Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 GS550 Fuel Tank Cover Hinge

Hi guys,

This one has been a low priority on my list for a while and I've finally got some time to resolve it. Shortly after I bought my bike I noticed that the fuel tank cover "comes right off" (because the hinge was no longer hinging). I don't even know how a proper one of these looks but it seems that the pin that runs through the knuckle had rusted into place and had come free of the tank cover body. The PO came up with a solution that hooked behind the hinge knuckle and held the cover in place when the lock was set up front (see images below). It's basically a mess of weld and wire.

IMG_20141117_134153.jpg

I can't find any images online for how the OEM hinge connection works so I'm wondering if anybody has had a similar problem in the past and come up with an elegant solution that actually hinges? Should I even consider J-B Weld?

Thanks

Or... It would be appreciated if someone with a fuel tank cover would take a picture of the underside at hinge so that I can see how it is supposed to connect.

Thanks

Comment

Anyone with a '76-'79 750 could also post some pictures for you as they are the same set up.

Comment

I will try to remember to snap a picture tonight when I get home.

Comment

Anyone with a fuel tank cover able to open it up and take a picture of the tank-hinge-cover body connection for me? I'm either going to rig something with JB Weld or wait long enough so that buying a NOS cover from eBay for $80 doesn't sting so bad.

Thanks.

Comment

DSC00402.jpg

Hinge from a GS750. It's identical to a GS550.

Comment

Originally posted by JE550B View Post
              ... or wait long enough so that buying a NOS cover from eBay for $80 doesn't sting so bad.

Thanks.
              eBay item no. 131070395237. Sure, it's from a GS400, but it will fit the same. Better get it before someone else does.

Comment

Originally posted by postman_pat View Post
                Hinge from a GS750. It's identical to a GS550.
                THANK YOU! That plate on the cover body doesn't even exist on mine (if it did a new hinge pin would be a piece of cake). I have seen a few NOS GS400 covers come up on eBay since I've been looking but thought they might be too short for my tank. Is it an incorrect assumption that if the original Suzuki part number is different between models then it is not exactly the same part?

If you think they are the same that eBay auction you pointed me to is a great deal. Thanks again!

Comment

Hinge on my 78 550E.

tank_cover1.jpg

Comment

Looks like there are different designs for the 550 and 750.

Comment

Originally posted by 78550GS View Post
                      Looks like there are different designs for the 550 and 750.
                      Well, now we're getting somewhere. Thanks everyone for the pics. I went ahead and bought the '77 GS400 cover off eBay so we'll soon have the whole collection! I'll post the results when it gets in (and maybe a new cry for help).

Comment

Originally posted by JE550B View Post
                        THANK YOU! That plate on the cover body doesn't even exist on mine (if it did a new hinge pin would be a piece of cake). I have seen a few NOS GS400 covers come up on eBay since I've been looking but thought they might be too short for my tank. Is it an incorrect assumption that if the original Suzuki part number is different between models then it is not exactly the same part?

If you think they are the same that eBay auction you pointed me to is a great deal. Thanks again!
                        The GS400, GS550 and GS750 covers are interchangeable, but not identical. Apologies for the confusion, I should have given the reply more thought, and said that the GS750 cover is interchangeable with the 550, not identical. You are right - they have different part nos. and therefore they differ in minor details, such as the construction of the hinge, and whether the covers have rubber dampers built in.

I can assure you that a GS400 cover will fit a 550, or alternatively, a cover from the 750. I have all three of these tanks with the original covers in the shed, plus loads of spare covers which I've collected and swapped around over the years. Now that I think about it, I seem to recall that the first GS750 I bought had a 550 cover (broken at the hinge), which I replaced with the one in the photo I provided. I always try to get the 750 covers, they seem to be the ones with the sturdiest construction.
                        Last edited by Guest; 11-26-2014, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X