Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 78550GS View Post
    Define "laying around" Lmao

Sorry for yet another derailment from the original topic. It seems to be too easy to pick these things out today.
    LOL I just re read what I typed. It has been a long time ago but it was a plastic stick looking thing found in the trash pile out in the shop. If I run across it I will take a picture. It really did make the job easier (if you have the header off anyway).
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

Comment

Can't imagine why anyone would want to take the exhaust off just to do a valve adjustment, but glad it worked out for you, since you had it off anyway.

Curious if you slid it past the edge of the valve, pretty much like we do with the zip-tie, but from the other direction.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So who's going to be first to send the plastic thing through the carbs?
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

It si not that hard, I did it so trust me. Get the valve shim tool, have to. Be patient, get good measurements for your clearences. Join the shim club here. I paid for my first set and have to send my old ones in. It is not hard at all. My bike is a GS 1000 L.

Comment

Subscribed. Just re-checked all the clearances on my 16V motor last week, piece of cake on the 16V, like has been said, they are easier, just have twice as many valves to adjust. I made a few slight adjustments after riding it nearly 4K miles since I adjusted them in the late spring.

Need to do this on my 8 valve bikes once I get them back together. Will be emailing Steve for his spreadsheet at that time…

Also, I was able to re-use my valve cover gasket both times without leaks on the 16V head, sounds like this might not be as possible on the 8V head?
            ----------------------------------------------------------------
            2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

The factory shim tool works effortlessly with the factory cams.

Comment

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
                Need to do this on my 8 valve bikes once I get them back together. Will be emailing Steve for his spreadsheet at that time.
                No need to wait.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

i think i can do this. gotta learn somehow, right?

i'll take some photos and start another thread when i do it. excited to dig into steve's elaborate spreadsheet!

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
                    i'll take some photos and start another thread when i do it. excited to dig into steve's elaborate spreadsheet!
                    I'm sure it's been done, say, 5 or 6 times before
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yes, it has. If it bothers you then don't read the thread.

Comment

i think i can do this. gotta learn somehow, right?

Awesome ! Be sure to load the pictures when you've finished.
                        We all can learn from this - more information is good information and I am a visual learner.
                        You can do it !
                        Currently in the Stable :
                        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                          I'm sure it's been done, say, 5 or 6 times before
                          Which are you thinking has been done a few times, the photos and thread or the digging into the spreadsheet?

Yeah a couple of us have done a valve adjustment a time or three, and I have sent out 886 copies of the spreadsheet, so far.

If I remember correctly (and that is happening far less, nowadays), it has gone to 47 of the 50 (or so) States, as well as 16 other countries.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Can this be done during winter? It's right around freezing here these days....should I wait until spring? I have the tank off and in a warm, dry place. Wanted to tackle valve adjustment with new gaskets, new spark plug wires, coils check, and some other odds and ends while I can't ride.

Comment

I think you can do the adjustments ; however you should also do a new carb synch when finished as well.
                              That would require a warm running bike...
                              I am waiting for Spring to do mine - because I like to be warm .
                              Currently in the Stable :
                              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

[QUOTE=growler;2124034]i've been busy with projects and riding (instead of working on) my bike. it's time to get the valve adjustment done and stick a new valve gasket on. i've never done a valve adjustment before on any bike. i've read the tutorial on bikecliff's site, but still wish i had someone over my shoulder to make sure i don't screw it up. i have all the tools needed, now i just need the confidence to do it! hah!

am i supposed to sync the carbs again once the adjustment is done?

any last minute tips?[/QUOTE

Naw, you don't have to sync the carbs after a valve adjustment, though one thing to think of is when was the last time the carbs were sync if ever? IMO wouldn't hurt.
                                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                                X