Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand Control wiring struggles

Hey guys,

I recently bought a left hand control from Dime City to replace my stock one for a 79 GS1000.

I've been spending a lot of time working on this but just can't get everything working properly. I can't get the right turn signal or headlight to work. This is the wiring I've done.

New Control Function Color from old harness

Yellow -------------------------------Hi Beam --------------------------------Yellow
    Black -------------------------------Horn Ground ----------------------------Black/White
    Brown ---------------------------Left Turn Signal ----------------------------Black
    Green -------------------------------Low Beam -------------------------------White
    Brown/White ----------------------T/S Main Wire ---------------------------Light Blue
    Red ----------------------------------M/L Main Wire ------------------------- NOT CONNECTED
    Blue -------------------------------Parking Light -----------------------------NOT CONNECTED
    Pink ---------------------------------Horn Main ------------------------------Green
    Dark Green ---------------------Right Turn Signal --------------------------Light Green

If anyone could help me figure this out that would be awesome

According to their wiring diagram, you have the high beam and low beam swapped.

The red wire needs to be connected to your headlight feed, which, at one point, is orange/red. Depending on where you tap into it, it might have changed to yellow or gray.

Not sure why your turn signal is not working.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks, I'll try switching the headlight wires and see if I can get the turn signal figured out. Out of curiosity what does M/L and T/S stand for?

Comment

Just considering the headlight for now:

New Control Function Color from old harness

Yellow -------------------------------Hi Beam --- LOW ----------------------Yellow CHECK
        Black -------------------------------Horn Ground ----------------------------
        Brown ---------------------------Left Turn Signal ----------------------------
        Green -------------------------------Low Beam--- HIGH ---------------------White CHECK
        Brown/White ----------------------T/S Main Wire ---------------------------
        Red ----------------M/L Main Wire ---- HIGH/LOW MAIN------------------- NOT CONNECTED. THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM. Needs to be the power from headlight fuse. Yel/Wht, I think.
        Blue -------------------------------Parking Light -----------------------------
        Pink ---------------------------------Horn Main ------------------------------
        Dark Green ---------------------Right Turn Signal --------------------------

I will need to consult appropriate schematic to help with the others.

I can tell you for the horn, the horn button needs to connect the horn wire (grn) to the ground wire (blk/wht). SO you got that right.

Last edited by Redman; 10-21-2014, 12:55 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by nathanmaus View Post
          T............ Out of curiosity what does M/L and T/S stand for?
          M/L is your typo.
          Is H/L for HI / Low headlight beam.

T/S is turn signal.

Last edited by Redman; 10-21-2014, 01:05 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I am not that familiar with pre 1980 t/signals.

Did your original control t/signal swtich have only Left-Center-Right....? (which is what your new switch seems to have)

Or did your original have Left Momentaray spring retrurned - Left Maintained - center - RIght maintained - Right Momentary Spring return ? and push in to cancel?

Comment

Ok that makes sense, it must be a typo on my box then cause it definitely says M/L. My original controls had Left - Center - Right. The new controls have Left Momentary Spring Return - Center - Right Momentary Spring Return, Push to cancel.

Comment

Ok that makes sense, it must be a typo on my box then cause it definitely says M/L.
                Take a look at the picture I posted in post #2. It came off their website, actually, it was the link that you posted.

My original controls had Left - Center - Right. The new controls have Left Momentary Spring Return - Center - Right Momentary Spring Return, Push to cancel.
                Is your bike a 1000E or just the base 1000?

If it is the base model, that switch will likely not work.

The E model had self-cancelling signals, but it was the first-generation model, and I don't know how that one functions, so could not be sure if that switch will work or not. I do think that switch would probably work with the second-generation cancelling system that came out on the '80 models.

EDIT: Looking at the wiring list again, I see nothing for "Turn Signal Cancel". That leads me to think that the latching in each direction might be mechanical in the switch, itself. In that case, it should probably work on the base model, but maybe not with the E.

Last edited by Steve; 10-21-2014, 11:21 PM.
                sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks guys. Hopefully today is a better day and I can try and work on it again. My wiring diagram looks a little different than the one posted online. I have the base model 1000. I had both turn signals working at one time but when the right one was on the headlight flashed as well. and the push button cancel works with my model. I'll let you know tonight if I get it working.

Comment

I got it working! Thanks guys. It happened to be that I blew a fuse for the headlight so no matter what wire I tried it with it didn't work. And for the right turn signal there was a bad connection on the actual signal. So I came to the conclusion that I messed with the harness for an extra 2-3 hours because I didn't check these two things.

Comment

Good.

Congrats.

Thanks for update. (I was about to hunt up a schematic for 79 GS1000.)

Comment

Working...
                      X