LED headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED headlight

How involved/expensive is it to convert to an LED headlight?

I want my bike (1982 1100e) to maintain it's stock appearance.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Involved? Open up the headlight bucket, remove a few retaining screws, remove your stock light.
    Put the LED light in its place, replace the retaining screws, re-asemble headlight bucket. Ride.

That is, unless you have the 8" "train" light.

Expensive? Look on eBay or Amazon, I think the round ones are about $175 right now.

Last edited by Steve; 10-25-2014, 02:45 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I tried with changing just the bulb with one I found on ebay and it was a miserable failure, then inspired by someone on here I found a "Truck light" and its pretty good I reckon, I forget the cost but it wasn't cheap.
      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Involved? Open up the headlight bucket, remove a few retaining screws, remove your stock light.
        Put the LED light in its place, replace the retaining screws, re-asemble headlight bucket. Ride.

That is, unless you have the 8" "train" light.

Expensive? Look on eBay or Amazon, I think the round ones are about $175 right now.

Pretty sure he posted it was an 82 1100E. Guess he's screwed.

Comment

I have no idea how many others here have fitted LED headlights, but Dogma introduced me to the idea with his. I have since fitted both of our "L" bikes with 7" buckets and the older Phase 6 Truck-Lite headlamps. I will be getting a Phase 7 rectangular light for my 850 by the time I get it back on the road. Won't be much longer now.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Just have the mechanic tape over the gap with aluminum tape when he installs it.

Comment

ADVmonster.com is selling a VERY nice LED H4 replacement bulb. There's no fragile moving parts (fan or high/low servo) as in some other designs. The heat sink does stick out a little more in the back, so it's unknown whether it'll fit in a GS headlight bucket. They give dimensions on their site.

Out of stock at the moment -- should have more any time:

I plan to buy one and try it out on my GS850, and on my KLR650 (wearing an '82 GS650GL headlight bucket). It'll probably end up in my V-Strom.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

How soon you going to get it, Brian?

If it's soon, I will wait for your report and possibly save about $140.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by amxsteve View Post
                  Pretty sure he posted it was an 82 1100E. Guess he's screwed.
                  Yes, he did post that, I just wasn't sure if they appeared on the '82 or not.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    ADVmonster.com is selling a VERY nice LED H4 replacement bulb. There's no fragile moving parts (fan or high/low servo) as in some other designs. The heat sink does stick out a little more in the back, so it's unknown whether it'll fit in a GS headlight bucket. They give dimensions on their site.

Out of stock at the moment -- should have more any time:

I plan to buy one and try it out on my GS850, and on my KLR650 (wearing an '82 GS650GL headlight bucket). It'll probably end up in my V-Strom.
                    Take those lumens claims with a huge pinch of salt.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                      Take those lumens claims with a huge pinch of salt.
                      Of course. Lumens, schlumens.

But ADVmonster is a well-known vendor -- they are very active over on the ADVrider.com forum, and believe me, if there was one particle of a problem with these things or with the vendor, the inmates over there would be howling for blood. These guys are very tough on their bikes, and they're brutal if a product doesn't exceed expectations. There are over 400 posts and no dogpile has started yet, so it's a very solid product.

So far, the reports are absolutely glowing. As noted, there's a heat sink on the back of the unit that sticks out a little more than a stock H4 bulb, so they don't physically fit in all bikes, or you may need to modify a boot or retainer. If they fit, they work extremely well.

Here's the thread over on ADVrider -- there are lots of photos showing the lighting pattern, color, and strength in various bikes. It does seem clear that the H4 LED puts out more light than the incandescent, and the ADVmonster unit gets around the design problems that a lot of other LED units have (fragile moving parts like tiny cooling fans or servo-operated shields for high and low beam, questionable quality, poor light pattern, wonky color):
                      Check our website www.advmonster.com for the latest developments in LED headlights. For fitment questions, please contact us.
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        How soon you going to get it, Brian?

If it's soon, I will wait for your report and possibly save about $140.

As soon as they come off backorder. The site says they're backordered until October 24, which was Friday, so hopefully they'll update the site sometime Monday.
                        Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          Of course. Lumens, schlumens.

But ADVmonster is a well-known vendor -- they are very active over on the ADVrider.com forum, and believe me, if there was one particle of a problem with these things or with the vendor, the inmates over there would be howling for blood. These guys are very tough on their bikes, and they're brutal if a product doesn't exceed expectations. There are over 400 posts and no dogpile has started yet, so it's a very solid product.

So far, the reports are absolutely glowing. As noted, there's a heat sink on the back of the unit that sticks out a little more than a stock H4 bulb, so they don't physically fit in all bikes, or you may need to modify a boot or retainer. If they fit, they work extremely well.

Here's the thread over on ADVrider -- there are lots of photos showing the lighting pattern, color, and strength in various bikes. It does seem clear that the H4 LED puts out more light than the incandescent, and the ADVmonster unit gets around the design problems that a lot of other LED units have (fragile moving parts like tiny cooling fans or servo-operated shields for high and low beam, questionable quality, poor light pattern, wonky color):
                          http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=976505
                          Yeah, well; reading that thread it seems most/all are happy with them. I'm still unclear as to what elements are 'changed' from High - Low because the filament positioning on an H4 spec design is pretty important and is usually why crappy aftermarket HID and LED inserts totally fail to do what they're supposed to. Ie, they'll shove plenty of light on the road, but blind the crap out of oncoming drivers, even on Low.
                          I'll wait and see - it would appear that some folk are getting a good cut-off on Low, but reflectors and lenses differ and over the past 30/40 years there have been many that were better than others; even when the specs were universally known and supposed to be adhered to, some makers just got it wrong.
                          If this one pans out successfully in a wide range of lamp units, I will seriously consider it.
                          ---- Dave
                          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Well I am going to wait for Brian's report. If he likes it, I will try it. If, for some reason, I don't agree with Brian's report, I will have one of these available, while I get the Truck-Lite unit.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

I never thought I would be able to get a better light for my H4, these are great tips, thanks.
                              Rob
                              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                              X