difference between IHRA and NHRA ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
    here is my top gas bike we was racing in IDBA 1992 when Scott had his accident in memphis.
    this is from national trails though.
    I don't remember your bike but I do the one you are running in that photo. I also remembered why I was not racing at Memphis that year. I had 3 different 3 speeds. All were out for repair. Those things were around 3500 each then. We ran a lot of Top Gas while working bugs out and as my budget allowed. That pro mod just killed me financially. Those OE Suzuki three speeds were just damn junk. The kaw tranny's were far better and I often found myself wishing I was running the Z engine, especially when the billet head came out.

I quickly gave up on the FJ around 1990. Just ran it locally. It was a killer bike for that. You simply could not keep tranny's in it(even a billet tranny) at anything faster than top gas index reliably. Locally we ran it in the southern cycle racing association. A 4-5 track series mostly in NC. It drew well. Elmer Trett and several more were contracted to run match races. It packed em in.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-18-2015, 01:02 AM.

Comment

that was Terry McIntosh riding it..picture of a picture isn't very good..lol
      i didn't ride my own bikes till around 99..found out it was easier to tune than to ride and tune.
      honestly the bike in the picture only needed gas and slicks...oil changes ect..
      the 3 speed deal was bad for me..kept snapping the fork nubs off at the shift drum..
      here's a picture of the funny when bones bought it...was gas/nitrous in the picture then Billy installed his alky kit from the cradle conversion pro comp on it.
      gas turbo was easy but i admit the alky killed a couple credit cards from my lack of experiance and i put it in storage...
      Attached Files

Comment

Is this what you wish you had Chris? Here is a Kawasaki three speed of my friend Tom Haustue (sp) He ran a funny bike out of George Babor's shop for a little bit in the 90's Tom then moved back home to Ohio about ten years ago. He sold his bike, motor home and trailer to get into the restaurant business. He should have kept his motorcycle, the restaurant business is brutal...
        Attached Files
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
          Is this what you wish you had Chris? Here is a Kawasaki three speed of my friend Tom Haustue (sp) He ran a funny bike out of George Babor's shop for a little bit in the 90's Tom then moved back home to Ohio about ten years ago. He sold his bike, motor home and trailer to get into the restaurant business. He should have kept his motorcycle, the restaurant business is brutal...
          Oh yeah. It used to kill me. Friends running Kaws would go all season. Get a touch up and good for another season. I started making my own forks, even the really long one. Of course I machined my cases to drop the forks out the bottom. One thing I did do that eventually helped with cracking output shafts was go to a double wide cylindrical output bearing. No circlip, just red locktite. I had a all kosman bike and it had the huge bearing support.....just would not hold up.

As I mentioned earlier I had purchased one of the rare Suzuki 3 speeds like T J Hoffmiester(sp?) used with good results. I started a true funnybike with puppet chassis(although I preferred kosman but could not afford it). By then I had grown to heavy, I would have never thought 180 was to heavy but it was. Friend of mine that went 135 was a far better rider than me and even better mechanic which helped a lot. Easy on equipment and tough on the lights. We won that southern cycle racing top eliminator class several years in a row. (4.80 1/8th mile index, we could run that with no nitrous) It was made clear by track decisions several times we were not really wanted to win another. I eventually lose interest by more than anything the financial strain it caused and never finished that Puppet bike. I think it would have been a good one. People that bought it could have torn up a anvil with a rubber hammer. They made a half a$$ mess out of it. Poor rider and even less talented wrench working on it.

Bobby Baker and his issues made it clear to me that I was NOT going with a alcohol bike. TJ did great on the Mr Turbo on alcohol but he was not really willing to readily share his expertise. Bobby finally got a guy with some USAC experience with methanol and it helped but he never did get the hang of it. That was his last hurray......By then also Rusty Quisenberry was on 4 stage nitrous....it pained me seeing Z heads split in half...
          Last edited by Guest; 01-18-2015, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X