No announcement yet.

LED headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gary,I think I read in one of the other LED threads that Steve said it’s a direct replacement with no modifications to the trim ring or bucket but I’d like to make double sure, too, what kind of challenge it might be to secure it properly in the 7” bucket. I’ll try to find that post again if Steve doesn’t chime in first.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Found it. Posted by Steve and I trust him unconditionally.

If I remember correctly, your headlight is not the standard 7" light, but I could be wrong.

If you DO have a 7" light, the conversion is easy, but not necessarily cheap.

Just open up the housing, remove the current light, drop in a Truck-LiteLED Headlight, put it all back together and wonder why you didn't do that sooner.

Not sure how many others have done this particular conversion, but several of us here is southwest oHIo have done it.

If you don't have a 7" headlight already, look for a used bucket and trim ring, along with mounting ears (the offset is different), then swap it all.

Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by garyS-NJ View Post
        ... to be clear tho this light is approximate outline of a standard 6.75" diameter bulb that fits in our light bucket with wires??

The standard light bucket with ring and adjuster accepts a 6.75" diameter bulb and then the bucket has a little room to hide the spagetty ball of wires. These 7" lights wont fit in the adjuster ring and probably not fit in the bucket with wires.
        Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
        I’ll try to find that post again if Steve doesn’t chime in first.
        Chiming in here.

Gary, yes, you are measuring about 6 3/4" across the lens, but there is just a little bit more that is under the retention ring. That brings the overall diamater up to the 7" measurement that is pretty much an industry standard.

The TruckLite WILL fit in the standard bucket. If you have an L or a T, you will need a 7" bucket AND the mounting ears, but for any GS that uses a 7" bulb, it's a drop-in fit.

It's a tedious job. Lots of little screws and adjusters, plan on at least half an hour to do the job, don't be surprised if it takes a full hour.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Chiming in here.

......If you have an L or a T, you will need a 7" bucket AND the mounting ears, but for any GS that uses a 7" bulb, it's a drop-in fit.

It's a tedious job. Lots of little screws and adjusters, plan on at least half an hour to do the job, don't be surprised if it takes a full hour.

ok Steve. I have a “T”’. My headlight is 7” best I can tell. Are you saying I will need to get a different bucket and mounting ears?

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 09-17-2019, 06:48 AM.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

OK, probably not. I have seen some of the Ts that have smaller headlights like the Ls.

Yours will be "plug and play".

If you think you might need some help, come on over. It's only 450 miles to my place.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

T's and L's

I thought we were all talking about Suzuki GS bikes... haha, but I did think thety all had the standard light as compared to the 5&3/4 light.. Anyway, thanks all and I'm ordering the light .. but not the good trucklight. I'm gonna try the Chinese knock off adaptive light.. I might do a side by side test next to a truck light.

OK, probably not. I have seen some of the Ts that have smaller headlights like the Ls.

Yours will be "plug and play".

If you think you might need some help, come on over. It's only 450 miles to my place.

1979 gs1000e (everyday) 1977 gs750 for sale
              1983 yam xj550 maxim streetbob sold
              1995 gsx750F everyday fighterjet 1990 gsx1100F for sale
              2000kaw zx600
              2003 BMW K1200GT sport tour
              2000Buel Cyclone M2 motorwork
              1984 Yam venture xvz1200 -long ride/cold ride ride gf ride..
              1978 Honda cb750F3 supersport top end (still)
              1976 Harley FL 3/8" S&S stroker - motor out way too long
              1980 Harley fxs80 - wacked good on this one

Comment

Yes there are many 7" LED headlights but my question was if they fit in our OEM bucket with adjuster and trim ring the same as a OEM sealed bulb .l.l.
                My truck lite did. You get a little of the housing sticking out of the trim ring. But its not unsightly and everything works the same.

Comment

Got the Truck-lite from Amazon. Uninstall/install only took about 1/2 hour and I took my time. It did, indeed, bolt right up. No modification needed. First impression on a short ride tonight was, well, impressive. Pattern is kind of strange and there are some weird dark spots right out in front but overall, though, I don't know why I've waited so long to do this. I will now have much more confidence riding at night, especially on the dark, rural roads in my area. I thought I'd share some before and after shots. I was very careful to use the same exposure settings for every shot.

OEM-inside-low beam

OEM-inside-hi beam

OEM-outside-low beam

OEM-outside-hi beam

LED-inside-lo beam

LED-inside-hi beam

LED-outside-low beam

LED-outside-hi beam
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Got the Truck-lite from Amazon. I don't know why I've waited so long to do this.
                    Would you believe that you are not the first to say this?

Would you say that it is worth the price?

Thanks for the follow-up and pictures.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Definitely worth $150. Steve, once again, thank your for your patient guidance.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

... I'm ordering the light .. but not the good trucklight. I'm gonna try the Chinese knock off adaptive light..
                        By "adaptive", you mean the one that lights up more elements in the turns?

If so, I am looking forward to a report.

Even if you are getting the Chinse knock-off version of the TruckLite, I would be interested in a report on that, too.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Got the Truck-lite from Amazon. Uninstall/install only took about 1/2 hour and I took my time. It did, indeed, bolt right up. No modification needed. First impression on a short ride tonight was, well, impressive. Pattern is kind of strange and there are some weird dark spots right out in front but overall, though, I don't know why I've waited so long to do this. I will now have much more confidence riding at night, especially on the dark, rural roads in my area. I thought I'd share some before and after shots. I was very careful to use the same exposure settings for every shot.

OEM-inside-low beam

OEM-inside-hi beam

OEM-outside-low beam

OEM-outside-hi beam

LED-inside-lo beam

LED-inside-hi beam

LED-outside-low beam

LED-outside-hi beam

SO MUCH BETTER -- I AM doing MY bike soon !

Steve -- ? Did you read that ?
                          Currently in the Stable :
                          2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                          1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                          - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post

Steve -- ? Did you read that ?
                            Yes, I did.

You gonna do it before the snow flies, or is it already too late for that?

It was 48° here this morning, but about 50 miles north, it was 37°.

You are a bit farther north than that, how's the weather?

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Yes, I did.

You gonna do it before the snow flies, or is it already too late for that?

It was 48° here this morning, but about 50 miles north, it was 37°.

You are a bit farther north than that, how's the weather?

Today ---
                              34 degrees in the early AM - 68 mid-afternoon
                              Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday call for similar temps and conditions -
                              Friday the bottom drops out and snow flurries are forecasted overnight into Saturday --
                              The season is very short now for the 850 -
                              The Wing has better wind protection and a great alternator for my electric jacket liner and gloves -
                              So it extends my riding season into late-November...

I need to measure my headlight size I think ...
                              Currently in the Stable :
                              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                                I need to measure my headlight size I think ...
                                Keep your tape measure in your toolbox, look for a box in the mail in a few days.

sigpic
                                Family Portrait
                                Siblings and Spouses
                                Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                                X