Condensation in the oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Condensation in the oil?

I have a 1977 GS750. On cold mornings and days I notice there is what appears to be fogging on the sight glass. The oil doesn't seem milky.

This has me quite a bit worried because I know oil in the water isn't exactly good when you have a water cooled engine, but I don't know the procedures for an air cooled one. I noticed this awhile back, but it went away the next day (it warmed up, and coincedentally I took it for an hour or so long drive).

What should I do; have any of you had any experience with this? I've done some googling, and it looks like this happens occasionally on dirt bikes. Especially when they are only ridden for short stretches. I ride it every day, but only for 15 minute stretches at the most.

I've been opening up the fill cap once it warms up and letting it idle for a bit to try and cook the water out. What else should I do?

Sorry for the disjointed post, I'm trying to fit in all the facts I feel are relevant.

Your bike doesn't have a radiator. There is no where for water to come from. Do you smell gas in your oil? if so your petcock is malfunctioning. When was the last time your oil was changed?
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Oil was changed less than 2 months ago. I changed it because the bike was knocked over by a neighbor backing out of the parking lot.

No gas smell that I've noticed.

I realize it's not water cooled which is why I'm confused about how water could get in the first place. I'm wondering if maybe rain got in through some gasket somewhere (possibly even the fill cap). I am in Florida so it rains a lot, and heavy. I've got a cover, but water still gets under it somehow.

Comment

Condensation gets in there when you take it on short runs. Take it for a long ride and it will all be gone. The oil needs to get hot enough to make the condensation go away.

Comment

That's reassuring to hear Ton. Is there any chance of it causing permanent damage if it gets too much moisture build-up?

Comment

Condensation in the engine is not something you really want. A good oil will do what oil is supposed to do. And if oil is diluted too much with water and un burned petrol then you will get more wear on the engine. So take it for a good run and do change the oil and filter on time. I change the oil on mine every year even if the bike was hardly used. But I make sure that the bike gets warm enough so no short runs .

Comment

Short rides on cold, damp days do more than produce condensation in the oil, it's the #1 cause of muffler rot-out. Bikes (or older cars, for that matter) that are ridden that way need more frequent oil changes to stay healthy inside the engine. For instance, when putting the bike up for winter (if that applies), especially if short-ridden, ride it until it's good and hot, change the oil then and there, and leave it ALONE. so many people think that periodic start-ups in times of no riding are good for engines. Not so. If it's going to be laid up for a longer period of time, like a year or more, occasional starter 'bumps', to move the pistons up or down just a bit, so that the rings don't leave a 'legacy' on the cylinders, ESPECIALLY with slightly watery oil, is also a good idea. You could also, probably better, manually turn the crankshaft just a bit by turning the RH crank nut just a bit. Unless the ambient temp is fairly high (depending on location and season) I would tend to avoid short 'errand rides'. I used to live on an island in Maine, maybe a 5-min ride to work, and my oil sight glass was always foggy, tried to balance the go-to-work rides with longer ones after work to 'dry' the oil out.
              sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
              '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
              '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
              '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
              '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
              '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
              '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
              '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
              '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
              '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

You need to do a 20 mile romp on the bike to get the oil up to temp to burn out the moisture. Short 8-9 miles ride won't even come close. That's the main reason I don't ride my bike to work. I only live about mile, even the long way around isn't but a couple miles. Besides I keep my bike at work anyways lol.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Agreed with everything posted above on the longer ride.

Not sure if this applies on your bike but if you see what I am describing in mechanical pieces then it does and should be looked into along with the longer rides.

I had the same problem as you.
                  Just after a oil change.
                  More then just the fogged window though,
                  Had much bubbling and my oil had a milky green look.
                  The bike was being ridden for longer rides though, back and forth to work with 15-20 min each way.

I really think I may have bought a bad batch of oil.

I asked a friend who raced bikes back in the day and he suggested looking into the following.

The very top of my valve cover has a rectangular cover with a hose coming out that attaches to airbox.
                  This vents the condensation out of the motor and is assisted with the air pull of the carbs.
                  You need to make sure the hose is hooked up on both ends and clear for vapor travel.
                  The plastic nipple the hose attaches to on my airbox was broken.
                  After fixing and a oil change I never saw greenish big bubbled oil again.

If memory serves I was using either Suzuki or Honda oil at the time.
                  I switched oil to a diesel engine oil with that oil change.
                  Have been using diesel type oils ever since.

Also bought a new o-ring for around the filler cap as the bike was parked outside at night and weather exposed.

Made sure all my spark plugs were good and tight.

Bought a bike cover.

Covered all my bases to try and insure it did not reoccur/
                  Have not had a problem of that type again.
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-03-2014, 08:22 PM. Reason: space

Comment

Crankthat -

I found what you were referring to, but it's just a bare nipple. No hose attached. I have pod filters (previous owner installed).

Comment

My suggestion will make the tree-huggers want to lynch me, but it will help your engine.

Get a new breather hose from Suzuki. It is part number 09352-11153-00B, and is item #14 on THIS PAGE.

Yes, it's just a touch over $24, but you get six feet of hose. Put one end on the breather cover, run the hose over the back of the engine and have it end below the swingarm. If you cut a taper on the end (front lower than the back), it will create a bit of suction as you go down the road, keeping the crankcase vented.

This is the way all the old cars did it, then someone invented "Positive Crankcase Ventilation" (PCV) and cycled the vapors through the engine to burn them, which was better for the environment. Since you no longer have an airbox to route the vapors through the carbs, you can do it like this or find a way to install a catch tank, but you will still need to vent the tank.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Did the crankcase vent reroute as per Steve's suggestion. I just used 3/8 inch fuel line hose from autozone, which should be about the same thing and ran it down the the swing arm angled away from the rear tire (just in case). I'm a little confused about the cut.

I did like this: ====/

With the cut starting further up the line on the bottom then tapering into a point facing the top.

Secondly I took it for a long ride yesterday and 20 minutes into it I ran into trouble. I was doing about 65 in Fifth when I slowly started losing power. I stopped at a stoplight and it shut off while trying to idle. I got it cranked back up by giving it some gas and pulled into a nearby gas station. After letting it sit a bit I took my helmet off so I could hear it better and it started back up after turning over several times more than normal, but then it idled fine, I even revved it up a bit and it didn't bog down. To me it felt like getting something stuck in the carb and then pulling it through.

I had lunch and let it cool off then I drove it back home. On the way home after driving for a bit it did the same exact thing, but not as severe. I got home and pulled the pod filters off to clean the carbs and there was thin black oily liquid in the carb mouths. Now I'm not quite sure what to do.

Comment

Strange.
                          Possibly pinching your fuel or vacuum line with new breather hose install?

Comment

Blow by coming into your carbs?
                            Rob
                            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by gettingtobeaguru View Post
                              I got home and pulled the pod filters off to clean the carbs and there was thin black oily liquid in the carb mouths. Now I'm not quite sure what to do.
                              Have you made certain that the cam chain adjuster is working properly? Adjusted the valves within the past 4,000 miles?

Comment

Working...
                              X