LED headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

latest in LED headlights

I'm fed up riding my '79 GS1000 with Harleys that have the Daymaker LED headlights.. And cars have way better lights. Hell, even my friend's 2004 FJR1300 with incandescent headlights (two big ones) has awesome lights compared to my bike. I just never have enough light and always riding at night..

Anyway from everything I've read, the LED H4 Bulbs to install in our 7" buckets do not do a good job. People talk about beam pattern and cut off. And I'm thinking if this was the way then why do all the new bikes have high dollar dedicated LED lights like the day maker?? and now there are many chinese knock offs that may well do the job well..

So what have people done here to improve their lights?? I know my friend spoke of a smart light which lights specific leds within the enclosure depending on the lean of the bike. If I could get one of thos lights I could preobably implement an arduino dediocated processor to detect tilt and control the light.. But for now, I would be happy withj a good bolt in..
    1979 gs1000e (everyday) 1977 gs750 for sale
    1983 yam xj550 maxim streetbob sold
    1995 gsx750F everyday fighterjet 1990 gsx1100F for sale
    2000kaw zx600
    2003 BMW K1200GT sport tour
    2000Buel Cyclone M2 motorwork
    1984 Yam venture xvz1200 -long ride/cold ride ride gf ride..
    1978 Honda cb750F3 supersport top end (still)
    1976 Harley FL 3/8" S&S stroker - motor out way too long
    1980 Harley fxs80 - wacked good on this one

Comment

smart headlight

this!!! I want this and I want it now.
      Smart light.
      https://www.jwspeaker.com/blog/new-led-motorcycle-headlight-adapative/
      2000kaw zx600

Comment

There are many threads on here about the Truck-lite and more than a few of us who have changed to it. Great headlight. I used to hate riding at night until the first time out after installing mine.
        sigpic
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
          Side note: What ever happened to Rob S.?
          Still here, with my 8" "train".

Don't do much night riding, though. Maybe I should take off these sunglasses...
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by garyS-NJ View Post
            this!!! I want this and I want it now.
            Smart light.
            https://www.jwspeaker.com/blog/new-led-motorcycle-headlight-adapative/
            For that amount of money, you could just about get a TruckLite for each of your bikes.

OK, not quite, but that is a LOT of money for a headlight.

I thought a TruckLite was a bit of money until I installed one in my wife's bike and saw the difference. That was the older generation light, and was not made for the rectangular version in my bike. I got the newer version for my bike and saw it was even better than my wife's, so I got newer lights for her bike and my son's bike. All three of them together would still leave enough change to pay for a full day of fuel and meals for all three riders.

Your 1000 already has a 7" bucket (uless it's an L), so the TruckLite would be pretty much "plug and play", but I would highly recommend changing your charging system by installing an SH775 R/R.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks all for your responses. Can someone post a link for the new Trucklite LED for my 7" round headlight (actual bulb diameter 6.75" ). Is it the 7" round bulb we purchase for our buckets?? Oh, and I know I'm gonna get killed for bringing this up during our trade war but has anyone tried this $122 adaptive LED light?? https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Round-Motorcycle-LED-Hi-Low-Beam-Adaptive-Headlight-For-Harley-Davidson-36V/283546048706
              2000kaw zx600

Comment

Gary, I'm glad you brought this thread back around. I'm interested in the Truck Lite as well, but not sure about which one to get. Seems to be 2 models that might work:
                27270C, non-heated lens
                and
                27275C, heated lens

What does heated lens mean and why would I want one or the other?
                Either has H4 connection available.

Evidently they don't sell direct, site has a dealer locator that shows a bunch near me. I'm trying to educate myself before I go any of them.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Heated is to de ice the lens for snowy driving and should not be an issue for motorcycles unless you ride ice at night
                  2000kaw zx600

Comment

Can someone post a link for the new Trucklite LED for my 7" round headlight (actual bulb diameter 6.75" ).
                    Certainly.
                    Amazon $150.

eBay $150.

... has anyone tried this $122 adaptive LED light?? https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Round-Mot...V/283546048706
                    I don't know of anyone that has tried ANY adaptive light, but that one has all the suspicions of being a Chinese knock-off. Yeah, it ships from several US locations, but the fact that it is less than 1/4 of the cost of the real thing and is "Unbranded" in the description really makes me wonder about its authenticity.

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                    Gary, I'm glad you brought this thread back around. I'm interested in the Truck Lite as well, but not sure about which one to get. Seems to be 2 models that might work:
                    27270C, non-heated lens
                    and
                    27275C, heated lens

What does heated lens mean and why would I want one or the other?
                    Either has H4 connection available.

Evidently they don't sell direct, site has a dealer locator that shows a bunch near me. I'm trying to educate myself before I go any of them.
                    Your choice should be rather simple. How often do you ride in snowy conditions where snow and/or ice might build up on the headlight?

The incandescent bulbs in cars get hot enough to melt the snow and ice, so that is not a problem. The same lights on a bike also prevent snow and ice build-up, but so does the common sense that is usually common in most motorcyclists. The LED lights run considerably cooler and will not melt the snow, so a heated version is available.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thanks Steve. I figured it was something like that. And thanks for the links. I’m thinking my wife might buy me an early Christmas present that she doesn’t have to know about. I do tend to park the bike when it’s snowing/freezing rain but I’ve never been accused of having “common” sense.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

If someone else is going to be buying the light, I will ask you to be absolutely sure that they don't fall for the cheaper Chinese look-alike knock-offs.

It is pretty much like doing a search for an SH775 regulator. If you do a search for "Polaris regulator" or something like that (even including "SH775" in the search criteria), you will get a LOT of results for items that "replaces Polaris #4012941" or "fits Polaris Ranger", but when you look closer, they are unbranded or have some strange name. Same thing with these lights. There are some that are as cheap as $20, but the emphasis is likely on "cheap". I have not seen or tried any of them, but would advise you to "buy once, cry once" and get the real thing.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Yep, understood. I put a genuine SH775 in a little over a year ago with your help, Steve. I have seen these knockoff LED headlights that are very tempting at the $20-$70 range. I will be sure to get the genuine Truck-Lite 27270C when I'm ready.

thanks
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Thanks also Steve for the links on the trucklite 27270C. I'm sure it's a world better then any light I ever used. Would be nice to do a side by side compare to one of the knock offs but to see better for $150 I would spend even if just for reliability.. to be clear tho this light is approximate outline of a standard 6.75" diameter bulb that fits in our light bucket with wires??

Im sure the trucklite is bright and wide beam pwehaos throwing decent light in turns but im so lured by the adaptive light jw speaker video is very persuasive.. But has any one mounted one of these 7" self contained LED headlamps on their GS? The standard light bucket with ring and adjuster accepts a 6.75" diameter bulb and then the bucket has a little room to hide the spagetty ball of wires. These 7" lights wont fit in the adjuster ring and probably not fit in the bucket with wires.. maybe rtv to the bezel and screw that to the bucket and move wires out otherwise need some mounting adapter. The mount rings they sell seem to allow lady right and up down adjustment to mount into a 4 wheeler or perhaps a fairing
                            2000kaw zx600

Comment

There are trucklite knock off options on Amazon. Ive got a trucklite in my GS1000 and like it quite a bit but it did run about 150 dollars or therebouts.

On my Jeep i run a set if the knockoffs and like those more. Better cuttoff and light output granted its 2 vs 1 haha.

Comment

do the 7" round LED lights fit in our bucket and adjuster/trim ring

Yes there are many 7" LED headlights but my question was if they fit in our OEM bucket with adjuster and trim ring the same as a OEM sealed bulb .l.l.

Originally posted by Downs View Post
                                There are trucklite knock off options on Amazon. Ive got a trucklite in my GS1000 and like it quite a bit but it did run about 150 dollars or therebouts.

On my Jeep i run a set if the knockoffs and like those more. Better cuttoff and light output granted its 2 vs 1 haha.
                                2000kaw zx600

Comment

Working...
                                X