mustering the confidence to do my valve adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    If it is your only motorcycle, especially if it's your first, enthusiasm can definitely decline over time, as you work, work, work, and never get to ride.

That is one reason we advocate getting the bike running (safely) before doing any modifications. I note that in your signature you have your bike "stock (for now)".
    Get it running first, then do any modifications you want. By the way, what mods are you planning?

Running is top of the list, safe is part of that step. I already have the windshield like I wanted and hard panniers, so the engine is all I am aiming for to get it on the road this year.
    It't tough enough to do the minimal in an apartment kitchen

I wouldn't even call my plans "mods" so much as maintenance. Just going with a 90/10 dual sport tires and top end job/engine paint. That's what I need done now, as for color I wanted to experiment with Plasti Dip once I'm riding and can take a weekend to do it. Probably in the summer once I'm settled in again.

I don't want to change anything drastically, just an LED headlight and extra lights to be seen with.

Comment

Dual sport tires? On an 850?? We might have an issue with gonads on steroids here.

The 850 was the heaviest GS to leave the factory, except for the 1100GK, with its fairing, saddlebags and trunk.
      You mentioned windshield and hard panniers, so you are headed even farther in the wrong direction. Good luck with that experiment.

LED headlight? Don't waste any money on LED conversion 'bulbs', just get the real thing: Truck Lite 27270C.
      While some have had modest success with conversions, I speak from experience with the Truck Lite. I have one in my 850, will be getting two more for my wife's 850L and my son's 1000G. The light is FANTASTIC.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Dual sport tires? On an 850?? We might have an issue with gonads on steroids here.

The 850 was the heaviest GS to leave the factory, except for the 1100GK, with its fairing, saddlebags and trunk.
        You mentioned windshield and hard panniers, so you are headed even farther in the wrong direction. Good luck with that experiment.

LED headlight? Don't waste any money on LED conversion 'bulbs', just get the real thing: Truck Lite 27270C.
        While some have had modest success with conversions, I speak from experience with the Truck Lite. I have one in my 850, will be getting two more for my wife's 850L and my son's 1000G. The light is FANTASTIC.

I had a rear dual sport tire last year that did great on trails and gravel roads. The atv trails here are old tracks so gravel with some peaks and ruts just adds zest to the ride 😂

I was going with an assembly like that, probably a cree branded 7".

Comment

Working...
        X