Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning on a Big purchase Bking or Vmax?... or Other options.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning on a Big purchase Bking or Vmax?... or Other options.

Howdy guys
    So I'm currently saving up for a new(er) machine and since I was 2" on pulling the trigger on the FZ-09 and backed out after all the reviews were less then stellar I've decided to save the other half of the down payment and buy my next machine mid winter with cash or little left to finance. I looked at the new machines coming out, GSX-S750 and the FZ-09 were big on the list but decided if I'm going to spend $7-$10K on a machine I might as well get something I've always wanted.... Something that is crazy powerful and somewhat rare. Right now my sights are on a B-king, Powered by the very common GSX-13000R "hayabusa" motor, so aftermarket support is huge and the field has proven the big block I-4 is stone cold reliable. The Vmax is on the edge for the 1700cc motor is just awesome. The look is rediculous and I love it! The only thing that turns me off about it is; it's a pig, fat and hungry for fuel. Although the weight and stance would make it a great weekend bike.
    I'm not looking for my daily distance runner/ tourer for I have my FZ1 for that. I'm looking for a bike that is well rounded but is heavy hitting and would classify in the hyper class (low 10's in the 1/4). I've run liters for awhile and I'm ready for the next big thing.
    So any insight would be is greatly appreciated. Previous owners please send your input and review! I'm also open to any other bike options or ideas. But basically the rule of tumb will be; it's a standard UJM at it's core with, upright ridding position with over 160hp and it's gotta benaked.
    Thanks.
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

for 160hp the b-king is your only choice....

Comment

I would look at a speed triple as they are a hoot. Maybe a used k 1200-1300R the triumph with a pipe sounds awesome and has plenty of everyday snap. Better yet buy my 14R it's for sale cheap with 2500km.

Comment

Not a fan of the new V Max. The new one has nothing on the hotrod look of the original.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

The ZX14 hasn't escaped my brain completely. But the clip on handle bars and crouched seating position is not what I'm really looking for... Honestly if I did consider a bike like that I would likely settle for a Hayabusa first.
          Speed triple is a cool bike but I'm going after linear power and overall comfort in that first department the FZ-09 apparently walks over the triple. The only thing that tore me off the FZ-09 was the apparent rubbish for suspension stock. So bad that even most say the bike needs a $2K to become decent for twisty ridding. Clearly Yamaha's R&D went only in the new triple power plant and they just used left over FZ8 bits to make it work... Also to add that I already have my FZ1 with a fresh 05 motor that has been upgraded... It has plenty of enough snap and high speed cruising for every day use, I can spend an hour in the shop and with the proper gear change and touring shed, I can say their isn't much on the road that can keep up... Guess what I'm saying is my new bike has to be faster then my Fizzy setup up for hooligan ridding days.
          I'm still reading reviews on the Max and I'm thinking about crossing it off on the list. I see that Yamaha is still trying to sell off some 2013's at some dealerships and the average rating is 2.5-3.5 stars on most sites. The B-king scores 3.5 -4.5... Just looks like the Suzuki is the better all round bike.
          K 1200- or K1300 will be my next investigation.
          Thanks.
          -J
          Last edited by Jedz123; 10-24-2014, 04:25 AM.
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Get the one that boils your blood. Nothing else matters. I would take the V-Max, tho the early ones were far better looking to me.

Comment

One other factor is that I bet you can score a B-King crazy stupid cheap compared to a V-Max. You might have to fly-n-ride -- they're not that common.

Personally, I kinda like the robot headlight/Transformers look of the B-King, and it's a far better all-around bike by all accounts. Mechanically a good bit simpler, too.

But both bikes are completely ridiculous. Get the one that blows yer dress up the most.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Easy answer Suzuki bKing then remove headlight replace with train light.
                Last edited by akckhim; 10-24-2014, 12:34 PM.
                sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
                1994 gsxr1100w
                1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

I've been keeping my eye on the B-Kings. Prices are starting to drop from $8K-$9K to sub $7K due to the season coming to the end... I remember last winter I found one for $5.5K mid February. You can start to find a V-Max for under $10K and like I stated before, plentiful due to them sitting on the show room floor for too long. The 23mpg of the Max just seems horrid. Less then 100 mile range on its tank, just not practical plus I'd think I 'd go through a couple rear tires at least in a season... However I have ridden a Vmax on a demo they had a couple years back. The demo guys weren't impressed when I lit the tire up when I may have lagged a bit behind to see how it accelerated in 2nd... LOL Nuts but the bike had a hard time locking up. It WAS ALLOT OF FUN.
                  Dollar for Dollar and pound for pound the B-king seems to be the better deal and the easier bike to fix if issues did happen to arise. The aftermarket support of the haysbusa means abundance in customization and power upgrades, cheaper in maintenance and repair. Just curious if anyone has owned or ridden one.
                  True the B-king's are not as common however I have found handfuls in NJ, MD and the greater Boston areas almost all have 10K miles or less on the odometers.
                  Cycle trader and CL have been my primary means of finding bikes.
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by akckhim View Post
                    Easy answer Suzuki bKing then remove headlight replace with train light.
                    LOL I was thinking that same thing!
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

The B-King is an awesome bike, and highly underrated. I had a black 08 model and couldn't find any faults with the machine except for the lack of wind protection at 250+kph! Of course, I'd just come off of two Hayabusas and they have spectacular fairings for this sort of thing.

Anyway...

Once you toss the ugly plastic exhaust shrouds and 30lb exhaust box, the bike's appearance greatly improves. I had the Yoshimura cans and fender eliminator on mine and in my eyes, it was a beautiful thing. You'll never see another one on your favourite riding roads, that's for sure!

Handling is really good considering the bulk of the King and the brakes were way better than the six piston ones on my Gen1 'Busas.

I think that Suzuki would have a hit in the B-King had they introduced it a few years later when naked bikes took off in popularity. The new KTM 1290 Superduke is praised for it's outright power but even it is a few hp and ft.lbs. short of the mighty King.

Buy one, and don't let it go... like I did.

PS: The VMax is an overweight, ill-handling and overpriced turd for poseurs.
                      Last edited by Hayabuser; 10-24-2014, 11:43 PM.
                      2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                      2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

If a V Max is overpriced, so is every other big rod out there. And poseurs haven't got the balls to hit it. Have you forgotten your history? Mighty Max kicked pretty much every power cruiser out of production. It handles well enough for what it's purpose is, according to the professionals who ride for a living. It certainly isn't ugly stacked up against all those naked bikes, and that includes the B king. They're all out there trying to copy that plumbing nightmare look of Ducati.

Comment

The original V-Max is a legend, the follow up Vmax is a mess.
                          2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
                            If a V Max is overpriced, so is every other big rod out there. And poseurs haven't got the balls to hit it. Have you forgotten your history? Mighty Max kicked pretty much every power cruiser out of production. It handles well enough for what it's purpose is, according to the professionals who ride for a living. It certainly isn't ugly stacked up against all those naked bikes, and that includes the B king. They're all out there trying to copy that plumbing nightmare look of Ducati.
                            A Classic 1200CC Vmax will eventually be folded into the heard but what I'm looking for is a modern/newer, FUEL INJECTED(my 2010 GSX650F has spoiled me to this new concept...) "hyper" Standard bike that I can cruise on all day, get good gas mileage, out run any 1000cc bike if I ever decided to got the track with it and be affordable/reliable to put 5-10k miles on in it a year. The Max I'm looking at specifically is a Gen 2... not the Gen 1

Thanks Hyabuser, I wanted an opinion from someone that's owned one of these lunatic bikes and could put in some logistical real world advise. I would be keeping my next bike for a great while. And 7-10 grand isn't something to just spit at ( for me at least) so I want to be sure before I invest.

...P.S. I love the look of your old B-king. Too bad you don't have it anymore.

Thanks!
                            Last edited by Jedz123; 10-25-2014, 03:53 AM.
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                              A Classic 1200CC Vmax will eventually be folded into the heard but what I'm looking for is a modern/newer, FUEL INJECTED(my 2010 GSX650F has spoiled me to this new concept...) "hyper" Standard bike that I can cruise on all day, get good gas mileage, out run any 1000cc bike if I ever decided to got the track with it and be affordable/reliable to put 5-10k miles on in it a year. The Max I'm looking at specifically is a Gen 2... not the Gen 1

Thanks Hyabuser, I wanted an opinion from someone that's owned one of these lunatic bikes and could put in some logistical real world advise. I would be keeping my next bike for a great while. And 7-10 grand isn't something to just spit at ( for me at least) so I want to be sure before I invest.

...P.S. I love the look of your old B-king. Too bad you don't have it anymore.

Thanks!
                              Good B-Kings should be considerably cheaper than $7-8000... mine went for $5500 Canadian this spring, and I was lucky to get that since buyers weren't exactly lining up for it.
                              2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X