with an xray on it showing my condition if the need ever arises.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
              I don't think the SS will set off metal detectors at the air ports. I have over 3 lbs of SS in both of my hips and never have set off a metal detector anywhere. Even the wand won't pick them up. My Dr. said something about tissue covering the SS prevents it, don't really recall. Though I do have a card with an xray on it showing my condition if the need ever arises.
              So that means that they are only looking for steel and not using metal detectors because a true metal detector will detect all metals. Stainless steel is non magnetic so maybe that has something to do with it. But it does not make sense to me wrap a stainless steel gun around some pig skin and and it won't pick it up. Shhh don't tell any terrorist.
              My stable
              06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph

Comment

i have stainless hardware from a tib/fib fracture..airport security never said anything to me.
                i thought they would but they never did.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                  i have stainless hardware from a tib/fib fracture..airport security never said anything to me.
                  i thought they would but they never did.
                  I believe you guys. It is a scary though that stainless does not show up on on airport detectors. I have only flown once in the last 35 years so it's not something for me to worry about but for people that fly all the time. Makes me wonder if a all stainless steel gun would set it off.
                  My stable
                  06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph

Comment

Not to worry! Your surgeon is scaring you enough...And 97% seems like pretty good odds.
                    Curt
                    sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Good luck and best wishes stetracer. Just one tip. Take one of those travel wallets that hang around your neck with you. Those hospital gowns don't have pockets and it's easier to wheel around with one hand pushing your "tree of life" without hanging on to your wallet with the other when you feel well enough to bust out of your room. Handy for getting real food from the cafeteria or stuff from the gift shop.
                      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                      1983 GS 750

Comment

[QUOTEBccap;2124877]Good luck and best wishes stetracer. Just one tip. Take one of those travel wallets that hang around your neck with you. Those hospital gowns don't have pockets and it's easier to wheel around with one hand pushing your "tree of life" without hanging on to your wallet with the other when you feel well enough to bust out of your room. Handy for getting real food from the cafeteria or stuff from the gift shop.[/QUOTE]
                        When my dad was going thru chemo and all of its pain, he referred to the "tree of life" as hounddog, `cause it followed him everywhere.
                        Stet, we're pulling for you. As far as the percentage......I would never cancel a ride on a 3% chance of rain......
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

What's this "tree of life"? Hanging IV (morphine) drip? I never leave home without one!

Best of luck. You'll be racing before you know it.
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            What's this "tree of life"? Hanging IV (morphine) drip? I never leave home without one!

Best of luck. You'll be racing before you know it.
                            I dont do pain meds so it's gonna hurt good thing I have a high tolerance for pain.
                            My stable
                            06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph

Comment

Stet, we're pulling for you. As far as the percentage......I would never cancel a ride on a 3% chance of rain......[/QUOTE]

no not even thinking of canceling because I will a dead man if I don't get it done. The way I am having chest pains I be lucky if I last until the surgery. I have been in bed all day today. I wish I could get stuf done I am so board but I have no energy at all I feel like I getting worse every day.
                              Last edited by stetracer; 11-01-2014, 11:00 PM.
                              My stable
                              06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph

Comment

jd your a trooper strong in mind and in heart take it easy and you will make it bud if u want to talk call me

Comment

Working...
                                X