No announcement yet.

Condensation in the oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was pre-breather hose installation.

Comment

GSX1000E - is there a good online instructional as to how to adjust the valves? I have had the bike less than 1000 miles, but I have no idea what the PO did.

Also I have an inline fuel filter. I cleaned that out after the long ride and there was some fairly large debris in there (looked like the tank coating). I wonder if

A. The debris could have been restricting fuel flow which might have caused my bogging down symptoms.

B. The fuel filter is storing at least an ounce of fuel in it after the bike is shut down. Could that be leaking down into the carb later and replicating a situation (albeit to a lesser extent) like leaving the petcock in primer mode?
      Last edited by Guest; 11-05-2014, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gettingtobeaguru View Post
        Did the crankcase vent reroute as per Steve's suggestion. I just used 3/8 inch fuel line hose from autozone, which should be about the same thing and ran it down the the swing arm angled away from the rear tire (just in case). I'm a little confused about the cut.

I did like this: ====/
        From your diagram, there is no way to tell if that is angled correctly, so I will try to describe it a bit better.

The end of the hose will basically be pointing straight down. Cut it at about a 45-degree angle so that the front of the hose is longer than the rear. That will deflect a bit of air away from the tip when the bike is moving, creating a slight suction to keep the hose vented.

Directing the end of the hose away from the tire is not a bad idea, but if you have enough oil vapor coming through that hose to affect the tire, you have other problems that will need to be addressed, too.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I believe that the tutorial can be found on Basscliff's site. If YOU have never done it since owning the bike, it is a MUST DO.
          You also need to check to make certain that the cam chain tensioner is adjusted correctly/working right.
          I only have in-line fuel filters on two of my bikes and that is only because one does not have the factory petcock screen and the other has a slightly rusty tank.
          I doubt that it would cause a flooding condition if your needles/seats are working. Although, every one of these bikes with CV carbs, I have found the fuel seat O-rings to be leaking and causing a flooding condition.
          Have you gotten your O-ring kits from www.cycleorings.com yet and installed them after thoroughly cleaning the carbs?

Comment

GSX1000E - is there a good online instructional as to how to adjust the valves?
            Evidently you have not been given your Mega-Welcome and been directed to the library, where you can find your Valve Adjustment Tutorial, which supplements, not replaces, your Factory Service Manual.

I have had the bike less than 1000 miles, but I have no idea what the PO did.
            That part is EASY. Unless you were there to watch it happen, it probably didn't.

Also I have an inline fuel filter. I cleaned that out after the long ride and there was some fairly large debris in there (looked like the tank coating).
            Most of us don't like external filters, but it sounds like one is necessary, in your case. Fix the problem with the tank, then get rid of the filter. Unless it is a filter specifically made for a gravity-fed fuel system (unlike cars with fuel pumps), it is probably too restrictive to allow enough fuel to flow.

A. The debris could have been restricting fuel flow which might have caused my bogging down symptoms.
            It certainly didn't help anything.

B. The fuel filter is storing at least an ounce of fuel in it after the bike is shut down. Could that be leaking down into the carb later and replicating a situation (albeit to a lesser extent) like leaving the petcock in primer mode?
            If it is "leaking down", then you have a problem with your float valves, too. Sounds like it's time to catch up on about 30 years worth of past-due maintenance.

Besides the valve adjustment, it's probably a good idea to Rebuild the Carbs, too.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X